Will we break our record transfer fee?

Jas10

Will we break our record transfer fee in this window?  

87 members have voted

1. 1. Will we break our record transfer fee?

• Yes
    • No

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 03/07/23 at 22:59

Not a chance of us spending £140m this window as I pointed out a few weeks back.

However, to answer the OP question about transfer record, maybe, but if we do it will be only marginally higher than the reported Torres fee or what we paid for Buendia.

As we've seen several times under these owners, we have an amazing ability to attract high value players for either nothing, or less than their market value. I expect that to continue.

One thing we won't be doing is spunking £60-70m on one player and certainly not on the likes of Mason Mount.

So in summary, I'm gonna say no. I doubt we will. But more because of the way the club operates as opposed to us not wanting/targeting top players.

But it's not impossible.

Edited by GlobalVillan
  • Like 2

its pure vanity to break the record transfer fee.....There is nothing in it, its over rated speculation IMO. 

I would be happy with all free transfers...but we know that is unlikely.

I think it shows absolute Nous, to sign the RIGHT players for low fee's.

We have to be acutely aware of the threats of FFP....so the management are acting with business like acumen.

The risks involved in paying a huge transfer fee, are far reaching, too....I don't get, why we have put ourselves under that much pressure, when there are plenty of deals to be done, in a budgetary way.

The biggest threat to any manager, is players not working out, after paying out huge transfer fee's......I don't want UE or Monchie to be put under that kind of pressure. I value there presence with us.

Edited by TRO
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, GlobalVillan said:

Not a chance of us spending £140m this window as I pointed out a few weeks back.

Link? Or what’s the basis for this?

We have wealthy owners, clear new revenue streams, and a proven manager.

There were several suggestions around January that Emery had money but chose to save the kitty for this summer.

I don’t know how much money we have but I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s a big number.

• Like 1

It’s not about how high the transfer fee is, it’s how good the player is and how well they fit. We could easily blow £40m+ on an overhyped player, and not improve our starting 11 at all and end up with a very expensive misfit. We could buy an unknown player from Spain for €15m and they could be a great signing as we proved in January. I don’t think there’s a set rule anymore that a player of a certain quality costs X, it’s just so all over the place

Edited by david-avfc

2 hours ago, TRO said:

its pure vanity to break the record transfer fee.....There is nothing in it, its over rated speculation IMO. 

I would be happy with all free transfers...but we know that is unlikely.

I think it shows absolute Nous, to sign the RIGHT players for low fee's.

We have to be acutely aware of the threats of FFP....so the management are acting with business like acumen.

The risks involved in paying a huge transfer fee, are far reaching....I don't get, why we have put ourselves under that much pressure, when there are plenty of deals to be done, in a budgetary way.

The biggest threat to any manager, is players not working out, after paying out huge transfer fee's......I don't want UE or Monchie to be put under that kind of pressure. I value their presence with us.

What pressure?

I’m sure we’ll be pursuing the best combinations of value and quality… but decent attackers don’t come cheap.

But, as the club have shown, there are deals to be had…

9 hours ago, Enda said:

Link? Or what’s the basis for this?

We have wealthy owners, clear new revenue streams, and a proven manager.

There were several suggestions around January that Emery had money but chose to save the kitty for this summer.

I don’t know how much money we have but I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s a big number.

Fair question. And I will just say that from everything I've heard from working in certain circles, it's not going to be a window that we spend that kind of money. 

Also, as per my post, we have an uncanny ability to make a 140m window into half of that. As we've seen with signings in tha last 18 months or so. I'd say Kamara, Tielemans, Moreno and Torres would be easily 140m and we've paid under 50m.

• Like 3

When you think about the potential business we've done so far (presuming torres signs) it shows we don't have to be breaking records to get quality in. Potentially both new signings are an upgrade and a level above what we have. 

Leeds broke their record on a striker,  I can't even remember his name and I'm not sure he even scored for them, ultimately, they went down.

If we get Ferran on a loan with a view to buy at 25mil then this will be shaping up to being our best window ever without paying silly money (in relative terms)

• Like 1

23 hours ago, GlobalVillan said:

However, to answer the OP question about transfer record, maybe, but if we do it will be only marginally higher than the reported Torres fee or what we paid for Buendia.

As we've seen several times under these owners, we have an amazing ability to attract high value players for either nothing, or less than their market value. I expect that to continue.

One thing we won't be doing is spunking £60-70m on one player and certainly not on the likes of Mason Mount.

So in summary, I'm gonna say no. I doubt we will. But more because of the way the club operates as opposed to us not wanting/targeting top players.

But it's not impossible.

good post.

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, NoelVilla said:

If the right player wants to come we will. 

I suspect this. Someone like a Williams or a Chiesa would obviously see us do it, but we won't sign a vanity player - not under this management.

I don't see us spending £35m on a right back, obviously not on a back up keeper or another midfielder as we're stacked there now, and we've got 2 players in Kamara and Luiz who are worth more than our transfer record.

My gut feeling is that we won't break the record fee because Williams looks like it isnt happening, we're probably below Chiesa at this stage, and I think we're unlikely to sign a striker to displace Watkins - unless he leaves, in which case I suspect we would.

• Like 1

I’m not sure how bothered anyone really is about breaking the transfer record. I know I’m not. The only thing is doing so would suggest the intent that club has in competing, if that does indeed need confirming for some.

For what it’s worth, our record transfers over the years are somewhat hit, miss and debatable as to how successful they were.

I think these are the record transfers over the years. Possibly Ashley Young might have cost more than Angel did when he first arrived. Not sure.

1995 Savo 3.5m

1996 Curvic 4m

1997 Collymore 7m

2000 Angel 9.25m

2008 Milner 12m

2011 Bent 18m (rising to 24m)

2019 Wesley 22m *

2020 Watkins 28m (rising to 32m)

2021 Buendia 33m (rising to 38m)

* Mings I think was 20.5m rising to 26m, but I think Wes was the one being touted as the club record signing.

I think there are two genuinely successful transfers there that everyone would agree with (Milner and Watkins). If I go back to Dean Saunders then that would be another unarguably good transfer.

That doesn’t mean that the others were all failures but there’s probably some disagreement as to how good the record signings were for their relative cost.

Basically this is just showing my working in why breaking the club record isn’t something I’m desperate to see us doing because we’re a bit patchy in the success rate.

• Like 1