Iñigo Idiakez

villan-scott

Appointed new u21 coach. Another Spanish influence around the club. 

https://www.avfc.co.uk/news/2023/july/20/-villa-appoint-inigo-idiakez-as-new-u21-coach/

Villa appoint Inigo Idiakez as U21s coach

an hour ago

Aston Villa is pleased to announce the appointment of Inigo Idiakez as the club's new Under-21 coach.

The Spaniard, who has most recently coached in Mexico but has previously held coaching posts in English football at Derby County, Leicester City and Luton Town, starts work today at Bodymoor Heath.

Tony Carss, who managed the Under-21 group last season, will transition across to the role vacated by Mile Jedinak and become the club's new Emerging Talent Programme Manager.

Having worked closely with the Under-21s last term, Tony has an extensive knowledge of the squad and will continue to play a crucial part in their ongoing development in his new role.

• Like 2

Finally, we will produce a style of play that runs from the youth teams all the way to the first team. A Villa way, or Engine if you prefer. Can’t believe nobody has thought of this before! 

I have full confidence that it will actually work this time. 

• Like 2

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.skysports.com/amp/football/news/11095/12901636/inigo-idiakez-exclusive-interview-why-derby-was-best-year-of-his-career-tough-love-at-leicester-and-life-in-mexico

Interesting, he said he was close to joining Emery in June, but it never happened. I guess Jedinak leaving opened the door.

This is very much a Unai appointment and not a club one. Nothing wrong with that if it helps transition the young ones through.

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, I Make Pies said:

He came through the academy at Real Sociedad at the same time as Emery.

Was a good player in his day. Finished his career at Southampton and then Derby and pretty sure he's been based in UK after retirement working in Youth roles at Leicester, Derby and Luton.

Seems we've got him after his spell last year managing Cancun in Mexico so looks like he had a nice holiday and now back to the nitty gritty of the Midlands.

Â