Cup or CL qualification?

villan95

Cup or CL qualification?  

118 members have voted

1. 1. Cup or CL qualification?

• A Cup
    • Champions League qualification

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 11/08/23 at 23:00

Best case scenario is to continue in the UECL, and go to the LC final before the new year (with hopefully easier opponent. Then take FA Cup seriously. If we can win the league cup then we confirm Europe before the season end. Then see what to do in the other 3 competitions. Would be great bonuses to get the other two cups. 

I think we really need a cup, FA cup or UECL above CL, but I’m not sure LC or CL. I’m more towards the trophies to be honest. Spurs kept going to CL but now probably going in the wrong direction with winning nothing. 

32 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

To me, it's obvious some people are attracted to the romance of " A Cup " due to our history, and not thinking it through very logically..From a multitude of angles.

Bingham City won a Cup and got relegated. Wigan the same.

If we won a Cup, but finished 10th, do you think that convinces our best players to turn down Champions League clubs, or attract Champions League level players?

" Man City/ United/ Arsenal etc want me, but Villa have won the League Cup so I'm defo going there/staying"

" Hey, we've missed out on 50 - 75 mill in income and Sponsorship, but this Carling Cup is ace "

CL coupled with an FA Cup win. Can I be greedy and have both....then I can fall over and die a very happy man!

• Like 2

Wenger has cond several generations of football fans with his top 4 is like a trophy comment.

Elite sport is about winning. End of.

Edited by Pinebro
  • Like 4

Got to be a trophy for me, I never went to the 96 final so to see us win something in person is the pinnacle.

Mourinho always went all out to get the league cup knowing how important a trophy was. Wasn’t it the first trophy city won as well.

Edited by mikeyp102
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Pinebro said:

Wenged has con'd several generations of football fans with his top 4 is like a trophy comment.

Agree

But at the same time to be fair to them unlike spurs wenger won 3 FA cups in a 4 year spell during their demise (making him the winningist FA Cup manager in the process) same can't be said about the league cup unfortunately

• Like 1

Depends on the cup but RE: CL qualification, it's not really just about taking part in that competition but more about what it can do to help develop your club through money and profile, thus increasing the likelihood of winning something later. Unless you're spurs lol. 

I don't want to seem like I'm de-valuing our cups but I would pick the CL qualification because I think it would help us attract better players than a cup win would. 

I think it would set us up for more longer term success and trophies. 

I completely get the other view too though. 

• Like 1

CL qualification is more important in the short term if we want to build sustained success. Once you have that secured it acts as a foundation upon which you can build and give yourself a chance at regularly competing for cups given you’re a more attractive proposition to new signings.

A couple of people have mentioned spurs here as if their lack of cup success shows that they were prioritising the wrong thing going for CL qualification. But how many non top 6 clubs have used their cup wins as a platform for greater success? Wigan? SHA? Swansea? If you asked me whether I’d rather their recent history or Spurs’s I’d take spurs’s every time despite the lack of trophy.

The only exception here is Leicester but winning the PL itself was a freak outcome and I’d still argue that CL football was an important part of that successful period 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pinebro said:

Wenger has cond several generations of football fans with his top 4 is like a trophy comment.

I'd rather finish 4th than win a cup and get relegated.  I'd rather win a cup and finish 6th than finish 5th.

Edited by allani

2 hours ago, CarryOnVilla said:

Being a CL club is far more rewarding than a cup win 

Not sure for somebody who has been waiting fifty odd years to win the bleedin  FA Cup

Edited by Follyfoot
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Marka Ragnos said:

ie, You want a one-night stand or a longer-term relationship? Either one could lead to marriage -- and either to divorce, too.

If you could guarantee us winning the FA Cup next year, I would suck you dry honey

• Haha 3

Just trying to work out at what point, league position trumps cup success.  Building on my previous answer - I'd rather finish 17th than finish 18th and win a cup.  I'd rather finish 6th and win a cup than finish 5th.  I think I'd rather finish 3rd than finish 7th and win a cup (as I think it would be a huge statement / platform to build on and challenge for success the following year.  I don't think I would swap our last season for West Ham's.

That said I will be very annoyed if we play a "reserve" team in Europe this season - I do want us to try and win it.  But I think if it was a choice between finish 5th in the league or finish 10th and win a European trophy - I'd see finish 5th as being better proof of continued progression and another step forward as a club.

6 minutes ago, Follyfoot said:

If you could guarantee us winning the FA Cup next year, I would suck you dry honey

I'd want some extra guarantees in their first about not getting relegated and finishing in the Top 8 before signing up for any suckage.

Just now, allani said:

I'd want some extra guarantees in their first about not getting relegated and finishing in the Top 8 before signing up for any suckage.

I care little about the other things, if we ever got relegated under Unai Emery, we should shut the club and call ourselves small Heath

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

To me, it's obvious some people are attracted to the romance of " A Cup " due to our history, and not thinking it through very logically..From a multitude of angles.

Bingham City won a Cup and got relegated. Wigan the same.

If we won a Cup, but finished 10th, do you think that convinces our best players to turn down Champions League clubs, or attract Champions League level players?

" Man City/ United/ Arsenal etc want me, but Villa have won the League Cup so I'm defo going there/staying"

" Hey, we've missed out on 50 - 75 mill in income and Sponsorship, but this Carling Cup is ace "

Nope but as a supporter I'd happily take 10th and an FA cup win.

Imagine the feeling of being at Wembley watching John McGinn lifting the trophy. No way am I swapping that for 4th/5th which is almost like a mystery box option.

• Like 1

Â