Judge Mental's Sexism and Misogyny Topic

bannedfromHandV

1 minute ago, Demitri_C said:

Or people just dont think they are very good like many male pundits are not very good ?

But that's a massive generalisation.  "Female pundits aren't very good".

24 minutes ago, Jonesy7211 said:

Football commentary and opinion is nowhere near as informed and insightful as it once was. People don't have the attention span for it. They want to know how long Jack Grealish was on the lash for, rather than how Pep has affected his game since joining.

It seems ok for men to do this, rather than women. They seem to get a lot more criticism for it. Personally, I find Michelle Owen and Melissa Reddy two of the most knowledgeable people currently employed to discuss football. I can't stand all the morons covering the PL on Sky. They get worse every year. Soundbite, cliche, advert, and repeat. BT sport used to be brilliant on CL nights when they had the journo's covering all the games. I used to love Sunday Supplement too, and some of the women reporters knocked spots off the men. They had to know more than their male colleagues just to be taken seriously.

I also think there's a lot of men who just don't like being informed by women, it threatens their masculinity.

Rigo is a perfect example of a perfect football commentator

7 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Depends. There are some female pundits who are shit. There are some male pundits are shit.

I think female pundits get a harder time because they're female

Kenneth territory

• Haha 2

I think there's good and bad pundits regardless of gender but when someone like Danny Murphy talks we just think he's a d*ck but when it's a woman it's more that she doesn't know what she's talking about. It's probably an unconscious bias. 

45 minutes ago, mrchnry said:

I think there's good and bad pundits regardless of gender but when someone like Danny Murphy talks we just think he's a d*ck but when it's a woman it's more that she doesn't know what she's talking about. It's probably an unconscious bias. 

No I think Danny Murphy is a dick who doesn't know what he's talking about

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bobzy said:

But that's a massive generalisation.  "Female pundits aren't very good".

But id argue male pundits are not very good either!

Like for me i think townsend and earle are two of my favourite pundits but i think carragher and richards are terrible. But i think scott, woods are good but karen carney isnt very good.

I remember one game last season i cant remember who it was, it was a female pundit and she was absolutely so biased against us alot of people were commenting on her. She isnt one of the usual females but its pundits like her that give the good ones a bad name.

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

Depends. There are some female pundits who are shit. There are some male pundits are shit.

I think female pundits get a harder time because they're female

Agree mostly with that - but not the last part as how much criticism has neville, souness carragher etc got in past? I think its equally done

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

Agree mostly with that - but not the last part as how much criticism has neville, souness carragher etc got in past? I think its equally done

eni aluko made a ridiculous comment about managers asking another team to put a bid in to help your team in some way. it was a ludicrous suggestion and something i'm not buying happens in the WSL either. she was ripped to shreds for it...absolutely battered. every news FB/twitter page drew attention to it. on the other side, souness once intimated that a big factor in our 7-2 demolition of liverpool was the length of the grass at VP. we called it out of course because we're villa fans, but funny how he didn't get anywhere like the same levels of stick from both the media and the public for something that was equally as ridiculous

that's just one example

3 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

eni aluko made a ridiculous comment about managers asking another team to put a bid in to help your team in some way. it was a ludicrous suggestion and something i'm not buying happens in the WSL either. she was ripped to shreds for it...absolutely battered. every news FB/twitter page drew attention to it. on the other side, souness once intimated that a big factor in our 7-2 demolition of liverpool was the length of the grass at VP. we called it out of course because we're villa fans, but funny how he didn't get anywhere like the same levels of stick from both the media and the public for something that was equally as ridiculous

that's just one example

Aluko is one of the worst pundits out there. Im delighted she left us.

Keegans getting the same treatment at the moment so its not just a one way thing

• Like 1

Just now, Demitri_C said:

Aluko is one of the worst pundits out there. Im delighted she left us.

Keegans getting the same treatment at the moment so its not just a one way thing

is he? every single article or social media post has had overwhelming agreement with him in the comments sections (which is why i drew attention to it on here, as VT is typically less of a cesspit than social media)

1 minute ago, tomav84 said:

is he? every single article or social media post has had overwhelming agreement with him in the comments sections (which is why i drew attention to it on here, as VT is typically less of a cesspit than social media)

Getting mullered by lianne sanderson who has been overly aggressive telling him to shut up and then saying people are being threatened by us being one example.

She is doing what alot of people of people accuse others on villatalk of doing 'generalising'

Instead of arguing her point in a way where people would respect her more she replies like that.

4 hours ago, Jonesy7211 said:

Football commentary and opinion is nowhere near as informed and insightful as it once was. People don't have the attention span for it. They want to know how long Jack Grealish was on the lash for, rather than how Pep has affected his game since joining.

It seems ok for men to do this, rather than women. They seem to get a lot more criticism for it. Personally, I find Michelle Owen and Melissa Reddy two of the most knowledgeable people currently employed to discuss football. I can't stand all the morons covering the PL on Sky. They get worse every year. Soundbite, cliche, advert, and repeat. BT sport used to be brilliant on CL nights when they had the journo's covering all the games. I used to love Sunday Supplement too, and some of the women reporters knocked spots off the men. They had to know more than their male colleagues just to be taken seriously.

I also think there's a lot of men who just don't like being informed by women, it threatens their masculinity.

Melissa Reddy, yeah I bet you do. 😂

• Confused 1

There are good and bad pundits and commentators of backgrounds.  What I find a little strange though is where they employ female ex-players to comment on the men's game as if they have more insight into that than the average punter or journalists and broadcasters who are not ex-pros.  I'd question whether they actually have more basis to comment on the top level men's game than someone who has played at level 4, or 8 or 10 of the men's game.   It's bad enough having male ex-pros who are incapable of forming proper opinions and sentences and just churn out cliches and truisms. But at least they can say they have had first hand insight into how it is.

The female commentators and pundits have more to prove as well, so they often come across as having done more research.

It’s not just about understanding the patterns of play, it’s about doing the boring work knowing who has been in form, who’s been injured, who’s in favour with the manager, who the fans like, etc. Nothing worse than a commentator who doesn’t know this stuff and just makes it up on the fly.

• Like 3

Female ex players have lived and breathed football for most of their lives, I couldn't guarantee it but I would make a fairly strong case that unlike male players, they will also have been watching the men's game and had a significant interest in that. 

Â