Will we break our record transfer fee?

Jas10

Will we break our record transfer fee in this window?  

87 members have voted

1. 1. Will we break our record transfer fee?

• Yes
    • No

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 03/07/23 at 22:59

13 minutes ago, ender4 said:

Outside the top 6 and Newcastle, has any of the other 13 teams EVER had a transfer for £40m?

Id even ask has any Spanish team apart from Barcelona and Real Madrid broken £40m?

Has any French club apart from PSG?

Has any German club apart from Bayern?

Id say that £40m is a massive crazy transfer fee  and extremely rare outside Champions League clubs. 

You know your stuff! I just meant that 40m isn’t seen as a mental amount of money in the crazy football/PL world these days but when you’re talking about the level of clubs that spend that sort of money… I see your point.

Mind you, the likes of Spurs (who I believe we are looking to overtake/replace) and West Ham have actually spent big too.. on players such as a Ndombele, Richarlison, Romero, Haller, Paqueta etc to name a few. Maddison now too.

Wolves splashed out heavily on Cunha and Nunes… and where are they?

Edited by Jas10
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, ender4 said:

Outside the top 6 and Newcastle, has any of the other 13 teams EVER had a transfer for £40m?

Id even ask has any Spanish team apart from Barcelona and Real Madrid broken £40m?

Id say that £40m is a massive crazy transfer fee  and extremely rare outside Champions League clubs. 

Everton - Sigurdsson

Forest - Gibbs-White

West Ham - Haller

Wolves - Nunes

All these players either cost their teams over 40m or, in the case of Gibbs-White, will do so if they meet expectations

So over half the league have broke the 40m mark. It is still crazy mind

• Like 2
  • Shocked 1

19 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

It’s a great debate to have… and I agree on the overrated and overpriced point, with Mount as an example.

I think it’s great that we aren’t taking a restrictive approach, it’s easy to burn money on PL or British players and the English tax is very real… best avoided.

We have a manager and sporting director with a vast amount of knowledge, expertise and nous who have competed in games and seen so many players, so much talent, all over the world. Monchi has an extensive scouting network and contacts too.

I’m confident that we will be scouring the globe for the best combinations of talent and value (that’s not excluding “home based” players, but we won’t be narrowly focussed on them - what a deal Tielemans was) and we probably already have an extensive list of targets and alternatives.

As far as how attractive we are as a club… I think it’s quite considerable. Before Unai even arrived, we managed to attract Carlos and Kamara (pretty major coups for where we were at as a club) but now we have one of the best managers around, one of the most respected sporting directors, an exciting and ambitious project and… we showed our quality (under Unai) in a fairly short period of time (not a complete season).

I don’t believe that too many decents player with intelligence would look at us too negatively or as “beneath them…

It won’t be easy, but certainly not impossible.

The fact we’ve manage to sign Pau Torres will turn plenty of heads too…

The main allure is our manager though and he has the track record and histories to back up his reputation…

I agree on all points mate. 

What I would say about British tax though, is that any transfer is a risk of course, Fernando Torres going from prime Ronaldo at Liverpool to pound land Samatta at Chelsea shows that. 

But generally clubs feel like they can lower the risk of failure by signing players that have shown that they can be effective in PL. 

There are a million examples to back that up, and a million examples to prove that’s nonsense. But I understand the thought process. 

Edited by av1

3 minutes ago, picicata said:

Everton - Sigurdsson

Forest - Gibbs-White

West Ham - Haller

Wolves - Nunes

All these players either cost their teams over 40m or, in the case of Gibbs-White, will do so if they meet expectations

So over half the league have broke the 40m mark. It is still crazy mind

Oh I forgot Gibbs-White! CRAZY FEE!

19 minutes ago, ender4 said:

Atletico on Diego Costa, Joao Felix…

Sure there are other examples too.

6 hours ago, Jas10 said:

Those figures are according to transfermarkt, a bit different according to other sources.

Seen £34.5m for Buendia elsewhere. £28m for Bailey.

🤷‍♂️

Probably with/without add ons.

Transfermarkt isn't reliable for player valuations. 

3 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

Transfermarkt isn't reliable for player valuations. 

Yeah but the figures I shared aren’t valuations, they’re the transfer fees paid and Buendia is our record signing so far. Probably 38m total, 34+ add ons.

But if you mean the same, what’s a better source?

6 hours ago, ender4 said:

Atletico madrid have done it 3 times.

They've even topped £100m.

• Like 1

I want the right players, the less amount we get them the better. Would give us chance to improve more each window. Saying that, I’d be happy to get the likes of Nico Williams. But we have to be careful. Having Emery an Monchi should make us relaxed to be honest, but we’ve seen really bad transfers during the years and many overpriced players.

4 hours ago, Keyblade said:

Our record fee is comparatively low. I imagine we'll break it on at least 1 player this window if we have ambitions of cracking the top 5.

Oh come now it's the big 7. Skybet said so 🙄

13 hours ago, Jas10 said:

You know your stuff! I just meant that 40m isn’t seen as a mental amount of money in the crazy football/PL world these days but when you’re talking about the level of clubs that spend that sort of money… I see your point.

Mind you, the likes of Spurs (who I believe we are looking to overtake/replace) and West Ham have actually spent big too.. on players such as a Ndombele, Richarlison, Romero, Haller, Paqueta etc to name a few. Maddison now too.

Wolves splashed out heavily on Cunha and Nunes… and where are they?

It's not seen as a crazy amount in the PL, but it really is elsewhere.  Richarlison's move to Spurs is (apparently) the 77th most expensive transfer of all time.  Think about the sheer volume of football transfers that happen all over the World and then note that this one, which was for a large fee but not seen as crazy big, was the 77th most expensive ever.

We just live in an absolute bubble in this country.

29 minutes ago, bobzy said:

It's not seen as a crazy amount in the PL, but it really is elsewhere.  Richarlison's move to Spurs is (apparently) the 77th most expensive transfer of all time.  Think about the sheer volume of football transfers that happen all over the World and then note that this one, which was for a large fee but not seen as crazy big, was the 77th most expensive ever.

And if all the add ins are met it will be almost double what we are paying for pau Torres just for a bit of perspective and I know they play in different positions but if you asked me would I be excited  by us signing richarlison my honest answer would he no not really. He is an average player with a bit of an attitude problem and ability in his own head that doesn’t equal what he does on the pitch even if he is brazils starting centre forward. Am I excited  about Torres? Yes absolutely because I’ve seen him play and have a decent idea of what we are getting and it improves the starting 11 therefore the wider squad. 

and on the subject of transfer fees I think we will go big once in this window just don’t know who but I also wouldn’t be surprised if we sighed Ferran Torres on loan instead so I’m sat nicely on the fence

1 hour ago, bobzy said:

Everton paid £50m for Richarlison 

12 hours ago, mickjacobjr said:

Saying we are close to breaking ffp so negative on the podcast last night 

Doesn’t really add up when Emery/Monchi keep on referring to the ‘project’ they’ve taken on. They’re not going to be enticed here by the prospect of fishing about for free transfers.

Also as great a signing as Pau Torres is, there’s much more pressing needs in the attacking areas so if we’ve blown the whole kitty on him that’s not too clever. 

I reckon we’ll break the Buendia record twice this summer. Striker and winger.