David Silva retires

Leeroy

One of the all-time great Premier League playmakers has retired: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/66328822

At his best he was truly special to watch, never gave the ball away and created so many big chances. I hated City buying their way to success but it was a joy to watch this little fella play.

If only Buendia was anywhere near as consistently brilliant, sadly he isn't.

Edited by Leeroy

It was actually Unai who managed him at Valencia for 2 years before selling him to City in 2010, must have been a pleasure coaching such a technically gifted player and I'm sure Silva credits Emery with some of his development.

I remember an assist he got in the season they won the league the first time, 2011 I think. They beat Man Utd 6-1 at Old Trafford and he hit a spectacular volley to put Dzeko clean through to score. Probably the best assist I've ever seen to this day.

• Like 1

His dad Long-John couldn't be interviewed, too upset.

Also couldn't find his wooden leg.

Edited by rjw63
fingers like keenan
  • Haha 3

He broke the mould for flair players in England as he wasnt a typical midfielder built on strength and thrived in the physical Premier League

Easily City greatest ever player

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Zatman said:

He broke the mould for flair players in England as he wasnt a typical midfielder built on strength and thrived in the physical Premier League

Easily City greatest ever player

Probably Modric broke that mould.

What I mean is that if he played for a different team at a different time I'd probably wax lyrical about him, as it was instead he played for man City at a time when I had no interest in watching man City as a neutral, I've seen Silva play vs villa plus some random games dotted about

So when you have a David silva appreciation thread and you say where does he sit when ranking PL players I'm not even taking him as the best Spanish attacking midfielder, that would be fabregas

Playing for man City in this era of the PL means absolutely zero to me, I don't watch them and when I do I don't enjoy them or get excited by them

Silva suffers from it, aguero suffers from it, de Bruyne suffers from it, wouldn't have any of them anywhere near any kind of best PL player list, I have no interest in any of tthem, he's a nothing player because they're a nothing team

@Mr_Dogg

• Like 2

3 hours ago, villa4europe said:

What I mean is that if he played for a different team at a different time I'd probably wax lyrical about him, as it was instead he played for man City at a time when I had no interest in watching man City as a neutral, I've seen Silva play vs villa plus some random games dotted about

So when you have a David silva appreciation thread and you say where does he sit when ranking PL players I'm not even taking him as the best Spanish attacking midfielder, that would be fabregas

Playing for man City in this era of the PL means absolutely zero to me, I don't watch them and when I do I don't enjoy them or get excited by them

Silva suffers from it, aguero suffers from it, de Bruyne suffers from it, wouldn't have any of them anywhere near any kind of best PL player list, I have no interest in any of tthem, he's a nothing player because they're a nothing team

@Mr_Dogg

So if villa were bought by Abu Dhabi in 2008 and the subsequent success that came with that you'd think of us as a nothing club with nothing players? I thought not.

You can still appreciate world class players despite who they play for. And Silva, de Bruyne and Aguero will absolutely go down as some of the best players to have played in this league. Doesn't matter that they were acquired with oil money because if that had been us we wouldn't be batting an eyelid.

• Like 1

If we had similar style takeover to Man City, the difference between us and them is that before hypothetical takeover we would have already won everything in the game there is to win, so could never say we've bought our status or cheated our way to it, we're beheld in a much more reverential light now than they were before takeover, whereas Man City before their takeover had won a couple of titles, and the FA and League twice each, they had only won one major honour since the 1930s, they weren't close to being one of the top teams in the country even historically, even likes of Wolves, West Ham, Blackburn and probably other similar sized clubs had won more than the citizens before 2008 takeover.

The difference would be that I would watch us

Like I said before I've barely watched David Silva, especially in games not featuring us

Fabregas at wengers arsenal on the other hand I was watching every other week - if you wanted to compare Henry and aguero too - I didn't watch these man City players because **** man City they've killed my interest, these undeniably great footballers mean absolutely nothing to me

9 hours ago, PaulC said:

One of the greats for man city but not as good as Colin Bell who played at a time when it was a level playing field.

Silva does have more chance of having an end named after him though. 😏

Edited by turnbull
Schoolboy error.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Â