Christmas 2023

sidcow

Just now, Seat68 said:

Absolutely, they get my money all the time. I tell you another area they fall down on, widely available, hugely popular mainstream country music. Even if it is released in this country, its either out of stock, hugely inflated in price or they have to source it from the states. In december though, thats the problem of the clowns I live with.

Could be a business opportunity here! Buy it up (from America?) then list it for sale on Amazon. You can either post it yourself or get Amazon to do it. 

Not @bickster house though. It doesn’t have a neighbour, a garden, a bin, or storage area and the place is permanently empty. He also does not have an office where things could be delivered to either :lol: 

Just now, Genie said:

Could be a business opportunity here! Buy it up (from America?) then list it for sale on Amazon. You can either post it yourself or get Amazon to do it. 

Not @bickster house though. It doesn’t have a neighbour, a garden, a bin, or storage area and the place is permanently empty. He also does not have an office where things could be delivered to either :lol: 

I use SmartChoice Music for that, they do that work so I don't have to.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Genie said:

It doesn’t have a neighbour, a garden, a bin, or storage area and the place is permanently empty.

You are almost correct, I really try not to know the neighbours who are also never in, I have no garden, the bins are round the back of the flats and not accessible to van driving oiks, and yes, I am rarely in. I go to work, I go home, I have my tea, I go out again most nights for a couple of hours, I come home and I got to bed.

Even with an account, we only do it for stuff that can be delivered on a Sunday

Any suggestions on making proper British roast potatoes for the Christmas table? I think I've got some good potatoes to start with, but I don't seem to be able to figure out the secret for roasting them to perfection.

Edited by Marka Ragnos

6 minutes ago, Marka Ragnos said:

Any suggestions on making proper British roast potatoes for the Christmas table? I think I've got some good potatoes to start with, but I don't seem to be able to figure out the secret for roasting them to perfection.

Part boil, when you drain them bash them about a bit to rough up their edges, put an oven tray in the oven first with the oil to get it hot (I'll be using the duck fat for mine) then put your part boiled bashed potatoes in to the hot fat and roast 

Edit - and russets crisp nicely or use maris pipers as the best all round potato 

Edited by villa4europe
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Marka Ragnos said:

I fear this will be like asking how to make a cup of tea - you'll get arguments. 

FWIW, my approach would be: 

Use large potatoes, and chop so that each chunk has a round and a flat side. 

Parboil for about 7-8 minutes. Shake in pan, to rough up surfaces. 

Heat fat in hot oven (220° C) until sizzling. Some would say best to use goose fat, but I think sunflower oil is fine. 

Place potatoes in pan and return to oven. Cook for approx 40-45 mins, turning once. 

Place in a serving dish lined with kitchen paper, to absorb excess fat. Serve while still piping hot. 

Edited by mjmooney
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Marka Ragnos said:

And make sure to apply a sprinkling of onion salt to them. 

• Thanks 1

One of the best roasting potatoes is hidden in plain sight, in the UK anyway.

Golden Wonder is a late maincrop russet skinned variety of potato. It is very dry and floury and is ideal for baking, roasting and frying,[1] but needs close attention paid when boiling, as it will disintegrate in the boiling water if left too long.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_Wonder_potato

• Like 2

The worst thing about Amazon and every other shopping on-line experience is the delivery anxiety.

Admittedly things have massively improved over the last few years but the doubt never goes away.

We've had flowers left on the doorstep in the rain, smashed bottles of beer, and parcels left in a recycling bin, to mention just a few.

Add in the parcels meant for another address or the wrong goods entirely, and your day has started badly.

Going to an actual shop finding what you want and queuing at the check-out, seems like a breeze by comparison.

• Like 2

I've been using Heston's method every Sunday roast since I saw it.

Similarly to @villa4europe and @mjmooney, I parboil the spuds first, but I boil them for 25-30 minutes, until they're starting to crack and almost falling apart. Then I air dry them and let them cool, stick them in an already hot oil of your choice, and roast them for far longer than you normally would. They'll start to go crispy in 45-50 minutes. Hold your nerve, leave them another 30-40 minutes, and you'll have roasties that are like glass o nthe outside, but still soft and fluffy in the middle, and if you let them start to break apart slightly in the parboil stage, the fats and flavours penetrate through to the centre. Takes 2+ hours but the peeling+parboiling can be done the night before. 

I usually chuck some rosemary/thyme+garlic+salt in the boiling water, and roast them with some onion+herbs, and chuck some garlic gloves in for the last half an hour too

Edited by Davkaus
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

I fear this will be like asking how to make a cup of tea - you'll get arguments. 

Heat fat in hot oven (220° C) until sizzling. Some would say best to use goose fat, but I think sunflower oil is fine. 

Place potatoes in pan and return to oven. Cook for approx 40-45 mins, turning once

Place in a serving dish lined with kitchen paper, to absorb excess fat. Serve while still piping hot. 

Remember to turn again or you'll be facing the wrong way to take them out

Oh, thank you all! The two simple things I've never witnessed in the States -- and I may very well be ignorant of what others do, and I never watched my dad too closely -- are having hot oil in an oven in advance of adding something to the oil, and this "bashing around" the parboiled potatoes. How deep is the oil? Don't you risk starting a fire? 

4 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Part boil, when you drain them bash them about a bit to rough up their edges, put an oven tray in the oven first with the oil to get it hot (I'll be using the duck fat for mine) then put your part boiled bashed potatoes in to the hot fat and roast 

Edit - and russets crisp nicely or use maris pipers as the best all round potato 

4 hours ago, villa4europe said:

As a side to that as a genuine question - does anyone just do plain boiled potatoes anymore? 

I dont

Even my mom will now do mash and roasted instead of just boiled 

4 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Place potatoes in pan and return to oven. Cook for approx 40-45 mins, turning once. 

4 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

Both those roasties recipes work.

I guess the only other obvious thing to say, is choose floury spuds not waxy spuds.

A big fat knob of butter in there with the oil can help with colour.

4 hours ago, MakemineVanilla said:

The worst thing about Amazon and every other shopping on-line experience is the delivery anxiety.

Admittedly things have massively improved over the last few years but the doubt never goes away.

We've had flowers left on the doorstep in the rain, smashed bottles of beer, and parcels left in a recycling bin, to mention just a few.

Add in the parcels meant for another address or the wrong goods entirely, and your day has started badly.

Going to an actual shop finding what you want and queuing at the check-out, seems like a breeze by comparison.

4 hours ago, Davkaus said:

I've been using Heston's method every Sunday roast since I saw it.

Similarly to @villa4europe and @mjmooney, I parboil the spuds first, but I boil them for 25-30 minutes, until they're starting to crack and almost falling apart. Then I air dry them and let them cool, stick them in an already hot oil of your choice, and roast them for far longer than you normally would. They'll start to go crispy in 45-50 minutes. Hold your nerve, leave them another 30-40 minutes, and you'll have roasties that are like glass o nthe outside, but still soft and fluffy in the middle, and if you let them start to break apart slightly in the parboil stage, the fats and flavours penetrate through to the centre. Takes 2+ hours but the peeling+parboiling can be done the night before. 

I usually chuck some rosemary/thyme+garlic+salt in the boiling water, and roast them with some onion+herbs, and chuck some garlic gloves in for the last half an hour too

Edited by Marka Ragnos