Future Club Crest & Brand Identity

fightoffyour

The premier league has exploded in terms of global reach and popularity since the Lerner era badge and to international fans and brands it is synonymous with AVFC. The new NSWE era badge is an evolution of that design - I’m sure someone in marketing and advertising can sum up better than I ever could why they’ve chosen to do this rather than a full new design.

I get why some don’t like it and prefer the nostalgic round badge but it has the lion the name and the year we were founded - it conveys what it’s supposed to and I hope upon launch we will hear more regarding the reasoning behind this design choice. I don’t think for a second it’s been done for egotistical reasons by Heck and if he truly believed the round badge which I’ve always thought was underwhelming was the right one to grow the brand moving forwards it would’ve stayed. 

The thing which will always be with the new badge is the off centre Aston Villa at the bottom. I know it can't be centred, but it still looks absolutely crap like someone knocked it up on paint in 5 mins

• Like 2

If anything it feels like yet another place holder badge that will be gone withing a couple years. They didn't like the round one (fair enough I guess) but had more important things to focus on (also fair) so went with something that was already there and just tweaked it a bit. Shame it was the terribly designed Lerner badge with a bright yellow lion on light blue which is just a terrible combination. We might as well have a monkey juggling snickers bars riding a bicycle as a lion on it because it's impossible to make out unless you are right next to it in the exact right light. Ah, but the drop shadow some will say...

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, thabucks said:

The premier league has exploded in terms of global reach and popularity since the Lerner era badge and to international fans and brands it is synonymous with AVFC. The new NSWE era badge is an evolution of that design - I’m sure someone in marketing and advertising can sum up better than I ever could why they’ve chosen to do this rather than a full new design.

I get why some don’t like it and prefer the nostalgic round badge but it has the lion the name and the year we were founded - it conveys what it’s supposed to and I hope upon launch we will hear more regarding the reasoning behind this design choice. I don’t think for a second it’s been done for egotistical reasons by Heck and if he truly believed the round badge which I’ve always thought was underwhelming was the right one to grow the brand moving forwards it would’ve stayed. 

Is it what I would have gone for? No, but I get what they've done and why.

The Heck hate is probably more of a consequence of him replacing Purslow, who I think was pretty universally respected, the North Stand cancellation which was pretty much his first act and cancelling the roll out of the new round badge going with a rebrand after the process was basically complete. Both the North Stand and the badge were very poorly communicated imo.

I didn't like the new round badge either. It was boring, unoriginal and lion is facing the wrong way for ridiculous reasons (apparently it's something to do with him moving forward, not back?).

I do think the new shirt deal is disappointing from a moral point of view. I don't think anyone wanted another betting company, but it's money and at the end of the day it'll be forgiven if we manage to kick on as a club. He's got double the money for it and it's being made by a proper company, not Castore who have frankly been an embarrassment.

The new investment hints at something big coming down the road which hopefully will generate a bit of positivity for him.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, thabucks said:

Well maybe they could have said something along those lines last summer instead of the B.S we got?

That the whole 2022 process of finding an identity for villa fans to appreciate was a waste because the new audience is more important and to them villa is now known to a new audience as the pale yellow lion club so that trumps all else.

• Like 1

If they release the same badge that was leaked in January it’s serious incompetence. Branding incompetence compounded with a complete and utter comms and fan relations failure. 

They’ve had the pretty much universal reaction of the fan base and enough time to quietly resolve it in the nearly f-o-u-r months that they’ve delayed the release. 

If that is coupled with news of another big rise in season ticket then quite frankly heck will have to go into hiding as even lord Unai won’t be able to save him from the wrath of Villa nation. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, fightoffyour said:

The new badge is objectively shit: pale yellow on light blue, objectively shit; drop shadow, objectively shit; off-centre lion position, objectively shit.

If this design turns out to be the actual badge as it seems, Heck - the supposed branding expert - can't be forgiven for that. This won't be one of those "the fans might not like it, but it's beneficial to the club" things, because it's objectively an incredibly shit design that will harm our branding when we seem set to reach the biggest international stage for the first time in a generation.

Your opinion. Everyone has one. 

They key part is not being a run of the mill round badge. Also the badge needs to be simple so it can be put on lots of different merchandise. 

I get a lot of negativity for harping on the off field issues.  I just want us to be as good off the field as we are on it. I want us to be the best version of ourselves and I think we deserve the best (especially given price increases).

Just now, CVByrne said:

They key part is not being a run of the mill round badge. Also the badge needs to be simple so it can be put on lots of different merchandise. 

There are more shields than round badges

But parking that why not deliver a shield with a claret lion on blue background? Why keep the aspects people really hate?

1 minute ago, Captain_Townsend said:

I get a lot of negativity for harping on the off field issues.  I just want us to be as good off the field as we are on it. I want us to be the best version of ourselves and I think we deserve the best (especially given price increases).

To me, off the field is about revenue. Maximise it to close gap on the top clubs as that is the fuel for the investment in the squad. It's about winning football matches 

Just now, CVByrne said:

To me, off the field is about revenue. Maximise it to close gap on the top clubs as that is the fuel for the investment in the squad. It's about winning football matches 

Yeah, but it's not really apparent how certain things are going to achieve that. Why would I buy merchandise this season when I don't know what the badge is and the club said the current one is shit?! Not the best now is it.

2 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

A good brand would help this.

A shit clip art badge that looks like a 7 year old has made it on his dad's computer won't help

Totally agree. I do prefer the new leaked badge and the old badge to the current round one. I think this is the right unique style and continuity we need 

4 minutes ago, Captain_Townsend said:

Yeah, but it's not really apparent how certain things are going to achieve that. Why would I buy merchandise this season when I don't know what the badge is and the club said the current one is shit?! Not the best now is it.

We have to wait until our new partners were all signed up before we can do any of that. We only announced our short sponsor a few days ago. Adidas need to make all these now. That's the reason for the delay 

2 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

We have to wait until our new partners were all signed up before we can do any of that. We only announced our short sponsor a few days ago. Adidas need to make all these now. That's the reason for the delay 

Top Secret!: I know a little German. on Make a GIF

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
34 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

My opinion is the badge is shit.

Factually, it consists of design elements that are shit.

One may have an opinion that the badge looks good despite that, but there are multiple elements that are objectively shit. That's not an opinion.

Edited by fightoffyour
  • Like 4

Â