Future Club Crest & Brand Identity

fightoffyour

7 hours ago, CarryOnVilla said:

So, having a tinker to tweak the new badge in to something I like

First off, "Aston Villa" at the bottom feels squished in, and being near the Shield's tip emphasised how the words are not balanced. so a move to the top to get away from the tip... Also, I softened off the drop shadow to be less blocky, but keep the colour separation 
AV-badge-Carry-On-Remix-basic.png  

The contrast, between the shirt, shield looks great, But the shield and lion doesnt contrast well... so a colour swap around

AV-Badge-Carry-On-Remix-row-1.png

Trying to get a nice balance of all our colours and I can't seem to like any of them more than the yellow lion..

odd

I'm OK with the new one, but this does look a lot better. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, CarryOnVilla said:

Why is it important to have our founding year on our badge? 

also, are people fussed about the 150th anniversary?  

I agree.  I would prefer to have 1874 as a design detail on the shirt (e.g. on the back of the neckline / collar), maybe as an overlay on the shirt number, etc.  I think it's an important brand element - but that doesn't mean it needs to appear on the badge.

I think the 150th anniversary should definitely be a big thing to celebrate - I won't be here for the 200th anniversary.

• Like 2

Hang on a minute I was told today that the vast majority of Villa fans hated the new badge and yet I’m reading actually some like it… almost like a few haters think they speak for us all.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, CarryOnVilla said:

Yes. 

yet, are people generally fussed by Villas (or any other club’s) founding year and its 150 anniversary 

I think it’s going to depend on how it is done.

If the club does it well, it will attract interest from new supporters, while engaging existing supporters. Our history has always been something to be proud of, the narrative of our 150th year and champions league football will keep eyes on the club through hopefully legacy media and social media.

I believe how we see it as existing fans, will be how well the club celebrates the anniversary.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, CarryOnVilla said:

Yes. 

yet, are people generally fussed by Villas (or any other club’s) founding year and its 150 anniversary 

I think a lot of my non-Villa supporting friends are pretty impressed by the 150 year thing and also our role in setting up league football as we know it.  I mean I'd like them to think that we're a great club in the current era rather than "just" a historic club - but hopefully that's changing.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, juanpabloangel18 said:

It's wild how much better this one is, with Aston Villa up top and the lion in a balanced central position

Sigh

So strange that they didn't go with this. I'd like to think there's some sort of marketing/branding thing that we're not aware of that makes the name at the bottom preferable, but on face value it looks so much better at the top

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, ThunderPower_14 said:

The 1874 is the perfect example of why fan votes or listening to fan submissions about elements doesn't work.

The club ask people if they want 1874 on the badge, they say yes, and it gets shoehorned in awkwardly and doesn't fit with the rest of the design. I don't love the star either, but I can at least see how it fits on the badge. The 1874 takes up valuable real estate while also blending in way too much. The lion would fit much more naturally on the badge if the 1874 was removed. But we have to have it because of "fan consultation".

True,  though, 1874 topped off our round badge really nicely I felt. But yeah, it doesn't work so well on their shield so they should have just got rid of it like they did claret lion etc.

Edited by Captain_Townsend

1 minute ago, ThunderPower_14 said:

The 1874 is the perfect example of why fan votes or listening to fan submissions about elements doesn't work.

The club ask people if they want 1874 on the badge, they say yes, and it gets shoehorned in awkwardly and doesn't fit with the rest of the design. I don't love the star either, but I can at least see how it fits on the badge. The 1874 takes up valuable real estate while also blending in way too much. The lion would fit much more naturally on the badge if the 1874 was removed. But we have to have it because of "fan consultation".

From a design POV I’m not a fan of as you say “shoehorning” in the “1874” and from a fan POV I have no idea why we need it. This year it makes sense, as it’s the 150th anniversary. Other than that, we don’t really acknowledge our founding year. It just feels like a general football thing to have and that’s why it’s there. 

Now the star… it’s not our identity, it’s just our achievement. I don’t believe it should ever be part of the main body of the badge but always accompany it.. outside of the main badge, or else where on the kit.  

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, ThunderPower_14 said:

Indeed, the 1874 and the Star are the things I consistently dislike about ALL the badges, including some quality mock-ups by fans.

34 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Indeed, the 1874 and the Star are the things I consistently dislike about ALL the badges, including some quality mock-ups by fans.

I like the 1874 on this one - I like what it says and the little bit of white it brings to the colour scheme.

1 hour ago, ThunderPower_14 said:

1 hour ago, Captain_Townsend said:

True,  though, 1874 topped off our round badge really nicely I felt. But yeah, it doesn't work so well on their shield so they should have just got rid of it like they did claret lion etc.

1 hour ago, CarryOnVilla said:

From a design POV I’m not a fan of as you say “shoehorning” in the “1874” and from a fan POV I have no idea why we need it. This year it makes sense, as it’s the 150th anniversary. Other than that, we don’t really acknowledge our founding year. It just feels like a general football thing to have and that’s why it’s there. 

Now the star… it’s not our identity, it’s just our achievement. I don’t believe it should ever be part of the main body of the badge but always accompany it.. outside of the main badge, or else where on the kit.  

38 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

3 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I like the 1874 on this one - I like what it says and the little bit of white it brings to the colour scheme.

If I understand correctly it was Heck that really wanted the ‘1874’ on the badge from his comments in that article and comments I’ve heard elsewhere. It’s something he’s talked about.  Maybe the fans wanted it but I think Heck had a say in that part.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
21 hours ago, CarryOnVilla said:

Accepting all the known limitations and even the assumed limitations that went in to the redesign..... this is what we should have ended up with.

The drop shadow is no longer offensive, and in fact its barely noticeable. But it does its job of allowing the lion to stand out.

The lion is central and at a distance doesn't look like he's squished up the top of the badge for no apparent reason.

The name doesn't look misaligned because the space in the middle of it directly aligns with the middle of the lions head. It's meant to be.

I can't understand why, when knowing he wanted to stick close to our previous identity, we didn't do this.

Edited by MrBlack
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Why the Heck can't we just have (quite) nice things.

Unique crest shape ✅
Club colour scheme ✅
Gold lion ✅
Name in full ✅
Scales down well ✅
Stands out on the home shirt and white backgrounds ✅

New-Crest-New-Lion-Stereo00small.pngNew-Crest-New-Lion-Stereo01small.png

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, nick76 said:

If I understand correctly it was Heck that really wanted the ‘1874’ on the badge from his comments in that article and comments I’ve heard elsewhere. It’s something he’s talked about.  Maybe the fans wanted it but I think Heck had a say in that part.

If Heck wanted it it's on the badge.

If Heck didn't want it it's not on the badge.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, OutByEaster? said:

If Heck wanted it it's on the badge.

If Heck didn't want it it's not on the badge.

Fair point!

Posted (edited)
21 hours ago, CarryOnVilla said:

So, having a tinker to tweak the new badge in to something I like

First off, "Aston Villa" at the bottom feels squished in, and being near the Shield's tip emphasised how the words are not balanced. so a move to the top to get away from the tip... Also, I softened off the drop shadow to be less blocky, but keep the colour separation 

The contrast, between the shirt, shield looks great, But the shield and lion doesnt contrast well... so a colour swap around

AV-Badge-Carry-On-Remix-row-1.png

Trying to get a nice balance of all our colours and I can't seem to like any of them more than the yellow lion..

odd

So simple.

Such an upgrade.

Our badge is embarrassing. I want it changed ASAP.

Edited by Tomaszk
  • Like 2

Â