Christmas 2023

sidcow

This weekend has definitely been the weekend a good few people have made a start. 

Went out a minute ago and saw quite a few lights up including a garden full of traditional Christmas Roe Deer. 

Brum was absolutely heaving yesterday. New Street was as busy as I'd ever seen it, the German Market was at a standstill and every pub was bursting at the seams - The Welly, Cosy Club,  Briar Rose, Sun on the Hill, Joint Stock, Old C's, Old Royal, Colmore, Henman & Cooper.

Cost of Living eh? 

Edited by Xela

2 hours ago, Xela said:

Brum was absolutely heaving yesterday. New Street was as busy as I'd ever seen it, the German Market was at a standstill and every pub was bursting at the seams - The Welly, Cosy Club,  Briar Rose, Sun on the Hill, Joint Stock, Old C's, Old Royal, Colmore, Henman & Cooper.

Cost of Living eh? 

Yeah, it's sure odd but good to hear about Town being so busy though. 

10 hours ago, Xela said:

Cost of Living eh

Nah....just a load of words removed chucking their bonuses around....you know the types.....😉

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Xela said:

Cost of Living eh? 

Same where i am. Packed. 

Alot of people have more money than they make out it seems 😂

There are tens of millions of people who live in this country, some of whom are absolutely fine and dandy, some of whom are alright, and some of whom are ****, and in all categories some of whom are crap with money. 

Cost of living and busy shopping streets aren't mutually exclusive. I've no doubt a few of those strapped for cash aren't being completely sensible with what they have,...

Annnyyyyyywaaaay..... ;) 

Muppets Christmas Carol at the weekend, lovely stuff. Inside a month to christmas so that counts. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Another thing I love about Xmas is doing the food shop 

I’ve been getting stuff since early October so when the December 21st delivery comes it won’t cost a **** fortune.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, bickster said:

Went out to a gig on Saturday, the pub I drink in was rammed so I went to the gig early, words removed!

I think @Xela covered this one off. 

On 26/11/2023 at 12:38, Xela said:

This was what I was like yesterday

christmas-pubgoers.jpg

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

Seeing people in the boozer or knocking about a Christmas market is not a great guide to determining if there is a cost of living crisis or not. Even those people you see we have zero clue what their financial situation is.

There is no doubt, just as there has always been, there will be the haves and the have nots and some people will be fine and others will be suffering. 

What we do know is that, according to the governments own figures, 15 million people in this country live in poverty, over 4 million of which live in extreme poverty (this has doubled in the last 5 years), 9 million people have over the last few months suffered food insecurity and 3 million adults have reported not having eaten for a whole day because they couldn't afford to. Overall over the last two years we have seen the largest drop in living standards since records began.  

Let's not downplay the fact that millions of people are really, really suffering in this country just because we see some people out and about.

Great post.

My comment about the German market being really busy was not a suggestion that the cost of living crisis is not real or over played, it’s more that it’s the poorest that are really feeling the pain of inflation on top of higher bills. 

Many others can make adjustments and still enjoy nice things by cutting back somewhere else. There will be people that have lavish days out, but not have the 1st or 2nd foreign holiday. They’ve saved money overall and they had that option.

Those who had the least to start with are getting ruined as they have nowhere to go 😞 

• Like 1