Future Club Crest & Brand Identity

fightoffyour

2 minutes ago, allani said:

I might be ploughing a lone farrow here but what I read between the lines is not that it less about frantic attempts to make the badge better and / or to get it approved by the FA (because that has already happened insofar as the FA have said that the correct process is being followed) but potentially more about lining it up to coincide with the Adidas deal and possibly even a new kit?  Ideally there would also be a new shirt sponsor to go with that - although I'd have hoped that there might have been a tiny hint towards that in the response to the question on gambling sponsorship.  I think one "launch" of all makes a lot of sense in terms of raising the profile of the event and triggering media / partner engagement and interest.  However, I can also see that if that happens then it could be claimed that it is all about burying the new badge in other news.

I think you hit the nail on the head with the last sentence. They know the badge doesnt have the desired impact. So they're going to release it when there is much better news to unveil along with it.

The issue they may face is we already know about the Adidas deal (if not the amount), and the badge is already revealed by the trademarks. Unless they can pull a rabbit out the hat (by stating the shirt deal is worth 40m, or unveiling a completely unseen badge that we all love, or a new shirt sponsor) I don't see them being able to generate quite the positive effect from that they may envisage.

The playing down of the shirt sponsor thing could well be a way for them to lower expectations and then surprise us though so fingers crossed I guess.

11 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

I think you hit the nail on the head with the last sentence. They know the badge doesnt have the desired impact. So they're going to release it when there is much better news to unveil along with it.

The issue they may face is we already know about the Adidas deal (if not the amount), and the badge is already revealed by the trademarks. Unless they can pull a rabbit out the hat (by stating the shirt deal is worth 40m, or unveiling a completely unseen badge that we all love, or a new shirt sponsor) I don't see them being able to generate quite the positive effect from that they may envisage.

The playing down of the shirt sponsor thing could well be a way for them to lower expectations and then surprise us though so fingers crossed I guess.

I suspect that just the involvement of Adidas's marketing team / presence will make the launch quite "sexy", exciting and positive.  A bit like when the F1 team unveil their new liveries.  It gathers media attention and interest.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, allani said:

I might be ploughing a lone farrow here but what I read between the lines is not that it less about frantic attempts to make the badge better and / or to get it approved by the FA (because that has already happened insofar as the FA have said that the correct process is being followed) but potentially more about lining it up to coincide with the Adidas deal and possibly even a new kit?  Ideally there would also be a new shirt sponsor to go with that - although I'd have hoped that there might have been a tiny hint towards that in the response to the question on gambling sponsorship.  I think one "launch" of all makes a lot of sense in terms of raising the profile of the event and triggering media / partner engagement and interest.  However, I can also see that if that happens then it could be claimed that it is all about burying the new badge in other news.

I agree that this is probably what the club will do, but that it absolutely wasn't their intention (as made clear through missing their initial release date). Villa going out and trademarking a different badge with minor adjustments definitely suggests that they've panicked about the overwhelmingly negative feedback for the trademarked badge. The Adidas/merchandising angle is interesting: it might explain why the new trademark is just a minor alteration (given that the merchandise/kits are likely long being produced at this stage). Also raises the question of how Villa and Adidas have approached this situation, you'd imagine having to make changes to the badge in January/February might affect timeframes, etc. 

Do agree that it's likely nothing to do with the FA by this point based on how Villa are acting. Given the concerns were raised over a lack of fan approval/involvement, you'd imagine that Villa would try to do something on that front, even if a bit of a sham, if they were genuinely worried that the FA would step in (and in turn end up making a lot of already manufactured merch for next season look very redundant).

How many months after "it will be unveiled in a couple of weeks" are we now ?

You'd think someone that experienced would know not to over promise.  Especially so in an area that he knows nothing about.

Surely we're at a stage where Adidas need our final badge to start preparing next year's shirts, if not already way past it?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, The Fun Factory said:

Wouldn't it be nice if the shirt, crest, and new sponsor were all announced by the end of the season, with shirts on sale by early summer?

As far as I remember that has never happened at Villa, it's always late.

Adidas will insist on it, I'm sure. We need this branding sorted asap. Just give the task to Adidas too.

17 hours ago, The Fun Factory said:

Wouldn't it be nice if the shirt, crest, and new sponsor were all announced by the end of the season, with shirts on sale by early summer?

As far as I remember that has never happened at Villa, it's always late.

I remember in the new 2001-2002 kit was worn in the last home game of 2000-2001 against Coventry! Was a bit of a surprise but horrific kit, one of our worst 

1 hour ago, Captain_Townsend said:

I remember in the new 2001-2002 kit was worn in the last home game of 2000-2001 against Coventry! Was a bit of a surprise but horrific kit, one of our worst 

It wasn't a good one that's for sure! And yet, still nicer than the current one! 😆😭

3 minutes ago, mrchnry said:

Was it the end of December they said this was imminent? 

Yeah, in that absolute car crash of an interview with the internal reporter! 

But he's really smart and an expert and mere mortals cannot discern the genius at work! 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Captain_Townsend said:

Yeah, in that absolute car crash of an interview with the internal reporter! 

But he's really smart and an expert and mere mortals cannot discern the genius at work! 

Do you think it’s Heck and the club or the FA final approval process which is delaying this ? Or is this  an excuse to bash Heck cause he cancelled your hallowed new north stand ? 

Edited by thabucks
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Shocked 1

19 minutes ago, thabucks said:

Do you think it’s Heck and the club or the FA final approval process which is delaying this ? Or is this  an excuse to bash Heck cause he cancelled your hallowed new north stand ? 

I’m going with it’s Heck’s fault to answer your question given his timeframe was a couple of months ago.

Edited by nick76

30 minutes ago, thabucks said:

Do you think it’s Heck and the club or the FA final approval process which is delaying this ? 

I think it's probably both - the club's difficulties in passing the FA's regulation are delaying the process and the club have decided to change their plans off the back of that. 

I think the first time we'll see it will probably be on the 24/25 shirt - to be honest that might have a good impact.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, thabucks said:

Bit harsh. Bit odd.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, thabucks said:

Hi Heck. Where's the badge? 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

I think it's probably both - the club's difficulties in passing the FA's regulation are delaying the process and the club have decided to change their plans off the back of that. 

I think the first time we'll see it will probably be on the 24/25 shirt - to be honest that might have a good impact.

Change plans as in scrap the badge and start over? I hope so, although I can’t imagine there’s time for that.

4 hours ago, MNVillan said:

Change plans as in scrap the badge and start over? I hope so, although I can’t imagine there’s time for that.

Change plans for the release date from January to later in the year.

Â