David Silva retires

Leeroy

9 hours ago, useless said:

If we had similar style takeover to Man City, the difference between us and them is that before hypothetical takeover we would have already won everything in the game there is to win, so could never say we've bought our status or cheated our way to it, we're beheld in a much more reverential light now than they were before takeover, whereas Man City before their takeover had won a couple of titles, and the FA and League twice each, they had only won one major honour since the 1930s, they weren't close to being one of the top teams in the country even historically, even likes of Wolves, West Ham, Blackburn and probably other similar sized clubs had won more than the citizens before 2008 takeover.

Yes I agree to an extent, we clearly have Villa bias but I was always baffled why we were ended up with Randy bloody Lerner and City won the lottery with multi billionaires with no financial limits after their previous Thai owner was found guilty of fraud and had to sell up. Lucky f*ckers. And we were a far more iconic club in the game.

But it probably helped that their closest rivals were a massive club in Manchester United who were winning everything under Fergie whilst ours were Birmingham City who only won their first major trophy in 2011. I think you are also a bit mistaken to slate City for not winning much since the 1930s because I'm sorry to say Villa only had one league title since the 1930s too and only one FA Cup. City had also had a more dominant period in the 60s and 70s where they competed for the title over a longer period of time compared to us who won it once in 81 then were relegated a few years later. Both clubs have also spent time in the old Division 3. So in neutral people's eyes, in 2008, both City and Villa were probably seen as similar sized clubs, rightly or wrongly. 

Anyway I'm straying off topic, Silva was a top, top player regardless. I feel blessed he played in the Premier League, even if it was for that soulless club. Under these owners and manager let's hope we get a player like Silva play for us sometime soon. We've never had a playmaker that good in the Premier League era, Grealish is probably the closest we've come to having that level of quality.

• Like 1

Prior to takeover they had won one major honour since the thirties so I'm not mistaken in saying that unless wikipedia is wrong, in that time we had won every major honour that it's possible to win, nothing to do with Villa bias it's just a fact.

Before their takeover we were a much bigger club, we had won twenty-one major honours versus their five, and had spent longer in the top flight, we had had more recent success than them as well in Premier League era, two League Cups, five top six finishes, a top four finish, and second placed finish, their best PL finish before takeover was eighth they'd only had three top half finishes in nine PL seasons since Premier League was formed and reason it's only nine seasons is because they had a spell in the Championship and League One.

Â