Future Club Crest & Brand Identity

fightoffyour

1 minute ago, The_Steve said:

I will add that the lack of due diligence around white label gambling companies continues to disgust and appall me. It’s another shameful episode. 

lack of due diligence or lack of giving a shit about anything but the money

Just now, CarryOnVilla said:

What’s your opinion on the all the badges? 
judging by your reactions, you like the new round badge. Why? And do you like it more than the old round badge? 

I like a round badge style, I think the current round badge is bland and despite some on here saying the designers were limited by the criteria I’m calling BS on that because there were some good fan designs. I’ve learnt to love it though probably because of the season we’ve had.

I think the Lerner badge is awful and the Heck simple version is worse.

I’m disappointed to move from the round shaped badge but got over that a few months ago.  Although for the club to go away from what the fans overwhelmingly picked is not great.

The round badge has also be a symbol of our season or at least linked with this successful season.  

I think the shield shape is boring, it’s more used than the round styled badge and yes it’s slightly different than most other shields, it’s still a boring shield at the end of the day.  

I don’t want something fancy or out there, I just want something good and yes the fans to have some say.  

The Heck simple version is an abomination, the Heck detailed lion is better but still there are so many problems with it.  

If it’s to be a shield shape badge then fine, not my choice, but I’m not going to wet the bed over it, just make sure the other elements are good, balanced and predominantly claret and blue.

• Like 3

I can get behind the new shield with detailed lion. Just move the star outside and below the shield. And don’t mess with it until we win the Champions league when we add another.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, nick76 said:

I like a round badge style, I think the current round badge is bland and despite some on here saying the designers were limited by the criteria I’m calling BS on that because there were some good fan designs. I’ve learnt to love it though probably because of the season we’ve had.

This is a great example in itself to demonstrate limitations.  You prefer (some, from hundreads) fan designs over a branding agency’s. The fans have no brief, client interference or a need to illustrate a lion icon. The agency did. From my experience in ad agencies, their final work feels like they had a limited brief or a hell of a lot client interference. Because, what was presented (at least to us) was limited.  2 badges, one that perfectly matches the survey results, be it with a new lion, in the other direction and another that had some contextual thought put in to it, but essentially based upon the same design thought. They wasn’t exactly opposing ideas and they didn’t really express any more to the wider branding of club (what’s needed). Just two versions of the same badge really, what’s rather a limited choice for us, not just in opinions,  but directional options too

Although for the club to go away from what the fans overwhelmingly picked is not great.

Not great to do, yet the fans didn’t get great options either. 

I think the Lerner badge is awful and the Heck simple version is worse.

I agree, yet I do feel heck’s shield shape is nicer than the Lerner one. Not the first thing that’s springs to mind needing a change, but oddly welcome, in my opinion, aswell as dropping the AVFC. Every other chance/ lack of chance, not so welcome.

I don’t want something fancy or out there, I just want something good and yes the fans to have some say.  

I personally agree on both parts. Yet the options should be different to each other. Simple, to fancy, to something else. 

If it’s to be a shield shape badge then fine, not my choice, but I’m not going to wet the bed over it, just make sure the other elements are good, balanced and predominantly claret and blue.

That’s a fair opinion. For me, I do like the new shield shape. And I like how it’s been used in the Adidas launch campaign. The campaign design feels that there’s now a wider design idea and philosophy that could be used club wide. 

it’s picked up a few things that I’ve noticed about the club (probably why I like it)

we are an old club, a founding club, formed in a Victorian industrial era city. with old fashioned colours and an old fashioned stadium. Yet, we are reborn and ready (“prepared”) for the future

The Victorian designed murals on brickwork, just feels that and once changed to a lion, feels Aston Villa  

GNOkm1pXQAACn5Z?format=jpg&name=900x900

Edited by CarryOnVilla
  • Like 4

Was thinking about the new crest/badge last night and the news that the kit is meant to be unveiled tomorrow (According to FTLOPM Podcast). Would the club make it a double unveiling perhaps to soften the fan issues with it?

Would seem strange to reveal a new kit without showing us the new badge first?

31 minutes ago, ferguson1 said:

Was thinking about the new crest/badge last night and the news that the kit is meant to be unveiled tomorrow (According to FTLOPM Podcast). Would the club make it a double unveiling perhaps to soften the fan issues with it?

