Moussa Diaby

Delphinho123

Posted (edited)

Comments about him being an “atrocious” or similar words as a signing are just baiting and made in bad faith. Bailey might have left in the summer. We needed quality options. He’s capable of having a loss of form like any player. I wish some supporters would recognise that tearing down players so easily is ultimately self-defeating. Moussa has been nothing but a pro and struggling with confidence at times. 

Edited by The_Steve
  • Like 4

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, sidcow said:

I keep coming back in my mind to the fact that Bailey played under Gerrard during the time he was awful and it is Emery who has turned him around. 

I basically ignore any opinions informed about players in the Gerrard period, all bets are off there. 

What worries me is Diaby has had his entire time here under Emery. He's not going to suddenly enjoy improved/proper coaching as he's had it already. 

Inconsistency is his problem. When he's not scored/assisted, which has been great, he's been a complete passenger, an anchor dragging down the team performance. 

Very strange player.  Which are you going to get? Electric or square wheel? 

It seems to me, he doesn't like traffic.

open spaces, seem his delight......trouble is the Prem, is awash with players, who are intent in stopping you, and shutting you down.

He has to find a way, of landing on his "A" game.....and frightening the bee jaysus, out of opponents.....He is simply too passive, and that can suggest a lack of courage, maybe.

He is on the peripheral of a very good international team, so confidence, should be intact.

I don't profess to know the answer to his dilemma, but I doubt his current form is what prompted us to pay £50 mill for him.

I think right now, he is a bit of a problem for us. I am not sure what he offers.

Edited by TRO

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

Comments about him being an “atrocious” or similar words as a signing are just baiting and made in bad faith. Bailey might have left in the summer. We needed quality options. He’s capable of having a loss of form like any player. I wish some supporters would recognise that tearing down players so easily is ultimately self-defeating. Moussa has been nothing but a pro and struggling with confidence at times. 

but euphemisms can be equally frustrating.

He is not atrocious imo.....but never the less, disappointing.

I am not writing him off, and can offer no real explanation, for his lack of threat......but there is an issue, that can frustrate some fans more than others.

He has moments, for sure.....but takes on passenger status, for long periods in a game.

There are certain elements of his game, that I am unsure of how confidence plays a part.....but that's just me.

as an example.....I don't see how a burst of pace down a flank, can require confidence, for a French International.....I simply don't see his pace, and am bamboozled by it, why.

Even if he makes a run in to the box, and gets brought down, it creates a nervy opponent and a possible set piece.....In reality, he is full of melancholy.....perhaps in the fullness of time, we will know.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

I don’t see Diaby as a traditional winger like Leon. He is a 10 or an inside forward. His game is about getting into pockets of space and making things happen through clever passing and movement. This is what he is really good at and it has lead to plenty of goals and assists. People expecting to see him hugging the touch line and beating players are always going to be disappointed.

To really flourish, his style is best suited to a team that controls the game and allows him to focus on creating problems in the final third. For whatever reason, we have really struggled to control matches since the turn of the year. Diaby is having to do too much without the ball, which is never going to suit him.

I actually think that all of our problems stem from central midfield. We are not offering our defence any protection and failing to move the ball quickly into dangerous areas for Diaby to exploit. Add to that, our fullbacks have been fairly ineffectual in the opposition half. If we address those two issues in the summer, our control of games will increase again and Diaby will be able to go to work.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, TRO said:

but euphemisms can be equally frustrating.

He is not atrocious imo.....but never the less, disappointing.

I am not writing him off, and can offer no real explanation, for his lack of threat......but there is an issue, that can frustrate some fans more than others.

He has moments, for sure.....but takes on passenger status, for long periods in a game.

There are certain elements of his game, that I am unsure of how confidence plays a part.....but that's just me.

as an example.....I don't see how a burst of pace down a flank, can require confidence, for a French International.....I simply don't see his pace, and am bamboozled by it, why.

Even if he makes a run in to the box, and gets brought down, it creates a nervy opponent and a possible set piece.....In reality, he is full of melancholy.....perhaps in the fullness of time, we will know.

Oh totally, I'm just frustrated by the flippancy of the language people use at times. I’m all for fair critique. It’s a game of margins after all and I’m sure Moussa knows he can improve. 

56 minutes ago, Steero113 said:

Form is form. Players go in and out of it wildly (most of the time). All we can do is trust in our recruitment that they have got things right.

