Clément Lenglet

Tom13

34 minutes ago, NeilS said:

You are right, I had the same conversation with my Dad on the way out of the ground. By the letter of the law he is onside as in my opinion the defender makes a purposeful header, but the rule is broken as if the goalie saves it and it falls to him he would be classed as offside. They have tinkered so much with the rules over the years, that it makes no sense. It is so confusing, and there is always a scenario where the rule is a joke.

Remember the Man City goal which came from a Ming's header?  That was accidental, the AZ guys was purposeful, which means Bailey can't be offside. 

It's a weird rule, it would be easier if the rules said Bailey WAS offside (because he took advantage from an offside position), but there's this.. weird subtlety about it which makes if difficult to officiate. 

• Like 1

I struggle as anyone else with this rule but I have to say that if it is your actual job to know the rules and implement the rules in real time - then not just last night's officials but plenty more are really stealing a living.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, NeilS said:

I am saying it should be the same, and it is the same, but the rules have been put in place that a deliberate attempt to play the ball by the defender makes Bailey onside again. It is a stupid rule, because if the goalie saved it and falls to a player in an offside position for a tap in that should/would be ruled out. They have tinkered so much with offside rule to get it right, but there will always be a scenario where it is wrong.

Got you mate. I had no idea that was the rule and agree it makes no sense.

36 minutes ago, NeilS said:

Anyway, I thought Lenglet and Carlos looked a very decent partnership last night. We are well covered in that department for now.

My only concern was Lenglet caught out for the goal by the ball around the side of him, he has a warning a few minutes earlier which we got away with. I will cut him some slack though as he hasn’t played much, and even the best get caught out occasionally.

To rely on such a high line you need to play the same back 4 as much as possible so considering it was quite changed I think they did ok. Would probably get punished against better opposition though. 

I think Emi’s sweeping was very good.

Overall Lenglet looks a decent addition.

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Like 1

Quell surprise, not a sniff in the media today about a VAR wrongly chalked off goal.

if it were Oil City, Manure, Klopp Utd, Postecoglou' boys, Poch's Billion Pound Army or Arteta's T*its, they would be all over it like flies around sh*t.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, MaVilla said:

Quell surprise, not a sniff in the media today about a VAR wrongly chalked off goal.

if it were Oil City, Manure, Klopp Utd, Postecoglou' boys, Poch's Billion Pound Army or Arteta's T*its, they would be all over it like flies around sh*t.

Tbf it was a Conference League game, not a Prem game.

i think he has done pretty good in the few games he has played.

One thing i did notice versus AZ though, is he isnt yet confident in the system, and/or isnt fully confident in himself to implement Emery's system.

by that i mean, a few times when we were trying to play the high line, where normally you see the back 4 in a near perfect line and trying to hold it, Lenglet was allowing himself to drop ever so slightly deeper and it borked the whole back 4 line as he was sometimes 1 meter ish deeper than the other 3 defenders.

Not a huge issue, but im now kinda used to an almost telepathic and comfortable back 4 in terms of holding that line and knowing when to step up or step back as a unit.

the only other defender who i notice that sometimes steps back a little too far, outside of the defensive line is Cash, but Lenglet was clearly doing it versus AZ, maybe he doesnt back his pace and recovery, or maybe he isnt yet comfortable holding that high a line.

Anyways, not a moan, just an observation, overall i think he has looked decent when called on.

16 hours ago, lapal_fan said:

Remember the Man City goal which came from a Ming's header?  That was accidental, the AZ guys was purposeful, which means Bailey can't be offside. 

It's a weird rule, it would be easier if the rules said Bailey WAS offside (because he took advantage from an offside position), but there's this.. weird subtlety about it which makes if difficult to officiate. 

Ironically, that Mings incident was a catalyst for another tweak to the rule at the time with a focus on whether the defender deliberately plays the ball or not. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Jareth said:

I struggle as anyone else with this rule but I have to say that if it is your actual job to know the rules and implement the rules in real time - then not just last night's officials but plenty more are really stealing a living.

Couldn’t agree more. It’s the referee’s job to know the rules. It shouldn’t be that difficult, especially now that they have VAR at their disposal to take a second look. We had armchair supporters calling foul because the defender deliberately headed the ball. 

• Like 1

Lenglet looks good on the ball but as others have said he seemed to be outpaced by Vangelis for the AZ goal, and may not be quick enough for our high line approach.

Unlucky with the goal, but it was offside.  The header off the line is considered as a save because the ball was going in.  The fact it was a deliberate header is also covered by the law, because it specifies "deliberately saved by any opponent".  As the Law stands, it was offside and the officials got it right.   

• 3 weeks later...

The last he played I was watching him play thinking Pau is having a good game and the camera then cut to the dugout and I saw Pau on the bench cheerfully smiling at his doppelganger on the pitch who I then realized was in fact Lenglet.

• Haha 1

He's a bit too good to just be rolled out in Conference League games. It's good for us and if he's happy win win, but I think we could have a problem holding onto him in Jan if some decent teams come after him.

I'd assume as we head into the KO stages of this competition Pau should come in at some point as well. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, useless said:

The last he played I was watching him play thinking Pau is having a good game and the camera then cut to the dugout and I saw Pau on the bench cheerfully smiling at his doppelganger on the pitch who I then realized was in fact Lenglet.

I did that last night.  He did some fake of playing the ball down the left, turned back, went back down the left again and I thought "Nice, Torres is learning those fakes rather than 'just' passing the ball".

Nope, it was Lenglet :D 

Â