Moussa Diaby

Delphinho123

21 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

But on the point of heritage, even if we accept for the sake of argument that Saudi Arabia has none, I don't see the issue in them cultivating it?

If the Saudi involvement totally kills football in the rest of the world then there is one element of heritage that they can't replicate... The world cup. Fifa could potentially exclude Saudi Arabia from entering and any of the players playing in their league. See how quick they leave Saudi. 

1 minute ago, Made In Aston said:

If the Saudi involvement totally kills football in the rest of the world then there is one element of heritage that they can't replicate... The world cup. Fifa could potentially exclude Saudi Arabia from entering and any of the players playing in their league. See how quick they leave Saudi. 

Saudi will corrupt FIFA. Only a matter of time 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

No problem with a country trying to cultivate football there. It has to start somewhere.

I didn’t say anything about William McGregor or gas lamps. I suggested that a player may want to play in the premier league for a smaller club to compete against the bigger sides. Play on a bigger stage. And potentially play for one of those bigger, grander sides.

So that’s not really Messi joining PSG to face Nantes. It’s more a player joining Bournemouth (or Nantes) to test themselves against Man Utd (or PSG).

It doesn’t make me mad. My point is I don’t agree that the premier league was built on money alone and as such it’s not complete accurate to say the Saudi league is the same thing. I think there’s an existing attraction to playing in the same division as the likes of Liverpool, Man Utd, Arsenal, that isn’t there in Saudi Arabia. 

I agree, it's also the point I was making. It's nothing immutable about English football that makes this the case though. This is where I don't see heritage or tradition coming in.

They're the biggest and best sides because they paid the most money for their teams (same thing with PSG, a club that was founded in living memory), and that's something that can change over time.

Quality players weren't joining Charlton or Ipswich 20/30 years ago anywhere near the rate they are joining clubs like ours now, if they even were at all. The Serie A was the bigger draw then. But with time and money, we've rendered that league a limp feeder league for us.

I guess what this tells us is money trumps all really, and that's what the Saudi's are banking on, no pun intended. Get enough good players in, and then eventually playing against the Saudi "Big 4" could also be as much of a draw as playing against the Sky 6 in England. Especially if they start hosting/organizing intercontinental tournaments.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, maqroll said:

Would be an early source of blushes for Monchi if this deal doesn't get done.

Think that would be unfair. The Saudi pro league is an entirely different beast this season. The money being thrown at it and the players is staggering. Not many players will turn that down other than those who have the level of football that they are playing at the top of their agenda. 

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, Made In Aston said:

Fifa could potentially exclude Saudi Arabia from entering and any of the players playing in their league. See how quick they leave Saudi. 

There is a greater chance of Small Heath winning the Champions League than FIFA ever doing this

23 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

Us signing (or not) Diaby from Leverkusen is hardly ruining football. We'd probably happily sell them they're former best player back if they wanted to offer us less than we paid for him. 

Saudi on the other hand are definitely enabling certain clubs to circumvent FFP regulations, but seemingly not us. (So far...)

FFP is arguably the cause of the problem there, although now that states own Newcastle and Man City FFP is somewhat preventing an ever worse situation.

I generally agree with your point.

But is FFP preventing anything?  I think it’s being exploited to get a few rungs up the ladder faster than anything.

It’s not Fair Play if some clubs have access to a market that others don’t.

Chelsea and Newcastle can seemingly unload any player they want for any fee they want.

Quite literally chelsea could sell a player like Enzo to a Saudi club for say £300m.  Then the Saudi club could sell him to Newcastle for £50m

FFP my arse.

Just ditch it all together. 

Free for all.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Made In Aston said:

I'm pretty sure Saudi wont kill football, it will be the same as with China, the first year or two some players will be turned by the money and move there. But quite soon most of them will find out what shithole of a country it is and will want to leave. If they have wife and kids they will be out of there even quicker. No need to worry. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, WallisFrizz said:

Bored of this saga…next!

The trouble with modern media. It’s not really a saga - we’re just getting the Romano treatment on this one so all being played out in public, every ‘bid’ every non-update. It’ll happen this week. 

Just now, Awol said:

Paddy on FTLOPM gets good info, he’s just said Villa has agreed a fee with Leverkusen and it’s now on Diaby to choose where he goes. 

Took me way longer than it should have to work out what FTLOPM was 😅

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, villan-scott said:

I think they’re great lads, a favourite in Villa pod land.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Awol said:

Paddy on FTLOPM gets good info, he’s just said Villa has agreed a fee with Leverkusen and it’s now on Diaby to choose where he goes. 

Haven't seen it yet.

But if Paddy has given this information, i'm inclined to 99 percent say it's legit and the Happening Level is nigh!

2 minutes ago, villan-scott said:

I feel like I’m getting there, so far I’ve got ‘**** the lot of…’   Just the P & M to go…

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Haven't seen it yet.

But if Paddy has given this information, i'm inclined to 99 percent say it's legit and the Happening Level is nigh!

It’s on live now mate 

26 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

I agree, it's also the point I was making. It's nothing immutable about English football that makes this the case though. This is where I don't see heritage or tradition coming in.

They're the biggest and best sides because they paid the most money for their teams (same thing with PSG, a club that was founded in living memory), and that's something that can change over time.

Quality players weren't joining Charlton or Ipswich 20/30 years ago anywhere near the rate they are joining clubs like ours now, if they even were at all. The Serie A was the bigger draw then. But with time and money, we've rendered that league a limp feeder league for us.

I guess what this tells us is money trumps all really, and that's what the Saudi's are banking on, no pun intended. Get enough good players in, and then eventually playing against the Saudi "Big 4" could also be as much of a draw as playing against the Sky 6 in England. Especially if they start hosting/organizing intercontinental tournaments.

It’s this in a nutshell.

Growing up it was all about Serie A.  They had the money and all the players.

1991 We lost a world class player to **** Bari.

BARI.

Serie A was a monster, much like the premier league has been, and where the Saudi Pro league is trying to be now.

Heritage may be a thing, but it’s not THE thing.

Thats money.

Always has been.  Always will be.

• Like 1

Â