Christmas 2023

sidcow

6 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I got a question to the parents out there - do your kids still believe in father xmas? I mean back in my day we had no internet so we believed for a while.  But now with kids having access to smart phones and internet at younger ages i assume they know about him at a earlier age?

@bickster in 3... 2... 1... 

• Haha 3

6 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I got a question to the parents out there - do your kids still believe in father xmas? I mean back in my day we had no internet so we believed for a while.  But now with kids having access to smart phones and internet at younger ages i assume they know about him at a earlier age?

My daughter stopped at around 9. My grandson is 7 and still does. I hope he has a few more years of it. 

5 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

My daughter stopped at around 9. My grandson is 7 and still does. I hope he has a few more years of it. 

I found out when i was 7 as my mum made a mistake as she use to write us letters from "father xmas" but the font was the same she used to wsite another letter so i put 2 ans 2 together. 

But although i knew i didnt want to say anything as i would get one present less  🫣

1 hour ago, bickster said:

Father Xmas is just another example of the moral decay of society 

Lying to your kids and encouraging greed :D 

Pretty much what my mates daughter said to them when she found out. 

• Like 1

Really one for the memory thread, but as it’s being discussed here.

I can’t remember when I found out about Father Christmas, my suspicion is there wasn’t one particular moment, it was more a steady accumulation of realism. The belief sort of fading more than anything. 

However I do remember my form teacher when I was 9 saying to the whole class something like “Obviously you’re all old enough to know about Santa…”. Not so much doing the big reveal, but kinda just assuming we already knew in a fairly casual manner.

And I distinctly remember thinking to myself “Was that a gamble for her to say that? No kid reaches 9 before knowing the truth?”

1 hour ago, bickster said:

Father Xmas is just another example of the moral decay of society 

Lying to your kids and encouraging greed :D 

Its Thatcherism in a nutshell :crylaugh:

Tight arse 😉

You missed out on the half glass of milk and biscuit you use to eat before bed on xmas eve that was left for santa and the reindeers

Just now, Demitri_C said:

You missed out on the half glass of milk and biscuit you use to eat before bed on xmas eve that was left for santa and the reindeers

Milk? MILK?? 

Santa drinks sherry! 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

My eldest(11) admitted last week that he doesn’t believe in Santa. I’ve also had some discussions with him about god as he seems to be a staunch atheist. My two girls still believe in Santa like their dad does. Also Santa drinks milk in our house. 

father christmas drinks appleton estate and eats stollen in my house...like **** im taking bites out of carrots and leaving the remains in the garden though

might try a letter to santa with my 3 year old this year but its probably too soon

still got to figure out (argue with the wife) what day he comes (kw) I just cant bring myself to do it the night of the 24th but with my daughter at kindergarten she cant be too different or she'll see through the lie

santa comes to your house at 6pm on the 24th while you're in the dining room eating whatever your parents fancied cooking that year having worked during the day...explains so much about ze germans

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

santa comes to your house at 6pm on the 24th while you're in the dining room eating whatever your parents fancied cooking that year having worked during the day...explains so much about ze germans

So how the hell do you smuggle the presents in if the kids are still awake? 

around the age where me and my brother were asking questions regarding father xmas...after hearing rumourings from school chums that had older brothers/sisters that this fella might actually be our folks, my dad went all out to try and get another year or 2 of the fantasy.

one particularly frosty xmas morning, my dad got up extra early and pushed our sled back and forth across the front lawn to make it look like father xmas had been. he also popped into the forest the day before and scooped a load of horse shite into a bin bag to strategically place in between these newly created sled markings on xmas morning to reflect the reindeers having been there too. was a decent effort and i seem to remember it removed any doubt for a short while

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Seat68 said:

Must get a different Father Christmas here in Stafford, he drinks Whiskey, the good stuff as well. 

Same in my house. And he has a thirst too. Can sometimes polish off half a bottle on Christmas Eve, the greedy bugger. 

(We don’t have kids). 

• Haha 2

40 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

So how the hell do you smuggle the presents in if the kids are still awake? 

🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

How do you tell a child to sit down and enjoy a 3 course meal knowing that when they've finished the presents are there

The whole thing is a load of bollocks to me, my plan is presents from grandparents on the 24th presents from santa on the 25th but school will make that fall apart