Moussa Diaby

Delphinho123

20 minutes ago, Zatman said:

PIF have no say in transfers from Gerrards team

Technically you're correct, but in reality I don't agree.  Al Ettifaq are 'owned by a name' that no one knows that much about, and it seems that they are owned by the Saudi ministry of sport. Given that PIF and the Saudi "ministries" are synonymous, I think that PIF are probably pulling the strings.

Sports washing is part of the Saudi agenda, and they are currently looking to do with football what they did with Golf.

Edited by villabromsgrove
spelling
  • Like 3

22 minutes ago, allani said:

I didn't think Gerrard was at a PIF club (at least not officially)?  I might well be wrong though...

Sorry Allani, I didn't notice your comment when I replied to Zatman. Your ("at least not officially") comment is right.

Edited by villabromsgrove
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, villabromsgrove said:

Sorry Allani, I didn't notice your comment when I replied to Zatman. Your ("at least not officially") comment is right.

Your answer is much better than mine was.  I agree with you - the chances of any of the teams not being run by PIF is pretty remote.  PIF will have little interest in backing a team to win the Saudi League, they just want to get as many names into the league as possible.  If that means owning all the clubs then that is what they will do (if they don't already).  Saudi bidders for top European teams will continue and though they will (probably) be distanced from PIF, the money ultimately all leads back to one place.  I thought Purslow spoke very eloquently about this and the need for the FA and the government (and UEFA and ultimately FIFA) to come up with much stricter rules around ownership - as that is a much bigger threat than "simple" FFP. 

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Made In Aston said:

That's OK then. Just benzema and kante to Newcastle. Phew! 

I know you’re joking but having seen similar a few times - the Saudis aren’t signing all these lads for their league to help Newcastle. They are signing them to have a strong league there to help with soft power, their World Cup and Olympic bids, and to get Saudi teams into the Champions League as part of driving tourism and their Vision 2030.

• Like 2

Just to play devils advocate here. I’m 24 and a club in Saudi Arabia offers me £350k a week tax free, I’m going to be tempted, regardless of what joke of league they play in. 

It’s mad money. I wouldn’t begrudge him taking it. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Delphinho123 said:

Just to play devils advocate here. I’m 24 and a club in Saudi Arabia offers me £350k a week tax free, I’m going to be tempted, regardless of what joke of league they play in. 

It’s mad money. I wouldn’t begrudge him taking it. 

Or, get £150k/week in the best league in the world, still playing in Europe, and if I do well I can get close to £350k in my next move to a bigger club, seeing as I'm still 24.

buying the aging players looking for a final pay day is one thing. buying 24 year olds in their prime though, this is the saudi league stepping it up a gear.

it is what it is. i'm sure we have back up targets.

1 minute ago, Keyblade said:

Or, get £150k/week in the best league in the world, still playing in Europe, and if I do well I can get close to £350k in my next move to a bigger club, seeing as I'm still 24.

Like I say, devils advocate. It’s a lot of money to wave in front of a kids face, especially in a profession where you’re an injury away from retirement. A 5yr deal on 350k a week tax free is £90m.

He signs on that dotted line for Al Nassr and the man is worth 90million quid. 

That’s hard to turn down.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Keyblade said:

key word being IF. plenty of top players have not cut it in the PL and a former team mate of his (bailey) is one of them

it's only the top, top players in europe that earn that sort of money. we're talking thelikes of KDB and haaland...i'm sure he backs his ability but he would really need to set the league alight to even be in with a sniff of earning that kind of money

if the reports are true, he's taking this offer all day long, as any player would

3 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

So both Newcastle and Chelsea have structured ties with Saudi.

Is the Al Nassr bid to undermine Aston Villa?

Seems plausible, Villa are now a rival, Emery also turned down Saudi money...

Exactly what I was thinking 

7 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

You can get 150 a week (probably more like 75 after taxes) and break a leg in first training session ending your career.

It's not an easy call really. 

2 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

key word being IF. plenty of top players have not cut it in the PL and a former team mate of his (bailey) is one of them

it's only the top, top players in europe that earn that sort of money. we're talking thelikes of KDB and haaland...i'm sure he backs his ability but he would really need to set the league alight to even be in with a sniff of earning that kind of money

if the reports are true, he's taking this offer all day long, as any player would

At 24, I don't know. Maybe if he were 28 or something. Players back themselves. Bailey thought he was going to light it up, or at least his father did. 

Â