The major positives are his initial showings which looked fantastic and his fairly good return stats-wise. 

Overall, his return in terms of G+A this season has been pretty solid given its his first season. 

You also said he's been atrocious this season, which, when taking into account all 36 games is fundamentally not true. 

Players do indeed go in and out of form but he’s been rubbish for the last 30 games suggesting the games he was good in were the anomaly. 

You think I like having to come on here and tell people Diaby is playing rubbish? 

Yes. Yes I do. 

He needs to wise up. Quick sharp.

• Haha 1

He’s been disappointing and frustrating since his blistering start, but 10 goals and 8 assists in all competitions isn’t bad for a “bad season”, I think he’s shown enough to give hope he can kick on next season. At Leverkusen I think he was used more as a winger, under Emery he plays a bit more centrally which may be the issue, it’s up to Emery over the summer to work with Diaby or tweak the system to make it work better, hopefully Diaby will regain confidence and start improving

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, david-avfc said:

He’s been disappointing and frustrating since his blistering start, but 10 goals and 8 assists in all competitions isn’t bad for a “bad season”, I think he’s shown enough to give hope he can kick on next season. At Leverkusen I think he was used more as a winger, under Emery he plays a bit more centrally which may be the issue, it’s up to Emery over the summer to work with Diaby or tweak the system to make it work better, hopefully Diaby will regain confidence and start improving

After the start I hoped for more but for a first season in the prem, that's not a bad return for a winger/forward. Many have had far worse first years before kicking on in year 2. With more creativity behind him next year (Buendia/Baena?) i'm sure he'll be fed more balls when in space and can showcase his skills. 👍 

I haven't got any worries with Diaby you can see the talent he has. Once he gains that confidence and swagger than Bailey took time to find he'll be a weapon for us. Can only hope he hits a purple patch starting tomorrow night! 

55 minutes ago, M_Afro said:

I don’t see Diaby as a traditional winger like Leon. He is a 10 or an inside forward. His game is about getting into pockets of space and making things happen through clever passing and movement. This is what he is really good at and it has lead to plenty of goals and assists. People expecting to see him hugging the touch line and beating players are always going to be disappointed.

To really flourish, his style is best suited to a team that controls the game and allows him to focus on creating problems in the final third. For whatever reason, we have really struggled to control matches since the turn of the year. Diaby is having to do too much without the ball, which is never going to suit him.

I actually think that all of our problems stem from central midfield. We are not offering our defence any protection and failing to move the ball quickly into dangerous areas for Diaby to exploit. Add to that, our fullbacks have been fairly ineffectual in the opposition half. If we address those two issues in the summer, our control of games will increase again and Diaby will be able to go to work.

💯 agree I mentioned this a few months ago but people still don’t get it .

• Like 1

As patchy as he’s been this season. He’s not far off matching Jack Grealish’s best season in terms goal contributions. 

MD: G6, A7

JG G6, A10

so that’s something 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Jas10 said:

This is fighting talk from Moussa and I hope that means he and the rest of the players are up for it. He needs to be bringing his A game after comments like those. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, CarryOnVilla said:

As patchy as he’s been this season. He’s not far off matching Jack Grealish’s best season in terms goal contributions. 

MD: G6, A7

JG G6, A10

so that’s something 

Exactly, and Bailey got 4 goals and 4 assists last season from a similar number of minutes to the amount Diaby's played this season. There's no reason we can't see a similar uptick in performance levels from Moussa next season once he's had another pre-season with Unai and his coaches.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, Talldarkandransome said:

If we don't sell him to the blues for their League 1 title charge I think he will be even better next season

They never did manage to replace Jacques Maghoma....

Edited by Villatillidie95

He played well in the 1st leg which was only a week ago, some of the critism is too harsh imo.

If you want to know about the struggles of a first season in the Prem search up Gvardiols comments the other week.

Posted (edited)

Sell this guy to the first offer we get in the summer. I dont give a shit if he comes good with whoever takes him.

I don't want to start next season with him in this team, play rubbish for 10 games then have to wait until January to get rid for even less money back. One of the biggest flops we've ever had.

Edited by R.Bear
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, R.Bear said:

Sell this guy to the first offer we get in the summer. I dont give a shit if he comes good with whoever takes him.

I don't want to start next season with him in this team, play rubbish for 10 games then have to wait until January to get rid for even less money back. One of the biggest flops we've ever had.

Go and support another team mate. We don’t need you.

Â