Women’s World Cup 2023

Giro

Just now, mjmooney said:

There was definitely a shove, but she over-egged the dive. 

There was no shove at all, Daly just backed in and then threw herself to ground.  Cracking VAR review to overturn it - well done refs.

1 minute ago, bobzy said:

There was no shove at all, Daly just backed in and then threw herself to ground.  Cracking VAR review to overturn it - well done refs.

The angle from goalside clearly showed a forearm shove into the back of the neck. It was a penalty, but the way she threw herself down was so theatrical it cast doubts. 

• Like 1

Just now, mjmooney said:

The angle from goalside clearly showed a forearm shove into the back of the neck. It was a penalty, but the way she threw herself down was so theatrical it cast doubts. 

For me, there's a shirt pull outside the box which is probably a free kick but the rest is nonsense - there's just no foul anywhere.

Edit:  You can't just back in to win a foul.  The contact has to be initiated by the defender, not the attacker.

Edited by bobzy
  • Like 2

I'm going for Nigeria but I thought it was a pen even though she over egged the contact. That ball connects with Daly's head without the nudge, giving the defender an unfair advantage.

There have been penalties for far less on this comp.

"Being smart there from Rachel Daly, she's turned and stopped to make it look like the defender has pushed her" - Alex Scott bang on, aside from the "being smart" part.  It's diving pal :D 

15 minutes ago, MachoFantastico said:

Could have gone either way, Daly was being shoved though. Russo looking dodgy again, she has struggled in my opinion. 

Russo isn't good enough, her one goal came from some pretty horrendous goalkeeping. I think the decision to play her over the top goalscorer in the wsl will cost England.

We just need to step up and match them physically.looked like they had all the pressure on them but I'm sure  they will step up and win it second half 

Edited by PaulC

19 hours ago, Xela said:

No disrespect to our friends from over the pond, but i'm glad USWNT are out. 

Trust me, there are plenty, perhaps even a majority of folks here in the US who haven't shed a tear to see this iteration of the women's team lose.  Them inserting themselves into politics, the "equal pay" hoax (they actually receive more than the men, despite their matches/tournaments generating less than 15% of the revenue), and their complete lack of respect for the national anthem have caused many to grow tired of them.

They didn't deserve to even progress from the group, so those saying they were unlucky against the Swedes is failing to recognize the fact that their poor performances in the group led them to have to play a tougher round-of-16 match.  One half-decent performance out of four won't win you a world cup. Rapinoe must have been getting penalty training from Kane... 😄

• Like 1

Â