Clément Lenglet

Tom13

2 hours ago, MotoMkali said:

Zaniolo was only cuptied for the playoff games because he played for Galatasaray in the Champions League Qualifiers, barca qualified outright so he couldn't be. 

2 hours ago, ferguson1 said:

Apologies for the daft question but would he be available for ECL games or is he cup tied? Just not sure of the rules or if he’s even played any games for Barcelona this season.

I don't think he was cup tied, he just missed the registration window for the qualifying round.

The deadline for the tournament proper is 5th September, so anyone we sign before then can be added to our squad.

On the topic of this guy...can't say I've ever heard of him. 

Edited by MrBlack
  • Thanks 1

I think he would play the hybrid centre/left back role a little more naturally than Torres should we want to go that way.  The wages thing seems a bit of a red herring as I read that some of it had been deferred from previous seasons due to Barca's financial problems and they want to just get rid on the cheap if possible instead.

2 hours ago, ferguson1 said:

Apologies for the daft question but would he be available for ECL games or is he cup tied? Just not sure of the rules or if he’s even played any games for Barcelona this season.

Doesn't matter whether he has played for Barcelona or not as we are in different competitions.  I think teams need to submit their teams for the group stages of the ECL by next Tuesday.  So you would imagine that Zaniolo, Lenglet (if signed) and anyone else we sign before the transfer window slams shut would have plenty of time to be registered.

2 hours ago, MotoMkali said:

Zaniolo was only cuptied for the playoff games because he played for Galatasaray in the Champions League Qualifiers, barca qualified outright so he couldn't be. 

Zaniolo didn't sign in time for the registration of players (Friday) for the last qualification round - he would have been eligible to play but we couldn't register him in time.  We can register him for the group matches.

9 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

So is this a loan or permanent transfer?

I think a loan. If was permanent I would be confused as where Mings would fit in when back fit. 

Maybe creative LCB - Torres/Lenglet

Dominant ball winner / base of back 3 - Carlos/Mings

Konsa the "Foyth" RCB. 

So we'd have Moreno or Cash as attacking full back + 3 CBs from above 5

Edited by CVByrne

5 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

I think a loan. If was permanent I would be confused as where Mings would fit in when back fit. 

Maybe creative LCB - Torres/Lenglet

Dominant ball winner / base of back 3 - Carlos/Mings

Konsa the "Foyth" RCB. 

So we'd have Moreno or Cash as attacking full back + 3 CBs from above 5

Seems logical 

5 hours ago, briny_ear said:

Any particular reason, or just laying down a unfounded opinion?

Yeah the "particular" reason here would be the fact that we have much greater need elsewhere, and I trust an excellent manager like Emery to see that.

2 hours ago, sharkyvilla said:

I think he would play the hybrid centre/left back role a little more naturally than Torres should we want to go that way.  The wages thing seems a bit of a red herring as I read that some of it had been deferred from previous seasons due to Barca's financial problems and they want to just get rid on the cheap if possible instead.

A big advantage and benefit if he can perform well in that role… I don’t like Pau playing there (keep him in his best position) and we could do with a more defensive alternative to Moreno and Digne when required and when Unai wants to tinker… we could flip the system so that the RB bombs forwards instead for instance…

options.

9 hours ago, eholm said:

Mings replacement. Different profile but need 4 CBs. Unai clearly sees Chambers as RB (3rd choice?) so needed a 4th CB. Loan you would imagine. 

Yep. It's been in the pipeline for a while. 

Chambers possibly hanging around to provide cover for Carlos while Konsa provides cover for RB I would say - if push ever came to shove.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

I would hazard a guess that it will prob be a loan with a fee in the region of £6m/7m and we cover 100% of his wages - possibly option to buy later maybe.

That’s quite expensive for a loan mate… unless I’ve read your comment wrongly or misunderstood.

I thought loan fees were fairly minor, up to £1m perhaps but what do I know? 😆

If Barca are asking for 10m euros… that’s just over £8.5m? For a permanent transfer… we may as well buy him in that case.

I’d prefer a low cost loan until Mings is back (God I miss him…)… see how Ty is doing ahead of next season, send Lenglet back, then maybe look to bring in a young, high potential CB at some point instead…

Unless Lenglet massively impresses and we decide to sign him after the loan… 

Hopefully before then, Pau and Carlos will have shown their class and quality, I have a lot of faith in them and think it could be an excellent partnership. We all know Ezri is class too and will probably end up playing more in that RB role than CB…

Was very average for Spurs.

However if we're starting three CBs like the last two matches we obviously need another CB in given Chambers might be needed at RB or DM at points this season.

Lenglet also played regularly in back 3 last season so would be o.k with it.

30 minutes ago, striker said:

Surely to goodness there are better defenders available than this guy for extra cover? Spurs mate of mine says he’s absolute shite!

Difference is he's not coming in to start every week here unless we get further injuries. At Spurs he was.

I imagine he'll probably rotate with Pau in the europa games.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Leeroy said:

It's not a particularly exciting signing and Spurs hardly seemed desperate to bring him back, but he does give us a bit more depth in defence which we probably need. 

I'm not sure about him defensively at all, just look at the number of goals Spurs conceded last season and Lenglet started quite a lot of games for them (although he was playing alongside Eric Dier of course), but he is very good on the ball as are most defenders that Barca buy. He'd be able to come in and play in Emery's system easily. He's not playing over Torres in the league though so he will have to accept being a squad player and playing in the cups, I assume he's ok with that. 

I'm ok with him coming in to replace Hause in the squad who I hope we have found a home for elsewhere. Carlos, Konsa, Torres, Lenglet are decent centre back options, and then Chambers, Kamara and Dendoncker can all play there in emergencies. 

It was a Spurs team in 4th CL position for most of the season until Conte has his meltdown. Spurs decided to go for a younger new CB position rather than an ageing one with the new manager.

Doesnt make him a bad player.

Â