Will we break our record transfer fee?

Jas10

Will we break our record transfer fee in this window?  

87 members have voted

1. 1. Will we break our record transfer fee?

• Yes
    • No

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 03/07/23 at 22:59

Those figures are according to transfermarkt, a bit different according to other sources.

Seen £34.5m for Buendia elsewhere. £28m for Bailey.

🤷‍♂️

Probably with/without add ons.

Edited by Jas10

Buendia was 33m + up to 5m add ons I believe.  With the amount he's played and qualifying for Europe I expect we'll have hit most of them. 

So I'm taking 38m as the target. 

And on that basis, I think we'll spend over 40m on our new second striker/right forward and break the record. 

• Like 1

I know I’m not answering the question so this is a boring answer, but I don’t really care (no offence to the OP. 

I just want us to strengthen. If Emery feels like he needs to smash the transfer record on a certain player to do it then I’m sure the club will back him. But with seen with Kamara, Tielemans, and potentially Torres that there is also great value to be had. 

But if I had to take a guess, I’d probably say yes, on a wide forward. 

Edited by av1

4 minutes ago, av1 said:

I know I’m not answering the question so this is a boring answer, but I really care (no offence to the OP. 

I just want us to strengthen. If Emery feels like he needs to smash the transfer record on a certain player to do it then I’m sure the club will back him. But with seen with Kamara, Tielemans, and potentially Torres that there is also great value to be had. 

I agree. 

I don't think we have to break it to improve.

It almost feels like we should to really make that statement, but if we keep getting players of the quality of Pau Torres for less than our current record I definitely won't be complaining.

2 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

I agree. 

I don't think we have to break it to improve.

It almost feels like we should to really make that statement, but if we keep getting players of the quality of Pau Torres for less than our current record I definitely won't be complaining.

I do get your point mate, appearance might look good to other potential signings, but if you get that right who cares? 

As an example, UTD signing Sancho probably made worldwide news, but would Brighton fans swap him for Minimino (sp?)

Probably not. 

22 minutes ago, av1 said:

I know I’m not answering the question so this is a boring answer, but I don’t really care (no offence to the OP. 

None taken, it’s a fair point. Just wondering whether we will but it’s not a necessity - I’d rather we find the best value and high potential players.

But, it becomes more likely if we target a higher calibre of player and attackers are usually the most expensive players. We need to be more dangerous and clinical.

40m is not a huge/astronomical transfer fee/amount in this day and age either…

Nice to see Unai being backed and I have full faith and belief in him.

Edited by Jas10

12 minutes ago, av1 said:

I do get your point mate, appearance might look good to other potential signings, but if you get that right who cares? 

As an example, UTD signing Sancho probably made worldwide news, but would Brighton fans swap him for Minimino (sp?)

Probably not. 

Great point and example, large fees and wages don’t guarantee success… it’s more important to have high quality scouting…

14 minutes ago, av1 said:

Probably not. 

Let’s go even further 😆 Antony or Mitoma???

Edited by Jas10

4 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

None taken, it’s a fair point. Just wondering whether we will but it’s not a necessity - I’d rather we find the best value and high potential players.

But, it becomes more likely if we target a higher calibre of player and attackers are usually the most expensive players. We need to be more dangerous and clinical.

Nice to see Unai being backed and I have full faith and belief in him.

I agree mate. 

I think the other difficultly is that our position is a little difficult. 

Take James Mason Mount, now I’m absolutely not saying I’d have liked to sign the bloke, I think he’s overrated (but that’s for another thread) but even if we wanted him we wouldn’t have got him because he views himself as a CL player. 

That’s the problem. The guys that are generally viewed as players that could get us to the level we want, probably have offer from teams already there. 

It’s so difficult 

1 minute ago, av1 said:

I agree mate. 

I think the other difficultly is that our position is a little difficult. 

Take James Mason Mount, now I’m absolutely not saying I’d have liked to sign the bloke, I think he’s overrated (but that’s for another thread) but even if we wanted him we wouldn’t have got him because he views himself as a CL player. 

That’s the problem. The guys that are generally viewed as players that could get us to the level we want, probably have offer from teams already there. 

It’s so difficult 

It’s a great debate to have… and I agree on the overrated and overpriced point, with Mount as an example.

I think it’s great that we aren’t taking a restrictive approach, it’s easy to burn money on PL or British players and the English tax is very real… best avoided.

We have a manager and sporting director with a vast amount of knowledge, expertise and nous who have competed in games and seen so many players, so much talent, all over the world. Monchi has an extensive scouting network and contacts too.

I’m confident that we will be scouring the globe for the best combinations of talent and value (that’s not excluding “home based” players, but we won’t be narrowly focussed on them - what a deal Tielemans was) and we probably already have an extensive list of targets and alternatives.

As far as how attractive we are as a club… I think it’s quite considerable. Before Unai even arrived, we managed to attract Carlos and Kamara (pretty major coups for where we were at as a club) but now we have one of the best managers around, one of the most respected sporting directors, an exciting and ambitious project and… we showed our quality (under Unai) in a fairly short period of time (not a complete season).

I don’t believe that too many decents player with intelligence would look at us too negatively or as “beneath them…

It won’t be easy, but certainly not impossible.

The fact we’ve manage to sign Pau Torres will turn plenty of heads too…

The main allure is our manager though and he has the track record and histories to back up his reputation…

9 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

I wonder what our highest collective transfer spend in a single window is? I expect us to exceed that…

Summer window after we came back up I’d have thought. Think it was in the region of £140m.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

Outside the top 6 and Newcastle, has any of the other 13 teams EVER had a transfer for £40m?

Id even ask has any Spanish team apart from Barcelona and Real Madrid broken £40m?

Has any French club apart from PSG?

Has any German club apart from Bayern?

Id say that £40m is a massive crazy transfer fee  and extremely rare outside Champions League clubs. 

1 minute ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Summer window after we came back up I’d have thought. Think it was in the region of £140m.

It was quoted as £123m rising to £140m with add-ons.

15 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

I wonder what our highest collective transfer spend in a single window is? I expect us to exceed that…

As others have mentioned above it was the season we came up. I don't think we will spend more than £140m as I think Torres and a wide attacker/ forward will be our only large outlays