Cup or CL qualification?

villan95

Cup or CL qualification?  

118 members have voted

1. 1. Cup or CL qualification?

• A Cup
    • Champions League qualification

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 11/08/23 at 23:00

52 minutes ago, Marka Ragnos said:

ie, You want a one-night stand or a longer-term relationship? Either one could lead to marriage -- and either to divorce, too.

If we're going with the analogy surely we're already in a lifetime commitment and it's more like asking if we want some romance or a lottery win? 

Edited by villan95
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

To me, it's obvious some people are attracted to the romance of " A Cup " due to our history, and not thinking it through very logically..From a multitude of angles.

Bingham City won a Cup and got relegated. Wigan the same.

If we won a Cup, but finished 10th, do you think that convinces our best players to turn down Champions League clubs, or attract Champions League level players?

" Man City/ United/ Arsenal etc want me, but Villa have won the League Cup so I'm defo going there/staying"

" Hey, we've missed out on 50 - 75 mill in income and Sponsorship, but this Carling Cup is ace "

I get that but  some of us lucky enough to have lived through our greatest era the FA cup is the one we all want. FA Cup Final day  on both ITV and BBC was the ultimate football day. Big Daddy used to iron out some American they would bring over for the day on world of sport, you would watch the team coaches leave the hotels and make the way to Wembley. It was the most important cup competition in the world and we never got to the bloody final as good as we were. We have to win this otherwise I will haunt Villa Park.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Follyfoot said:

Not sure for somebody who has been waiting fifty odd years to win the bleedin  FA Cup

I’d love us to win a cup, but if we’re in a chance of making CL football, I’d rather make sure that happens more than a cup run. Getting CL football could actually make this club, make it that could win multiple cups. Or we could do a spurs and win nothing but regular top 4s

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, CarryOnVilla said:

I’d love us to win a cup, but if we’re in a chance of making CL football, I’d rather make sure that happens more than a cup run. Getting CL football could actually make this club, make it that could win multiple cups. Or we could do a spurs and win nothing but regular top 4s

What we need my friend is the return of GODZVILLA 

He was a mummy type creature who was in the villa times who wanted all the trophies and all the cups and nearly got them all apart from the one that got away….

Edited by Follyfoot
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

To me, it's obvious some people are attracted to the romance of " A Cup " due to our history, and not thinking it through very logically..From a multitude of angles.

It’s probably not what you were thinking JV but this comes across as very arrogant “my opinion is better than yours”.

Of course, winning a trophy and getting relegated isn’t what we want, but for me a trophy is so important. Because of the money involved, I’ve given up hope that we’ll ever win the league or Europe again, unless it’s a freak season like Leicester. The gulf between the likes of city (and soon to be Newcastle)is just too much. Therefore finishing in a champions league place won’t change anything. But to see us win a trophy will always be remembered. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Follyfoot said:

What we need my friend is the return of GODZVILLA 

He was a mummy type creature who was in the villa times who wanted all the trophies and all the cups and nearly got them all apart from the one that got away….

The William McGregor mummy!

11 minutes ago, Zatman said:

I am guessing at least one was City 😛  

Just checked and amazingly no 😂 Think that was Pep's first season and they just about scraped into the top 4. He'd only spent around £200M at that point rather than the £1BN since

Edited by villan95
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, villan95 said:

Just checked and amazingly no 😂 Think that was Pep's first season and they just about scraped into the top 4. He'd only spent around £200M at that point rather than the £1BN since

Its why I always feel bad for budget Pep. Guy is operating on a shoestring 

• Like 1

If we qualify for the CL it will trigger additional investment from NSWE in an even higher calibre of player to propel us into the elite of Europe once again, and  help us make sustained, yearly challenges to each and every competition we're in, including the Premier League title.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, mikeyp102 said:

It’s probably not what you were thinking JV but this comes across as very arrogant “my opinion is better than yours”.

Of course, winning a trophy and getting relegated isn’t what we want, but for me a trophy is so important. Because of the money involved, I’ve given up hope that we’ll ever win the league or Europe again, unless it’s a freak season like Leicester. The gulf between the likes of city (and soon to be Newcastle)is just too much. Therefore finishing in a champions league place won’t change anything. But to see us win a trophy will always be remembered. 

Champions League qualification would also give us a better chance of " winning a cup " by default of all of the benefits it comes with, across the whole club.

Sorry it's not about my " opinion", it's what would factually benefit the club more, and ultimately the fans, in the bigger picture.

How can you say " Finishing in the Champions League won't change anything " when fans got so excited about us achieving the lowest tier of European competetion in the season past?

I doubt a Champions League spot means nothing to Newcastle fans right now. It is the Ultimate Cup competetion after all.

You're basically saying that " The gulf is so big " that we may as well give up, allow it to get bigger and pursue Cups? Give no effort to trying to close the gap? Producing a Leicester season etc?

Ideally, the option would be both Champions League qualification, AND a Cup, other wise, it's Champions League all day for me.

Obviously, I would love for us to win trophies and Cups. I just won't allow the romance of it to make me lose sight of larger goals.

Many have disagreed with me in the past, even with regards to certain Cup fixtures, when having a thinner squad than we do now.

Whether it be fighting relegation , or needing points to try and chase Europe, etc. I often agree with the Manager who prioritises the League. I know it's not the most popular opinion.

• Like 2

I don't remember Leicester becoming any more popular or attractive for being in the CL one year.

The way you become bigger is to win stuff.

I can imagine Villa would have much less worldwide support had they not won the european cup.

6 minutes ago, Pinebro said:

I don't remember Leicester becoming any more popular or attractive for being in the CL one year.

The way you become bigger is to win stuff.

I can imagine Villa would have much less worldwide support had they not won the european cup.

Hmmm not sure I agree.  Yes about winning the league or CL but I think you become bigger these days being in the CL than winning the FA Cup, League Cup or the ECL.  

West Ham won the ECL but finished poorly in the league and thus West Ham are seen less of a threat now than at the end of the previous season, which under the rules you laid out they should be bigger now but they aren’t are they!

• Like 2

Â