Nicolò Zaniolo

Delphinho123

Can't have been easy playing having sat being given the interrogation treatment the day before by Italian authorities and unsure what his fine is going to be.

He'll be better against Forest now that weight is off his shoulders.

14 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

He does something that the rest of the side don't do as well - drive at defenders - he's powerful and has good feet, wins us free kicks and get the ball up the pitch. He's been ridiculously unlucky not to have scored yet and I think it's coming. I don't see him as any sort of problem for us.

At the moment though, one of the perhaps unseen positives he's having is motivating Bailey - Bailey seems slimmer, sharper and keener than in a while and I think the two of them can drive each other on.

I like him, I think he's still settling and I think he'll improve as the season goes on.

Great post. I’d add that Nicolo has an incredible, unique, enigmatic flair that he can do things on the ball and create chances from nothing. There’s a lot he brings and he’s still adjusting to the league. 

There’s a good player in there, he’s physical and has some skill.

But he’s lacking fitness, needs to adjust to the pace of the PL and he’s trying a bit too hard. 

5 hours ago, KevinRichardsonsMoustache said:

Same. He has a rawness alongside that physicality that is so reminiscent of those technically gifted players in the 90s (needed to be able to take a beating, while trying to go past players). I think this is why I like him: a mixture of a leggy Carbone with the robustness of Milosevic. 

You can see Unai must rate him highly to allow him in the team when he isn't fully immersed in the system yet. It takes players some time to get into Emery's style of play (see Cash last season). The resurgence of Bailey has made Zaniolo's steady progress look less impressive. 

Add to this the fact that the last few weeks have probably been some of the worst of his life and I'd say he's coping remarkably well. 

You’ve summed it up perfectly . He’s very old school. I love players that like to run at people instead of trying to pass it around the opposition. 

• Like 3

Some articles quoting his legal representatives around today saying nothing has come to light in the investigations that suggests Zaniolo has bet on football matches. So that looks good for him, might be in the clear on the sporting front now.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, romavillan said:

Some articles quoting his legal representatives around today saying nothing has come to light in the investigations that suggests Zaniolo has bet on football matches. So that looks good for him, might be in the clear on the sporting front now.

Excellent news if true and hopefully he can put it behind him and concentrate of his football and settling in. 

• Like 1

On 29/10/2023 at 21:16, OutByEaster? said:

He does something that the rest of the side don't do as well - drive at defenders - he's powerful and has good feet, wins us free kicks and get the ball up the pitch. He's been ridiculously unlucky not to have scored yet and I think it's coming. I don't see him as any sort of problem for us.

At the moment though, one of the perhaps unseen positives he's having is motivating Bailey - Bailey seems slimmer, sharper and keener than in a while and I think the two of them can drive each other on.

I like him, I think he's still settling and I think he'll improve as the season goes on.

Also Bailey (a bit like Buendia) tends to do better coming on as a sub than he does when he starts.  So like you say having options that bring the best out of other players is an added bonus that shouldn't be underestimated.  Gone are the days when we don't make subs or the team immediately looks weaker when the subs come on.  Now Emery is able to use substitutions strategically.  Even if it is just to give key players a little extra rest without it being a massive risk.  I think we'll really see the benefit of this as the season progresses (especially with us being able to control games without playing at 100% full on effort the whole time) as those players stay fitter, healthier and fresher far deeper into the season than they would have been able to 12 - 24 months ago had we had a similar number of games.

• Like 1

On 30/10/2023 at 07:13, villarule123 said:

I like him but I can't help but think there's another level or two we can go up with Ramsey in the team. And Moreno to come back too! 

Zaniolo's natural position so far through his career is VERY different to Ramsey's.  But like McGinn has done - he's been played out of his natural position because of injuries. He's still played fewer than 10 matches in this deeper left-sided role.

That said it might be that under Emery, Zaniolo ends up moving more into that position.  In many ways the similarities (in terms of their styles) between Diaby & Bailey and Zaniolo & Ramsey might mean that you can swap them more easily without necessarily changing the way that we play.  But if that happens it is still important to remember that this is a completely different role and position to the one that Zaniolo has played throughout his career.  I think this gets forgotten sometimes because he signed so soon after Buendia was injured and was tagged by some people at that point as Buendia's replacement.  I think we'd have signed Zaniolo even if Buendia hadn't got injured and that we'd have used him more as competition for Diaby / Bailey.  I also think that it is no coincidence that Bailey is playing better now that he has Diaby and Zaniolo who can both play in his position.

I like him, but recognise he is not hitting the heights, just yet.

I think he will improve, it doesn't always happen instantly.

We are playing well enough for it not to be an issue, as for thinking his issues are a benefit, I really don't get that.

I am expecting him to come good.

20 hours ago, Keener window-cleaner said:

I don't agree with some of the scepitcal comments. I think he does a terrific job and seems to play his role almost to perfection. I understand why Emery starts him. It's not a very easy position the inverted winger role, but he has everything for it, he both contributes in the build up play by often being available for a pass, has good feet, careful and good passing. He takes up good positions to create space for the LB on the wing, he is also able to drive forward himself and has the ability to find good positions to score when we build up on the other wing. Add to that his physical presence and contribution defensively. Very few players has all these attributes that he has.

Yesterday he was unlucky with the finishing or perhaps needs to work on his concentration/finishing, but he could as well have had a hattrick.

I'm really excited to see what he can do during the course of the season. When Ramsey comes back he will need to up his game more to keep the place, and that will be really exciting. At the moment I'd say that Ramsey at his best is in front of him, but I think the potential that Zaniolo has with all his attributes he could be better than Ramsey.

I think Nic and Jacob are different, despite playing on the left.....but then again, I love diversity as it gives opportunities to change games.

1 hour ago, TRO said:

I think Nic and Jacob are different, despite playing on the left.....but then again, I love diversity as it gives opportunities to change games.

Zaniolo has played fewer than 10 games in his career on the left (and usually plays a more advanced role) so it's tough to compare him to Ramsey at the moment.  But like you say - what we do have now is genuine competition and genuine diversity across our front line.

The most annoying thing about Zaniolo is not his fault. Its the weird obsession fans have that the first goal will open the floodgates

He is not a goalscorer, his record is not a goalscorers record

• Like 1

Â