Christmas 2023

sidcow

Christmas ?.........Bah Humbug!

Should be a law that anyone mentioning Christmas at any other time of the year other than the month of December will be locked up in solitary and forced to watch re runs of 1970's BBC/ITV Christmas specials on the tellybox, set on repeat for a week in order to "re-educate" them......

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, delboy54 said:

Should be a law that anyone mentioning Christmas at any other time of the year other than the month of December will be locked up in solitary and forced to watch re runs of 1970's BBC/ITV Christmas specials on the tellybox, set on repeat for a week in order to "re-educate" them......

giphy.gif

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Me and the wife, nowadays: 

"Is there anything you particularly want for Christmas?" 

"Nah"

"Nah, nor me". 

Sorted. 

Yeah but I have fallen into that basic trap........

Christmas day morning.......

me          "Happy Christmas"

wife       "Happy Christmas - and here is your card and pressie"....

me          "but.....but....we said not to bother this year........?"

wife        - moans about me not getting her a pressie

me           - now feels guilty and goes out and buys "garage flowers"

• Like 1

We buy each others presents in each others presence. 

Often this involves a trip to a swatch shop, where this years fave watch is pointed out to me and I buy it. Then its round the corner to a record shop where I pick 3 or 4 records hand them to the bod at the counter and then take a step back so my other half has unrestricted access to the card machine.

We keep them for a month wrap them and stick them under the tree to be unwrapped Christmas morning, never a disappointing prezzie in the last decade.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, chrisp65 said:

Often this involves a trip to a swatch shop, where this years fave watch is pointed out to me and I buy it. Then its round the corner to a record shop where I pick 3 or 4 records hand them to the bod at the counter and then take a step back so my other half has unrestricted access to the card machine.

We keep them for a month wrap them and stick them under the tree to be unwrapped Christmas morning, never a disappointing prezzie in the last decade.

My wife has a thing for Swatch's. Has to be large dial, single colour strap, preferably with glitter in the strap. She will also be getting a Swatch this year. Maybe one for the boring thread but seemingly between me and you, we are keeping Swatch going.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

That just seems pointless. You may just as well buy yourself what you want. 

19 minutes ago, delboy54 said:

Yeah but I have fallen into that basic trap........

Christmas day morning.......

me          "Happy Christmas"

wife       "Happy Christmas - and here is your card and pressie"....

me          "but.....but....we said not to bother this year........?"

wife        - moans about me not getting her a pressie

me           - now feels guilty and goes out and buys "garage flowers"

We've got past all that. 

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, delboy54 said:

Totally agree, but the weirdos would probably enjoy it. 

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Me and the wife, nowadays: 

"Is there anything you particularly want for Christmas?" 

"Nah"

"Nah, nor me". 

Sorted. 

I send her links via email for albums I want, it’s all extremely easy 😎

• Like 1

1 minute ago, rjw63 said:

I send her links via email for albums I want, it’s all extremely easy 😎

As I said above, I don't see the point. There's no element of surprise, you might as well just buy yourself stuff when you want it - which I'm sure you go anyway. 

1 minute ago, mjmooney said:

As I said above, I don't see the point. There's no element of surprise, you might as well just buy yourself stuff when you want it - which I'm sure you go anyway. 

Well normally I’d send a list of about 20, so the surprise is which ones I end up with 👍🏼

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

My wife has a thing for Swatch's. Has to be large dial, single colour strap, preferably with glitter in the strap. She will also be getting a Swatch this year. Maybe one for the boring thread but seemingly between me and you, we are keeping Swatch going.

Less and less actual swatch shops around, so it’s usually combined with a trip to York or London or wherever. 

9 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

That just seems pointless. You may just as well buy yourself what you want. 

Well, in my case that’s literally what I am doing, and then partner pays. There is no way on god’s good earth after 33 years of marriage that she could guess what music I would like and check that I don’t already have it. I could write her a list, or we can go shopping and get a coffee and a bun.

In her case, yes she wants a swatch watch. Now there are two ways of doing this, I can guess or ask the colour combo, the materials, the dial size, what it will be worn with in what circumstances and I can online order it. Or, we can book a hotel, go to Covent Garden browse around the shop, try a couple on and she gets the one she wants.

Feels like a good system.

46 minutes ago, bickster said:

We had that conversation yesterday. Conclusion, no prezzies and money into joint holibobs fund (her idea)

No point here, already sorted that as well - California in January.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

Here we have the Thanksgiving buffer.

The neighbors will be tearing their Halloween decorations down to put the blow up turkeys out. 
Christmas is something of a 2nd place holiday to Thanksgiving here

Americans eat Christmas dinner for Thanksgiving dinner, so what do they eat for Christmas dinner?

To be fair I've done a thanksgiving dinner for a few years now, it is kind of wonderfully weird, green bean casserole being an obvious winner, the marshmallow sweet potato is awesome first bite, OK second bite, disgustingly sweet by the third bite

Its OK for a bit of fun

• Like 1

I particularly like how most of their dishes are seemingly made from combining two or more different packets or containers of processed foods together. :D

But all joking aside I'll be shovelling it all down my gob in a few weeks with little complaint when we visit my American friend.

Bonfire night first though. My favourite of all the nights.

• Like 1