Cup or CL qualification?

villan95

Cup or CL qualification?  

118 members have voted

1. 1. Cup or CL qualification?

• A Cup
    • Champions League qualification

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 11/08/23 at 23:00

I've gone for a cup as people will take notice and it's genuinely something to celebrate.  As good as CL is coming 4th is very standard now, a lot of teams have achieved it and there's nothing to show for it.  We could get knocked out in the group stage.

Edited by beasley14

FA Cup please. It's the only trophy I haven't seen us win in my Lifetime (64 years a Villan)

Was alive in 1957 but was too young to enjoy our win at Wembley (2-1) against Manures Busby babes

• Like 4

To me, it's obvious some people are attracted to the romance of " A Cup " due to our history, and not thinking it through very logically..From a multitude of angles.

Bingham City won a Cup and got relegated. Wigan the same.

If we won a Cup, but finished 10th, do you think that convinces our best players to turn down Champions League clubs, or attract Champions League level players?

" Man City/ United/ Arsenal etc want me, but Villa have won the League Cup so I'm defo going there/staying"

" Hey, we've missed out on 50 - 75 mill in income and Sponsorship, but this Carling Cup is ace "

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 3

12 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

They've been in multiple cup finals including a CL final. Just bad luck really they didn't win any of them. Sustained success in the league is probably the best shot at winning a trophy as well as it'll keep your team competitive.

Yeah that's true although I think they were shocking in all the finals so maybe not bad luck, but I take your point that it allowed them to get to that position.

I have flip flopped on this question myself but am going with the trophy just because it's been far too long and a bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bush.

I think CL qualification would likely put us in a position to win even more trophies in the long-term, and at the very least sustain the owner's ambitious approach. Think of how the squad could be shaped with that sort of attraction.

For example, Newcastle qualifying for the CL will be doing them a world of more good than if they finished 8th with an FA cup or something, imo.

Edited by wishywashy

11 minutes ago, villan95 said:

Yeah that's true although I think they were shocking in all the finals so maybe not bad luck, but I take your point that it allowed them to get to that position.

I have flip flopped on this question myself but am going with the trophy just because it's been far too long and a bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bush.

CL final for example, they got F'd over with an early era VAR call, and unlucky with Kane's injury that season (bad call on Poch for starting him though). 

It's so fitting for them that they were one of the best teams in Europe in that period and don't have a single trophy to show for it, but usually teams that good win something. They would never have gotten that good if they didn't qualify for the CL in 2010. That was the catalyst.

As has been already said by others, being in the Champion's League raises sponsorship money, CL cup match income (which could be substantial) and makes us much more attractive to top tier player targets who want to play in the Champion's League. So that's the dream.

Winning a Cup would be hugely exciting for a few weeks but in reality it would not necessarily take us further forward. 

• Like 1

No point in going to the CL if we're just going to crash out.

Learning to win the big one is important.

To me, a cup win and dealing with the pressure of a final would get us ready for the CL.

• Like 1

Trophy. 

Edited. On reflection,  maybe top 4 would be equally as good as winning a trophy. I think winning a trophy would be better, as a fan, but then again, the last time we finish 4th was also 1996 and 5th was 1997. Topping the 6th place finishes of the MON era would be a big milestone.

Maybe I will be greedy and go for a 95-96 style trophy and top four finish! 

Edited by Captain_Townsend

Â