Nicolò Zaniolo

Delphinho123

17 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Agree

I'm not sure if my expectation and excitement of him has died down but I'm seeing him as a 1 year loan to plug a gap while JJ and Buendia are injured

We're not going to try him on the right because he's got no future there

And in that context he's fine, he's doing OK, he's an indication of how far we've come

I don't think he'll be here next year, I don't think he'll end this year starting for us, he's nothing to worry about, more hope that JJ gets fit and this guy will be a good back up, he's doing his job here

Yeah I deffo think the way he's being used is cover for Ramsey/Buendia, he's more the former in terms of style and what he's being asked to do. Drive it forward from left midfield. He's doing ok you're right but he can do much better, he's got some time to do it as well. 

Why do you think the bit in bold? I think his best position is either the Bailey or Diaby role in Emery's system. We don't have a lot behind Bailey that's better than Zaniolo? Likewise I'd say Zaniolo is first choice if Diaby is injured. Once he gets a chance further up the pitch or on his preferred side I think there's a much better chance we'll see him shine. If you think we could pay one player to cover 3 positions then he might be good value to bring in permanently right?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, romavillan said:

Yeah I deffo think the way he's being used is cover for Ramsey/Buendia, he's more the former in terms of style and what he's being asked to do. Drive it forward from left midfield. He's doing ok you're right but he can do much better, he's got some time to do it as well. 

Why do you think the bit in bold? I think his best position is either the Bailey or Diaby role in Emery's system. We don't have a lot behind Bailey that's better than Zaniolo? Likewise I'd say Zaniolo is first choice if Diaby is injured. Once he gets a chance further up the pitch or on his preferred side I think there's a much better chance we'll see him shine. If you think we could pay one player to cover 3 positions then he might be good value to bring in permanently right?

i think we'd be shifting a guy who is staying here long term (diaby, bailey) to accommodate someone who is here short term and ultimately the balance between getting more out of zaniolo resulting in getting less out of diaby

also think when we transition we often move diaby up top alongside watkins with then watkins liking to drift left so diaby started more out there is he eating in to watkins space in a way that zaniolo doesnt

maybe we try it when we have moreno and JJ back fit but as it is right now diaby right zaniolo middle leftish is on balance the best we have even it means zaniolo suffers

its a tough gig for him and thats why i think he's doing ok, i dont think he's staying though and if he did with everyone fit its traore that he's replacing 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, villa4europe said:

i think we'd be shifting a guy who is staying here long term (diaby, bailey) to accommodate someone who is here short term and ultimately the balance between getting more out of zaniolo resulting in getting less out of diaby

also think when we transition we often move diaby up top alongside watkins with then watkins liking to drift left so diaby started more out there is he eating in to watkins space in a way that zaniolo doesnt

maybe we try it when we have moreno and JJ back fit but as it is right now diaby right zaniolo middle leftish is on balance the best we have even it means zaniolo suffers

its a tough gig for him and thats why i think he's doing ok, i dont think he's staying though and if he did with everyone fit its traore that he's replacing 

Fair assessment probably, right now it's hard to see him getting Diaby's returns in the same position. 

I think he could be better than Bailey or McGinn on the right though and give us something more there. Only thing is then you put McGinn in the Ramsey role and he sometimes just disappears there.

I think he could be better than Bailey on the right and that's the only puzzlement that we don't start out with Zaniolo on the right and McGinn on the left as we did vs AZ away.

It's going to be the position best suited for him in the Emery system besides his small cameo in the second striker role as a substitute.

2 hours ago, DJBOB said:

I think he could be better than Bailey on the right and that's the only puzzlement that we don't start out with Zaniolo on the right and McGinn on the left as we did vs AZ away.

It's going to be the position best suited for him in the Emery system besides his small cameo in the second striker role as a substitute.

perfect role for him would be in the middle of the 3 in a 4-2-3-1 with a lot of freedom, but Emery isn't going to play like that ever. 

I'm sure a few game run on the right or second striker would do him the world of good but we could do without an injury to Diaby but I can't see why we can't do a straight swap with Bailey sometimes... 

2 hours ago, romavillan said:

perfect role for him would be in the middle of the 3 in a 4-2-3-1 with a lot of freedom, but Emery isn't going to play like that ever. 

I'm sure a few game run on the right or second striker would do him the world of good but we could do without an injury to Diaby but I can't see why we can't do a straight swap with Bailey sometimes... 

To be fair there's no reason he couldn't play in place of Diaby and just play a tiny bit deeper. That would fit your model.

Edit: it's confirmed, Emery reads VillaTalk 👀

Edited by AV82

I think similar to Cash when Emery first came in, he's not got it yet.

He's unsure of everything he does. Hesitant, nervy. Should I be here? Am I blocking someone else? Who's got my man if we lose it...oh porca vacca I've lost it.

Still don't think he should be as wasteful in possession as he is mind. Convinced he's carrying half an injury.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Tomaszk said:

I think similar to Cash when Emery first came in, he's not got it yet.

He's unsure of everything he does. Hesitant, nervy. Should I be here? Am I blocking someone else? Who's got my man if we lose it...oh porca vacca I've lost it.

Still don't think he should be as wasteful in possession as he is mind. Convinced he's carrying half an injury.

In a way this is encouraging as it's still very early days. If anyone can get the best out of him it's Emery and it's clear to see the ability is there.

• Like 1

What has stood out for me about our play this season: We don't "overplay" as much.

Probably best seen in our match against Wet Spam. We had large spells of possession where we probed and prodded, but when it clearly wasn't on we just recycled possession and started again.

Zaniolo isn't there yet. It feels like with every touch he gets he tries to make something happen. Occasionally we get a shot on goal or a clever piece to beat a man...

... but usually it just means he turns it over through a loose pass or running into dead ends.

It will come given enough time with Emery. It has for every other regular player.

Â