Trevor Francis

PaulC

Hated him with a passion as a kid after he scored that hat trick against us for QPR. Grew up to admire him though, especially for his time at Forest. He'll always be written in history as the first million pound player. 

• Like 2

My mom has met him on a number of occasions. His mother (or mother in law I can't remember) was a resident in a care home my mom worked at.

She couldn't say enough good things about him. Apparently an absolutely top guy.

RIP

• Like 2

I'll always remember Trevor Francis because he played for Sheffield Wednesday in my first ever game at Villa Park in Feb 1990. He'd joined them earlier that month from QPR for whom he'd scored the aforementioned hat trick at Villa Park earlier in the season.

He came on as a sub. The Blues relationship and the hat-trick meant he got all kinds of abuse all game from the Holte.

13 year old me thought it was all great fun!

What a great player he was. RIP Trevor Francis.

Edited by Villanbee
Grammar
  • Like 2

RIP. 

Great player and a very decent manager as well. Surprised me that he last managed 20 years ago. 

His wife died of breast cancer 6 years ago so I don't think he ever recovered from that.

Sad times :( 

• Like 2

One of the greats of Midlands football (even if he was from Plymouth).

Growing up he gave me plenty of amusement just falling short as their manager in the play offs for about 2-3 seasons running but they were very unlucky not to win the league cup in 2001 which would've been a huge shock at the time.

Greatest professional tribute I can pay is I listened to him many times doing co-commentary on Villa games in the late 2000s and you'd never have guessed he'd have any association whatsoever with Birmingham City.

R.I.P.

• Like 2

Absolutely shellshocked at the news. We had Little they had Francis, two wonderful footballers, just a shame Little's was ended so prematurely by injury. As much as us Villa fans ribbed Francis, you couldn't deny he was special. I'm trying to think who is similar in today's game but I'm struggling. He was a Thouraghbred who regularly scored great goals. I can still vision his brilliant header against us in the last minutes at St Andrews which was the winner in a pulsating derby under the lights..

He was successful for every club he played for, very rarely did he have a bad game. Cloughie paid a million for him and he won him a European cup with another classic Francis header. Blue nose till the end, but a really decent delightful footballer to have had the pleasure of watching. Rest peacefully, Sir.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Villanbee said:

I'll always remember Trevor Francis because he played for Sheffield Wednesday in my first ever game at Villa Park in Feb 1990. He'd joined them earlier that month from QPR for whom he'd scored the aforementioned hat trick at Villa Park earlier in the season.

He came on as a sub. The Blues relationship and the hat-trick meant he got all kinds of abuse all game from the Holte.

13 year old me thought it was all great fun!

What a great player he was. RIP Trevor Francis.

He succeeded Ron Atkinson to become player manager. That was the season we played them in our first game at Hillsbourgh, one of them games you never forget. 

Â