Feel club are nervous about fan reaction and are doing all they can to soften the blow.  The badge was supposed to be unveiled months ago. 

1 hour ago, ferguson1 said:

I mean it’s pretty obvious they are going to showcase the new kit and it will just happen to have the new badge on it that they won’t mention.  

So then you can’t get too upset about the badge because you are commenting on the new Adidas kit instead.

• Sad 1

Just now, ender4 said:

I mean it’s pretty obvious they are going to showcase the new kit and it will just happen to have the new badge on it that they won’t mention.  

So then you can’t get too upset about the badge because you are commenting on the new Adidas kit instead.

Remember their BS last summer about 'monitoring reaction' to the round badge?

Not even going to bother this time around 🤣

1 minute ago, ender4 said:

This is how it’s going to play out 

• Like 1

I’ve had no real affinity to our bagde since being a child and my first Villa kit 91/92 - every badge since hasn’t really bothered me too much personally. We will always be Aston Villa FC and play in Claret, we are the founding fathers of league football with a rampant lion. The new badge is instantly recognisable as ours. Emery and who wears the badge is more important to me. Fans seem to be getting nowadays too hung up of amortisation and branding. We are playing champions league football next season after having our best season in decades… that’s what is important to me but get others feel differently and that is the joy of football 

• Like 4

Posted (edited)

I wouldn't be commenting half has much on this thread if they hadn't tried so much BS on us last summer. Be up front, say the new branding guy doesn't like our choice and thinks something else would work. All that stuff about trying two badges for a year, paying homage to 1982 in its 41st anniversary, monitoring reaction blah blah blah.

It got my back up.

Edited by Captain_Townsend
  • Like 3

Heck was right that the round badge had a lukewarm reception but his decision to scrap it was 100% about money and money only. 

What we should have done is just reverted to the Lerner badge instead of releasing a "new" badge that will cause more anger. 

I hope one day we are told the ins and outs of what happened with this because it's been a bizarre sequence of events for us to move to a clearly inferior badge. 

I honestly don’t understand any animosity toward the club over this issue at a time when we’ve just qualified for the champions league. 

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, Captain_Townsend said:

I wouldn't be commenting half has much on this thread if they hadn't tried so much BS on us last summer. Be up front, say the new branding guy doesn't like our choice and thinks something else would work. All that stuff about trying two badges for a year, paying homage to 1982 in its 41st anniversary, monitoring reaction blah blah blah.

It got my back up.

It did get my back up. It could definitely have been handled better.

For myself, it's time to move on now. Little to be gained in not.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Captain_Townsend said:

It got my back up.

giphy.gif?cid=9b38fe91sdkmoyc52j5jvo4fw1

we never noticed 🤭

but tbh, I feel your frustration, it was a underhand way of saying “we don’t like this, we going to bin it” it also seems like you’re frustrated that scrapping the new round badge was undermining the fans choice. More so, when you seem to like the new round badge aswell. 

Yet, I see why Heck and his team wanted to scrap it (I’ve mentioned most above, but in short) 

A flawed/skewed/limited process to get to it. 
Incomplete expanded branding. 
lack of fan choice, and of lack design choice (we just had two of the same design idea). 
(Also) the execution was teamed with the worst kit/sponser in years. 
it’s unfortunately has the round badge identical to other round badge design

a new marketing team coming in to this imcomplete mess has limited choice, finish it with no instructions or start again. 

they stated again. I’m not convinced by the latest badge, but at least the wider branding feels like it has a direction for the fist time in years 

Edited by CarryOnVilla

1 hour ago, Captain_Townsend said:

It got my back up.

I entirely get why they decided to ditch the Purslow rebrand, but yes, implicitly announcing (through obvious lies) that they would scrap it within the kit launch of this season's kits was such a bizarre decision.

Then you get the impression that this rebrand was a bit rushed: the issue with having zero fan input is that by the time this new badge was seen by fans and received pretty overwhelmingly negative feedback it was too late to change anything. The clear delay of the badge launch speaks for itself in showing how they've put themselves between a rock and a hard place.

It's a tough situation but it feels like they've rushed this rebrand and botched the initial essentials: which is both a massive shame and frustrating because the work they seem to be doing with Adidas and other agencies seems to be really, really promising.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Â