Nicolò Zaniolo

Delphinho123

47 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Was there much information about the obligation to buy clause? I think I remember it was something like 25 games we had to buy him or pay a "get out" fee to cancel the obligation if triggered. Anyone got the details?

I don’t think there is a confirmation of how many games, it’s more of speculations. 

Watched it from the second half and pretty much like he is here, some nice close control before coming infield and running endlessly into defenders and losing the ball.

Chiesa was brilliant on the other side though at both ends. Probably wasn't a realistic link but that type out wide would elevate us so much.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Watched it from the second half and pretty much like he is here, some nice close control before coming infield and running endlessly into defenders and losing the ball.

Chiesa was brilliant on the other side though at both ends. Probably wasn't a realistic link but that type out wide would elevate us so much.

I thought Zaniolo was much better in the first half. He was involved in creating some decent opportunities. The pundits were complimentary. He seemed to tire in the second half. He doesn’t look like his conditioning and fitness is quite at the level it could or should be. It’s noticeable how close he stays to the right sideline, like a traditional right winger. But as a result, he seems to struggle to get into dangerous positions. I feel like there’s an element of hesitation there too, like he’s reluctant to drive forward and take a chance for whatever reason. But I’d say he played well overall and was definitely better than the guy who replaced him. 

Chiesa, on the other hand, is just a joy to watch. Boundless energy, work rate, trickery, dribbling, end product. And brilliant at tracking back and helping the defence. Zaniolo didn’t contribute enough in this area in my opinion, which brings me back to the fitness point I touched on earlier. 

• Like 4

Yeah Chiesa was excellent, Zaniolo put in a really good shift though. Second half Italy had to dig deep and stay compact and grit it out a bit but Zaniolo still had some good moments till he got a knock. 

Hopefully not too serious and he can continue to improve his fitness and get some more games for us.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Frodo said:

Have a feeling we will be Lording this lad in 12 months time, some talk he hasn't played in the position Emery wants him to yet, surely everyone can see this lad has ability. In Emery we trust 💪

He's definitely not played in historically his best positions for us yet for more than a few minutes anyway.

To be fair to him, his xG+ xA per 90 has him 4th behind Bailey, Watkins & Diaby

While on xG he's 3rd behind Watkins & Bailey. So he's just been unlucky really not to have got the goals or assists yet. He's underlying numbers are good especially as he's better as a 10 or RM

• Like 1

12 hours ago, MWARLEY2 said:

I saw Spaletti the other day commenting on him. Saying that he thinks he can be turned into a proper centre forward due to his size and skillset. 

I also think this so it’s great to have a real manager jump in with some confirmation bias 

13 hours ago, MWARLEY2 said:

I saw Spaletti the other day commenting on him. Saying that he thinks he can be turned into a proper centre forward due to his size and skillset. 

His size is pretty rare for a player like that. It puts his ceiling really really high.

If his body holds together, we'll be buying him for £25m in the summer. Hopefully we'll be given the option to do so after the euros not before.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, MWARLEY2 said:

Him at Napoli under Spalletti would've been really interesting.

In some ways I think he's our Havertz, you can see with the build and general profile he's got the potential to be a top tier player but it dosen't just quite come together on the pitch and feeling he's not playing in most effective position for that to happen.

Â