Future Club Crest & Brand Identity

fightoffyour

2 hours ago, R.Bear said:

One thing I've noticed is I never see Villa shirts for sale anywhere outside of Birmingham. Not in Sports Direct, other sports stores. I don't even see Villa knockoffs in the markets. This is where people might say "well its only the CL clubs you see in stores". Not true. I've seen West Ham, Newcastle kits all over.

Also, when I'm abroad, and I'm all over the place, I never see people wearing Villa shirts. The few times I have, it's been British Villa fans because I will always say UTV or whatever to someone if I see them. The point I'm making is our brand is non-existent. We have to improve this massively and this farce with the kits and the badge is torpedoing what attempts we've made, if any, of doing this.

Fanatics are an online retailer by design - the shop at Villa Park is a compromise.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Captain_Townsend said:

We have a big support outside Britain mate.

We do but that wasnt my point. I was saying that we need to be more visual everywhere. I hate using the word "brand" but this is modern football. We need one to maximise our potential.

45 minutes ago, AvonVillain said:

A universal truth: statements like "No one cares" tend to mean anecdotal "I personally don't care, and I recall my mate saying once he wasn't that fussed either".

Ok let me rephrase it. No-one should care about the 1874. Man Utd, Arsenal, Tottenham, Newcastle, West Ham, Chelsea do not have their founding year on their badges and all of them are nicer than ours. Liverpool do but that's no surprise and their badge is 25 years old.

14 minutes ago, R.Bear said:

Ok let me rephrase it. No-one should care about the 1874. Man Utd, Arsenal, Tottenham, Newcastle, West Ham, Chelsea do not have their founding year on their badges and all of them are nicer than ours. Liverpool do but that's no surprise and their badge is 25 years old.

My last comment as I'm happy to disagree and be disagreed with, but telling people what they should or shouldn't care about is plainly ridiculous. I care deeply about Aston Villa (as I've no doubt you do) and I couldn't care any less about what the teams you mentioned above do with their branding.

1 hour ago, AvonVillain said:

It isn't a race backwards. I absolutely do not understand how our founding year "doesn't mean anything of any importance", or how it could possibly be "just a year". Those statements aren't remotely true.

I personally love to see a timestamp, and I hesitate to use the term, of big brands like Guinness, for example, sat in the logo. For me it brings a weight of heritage that elevates the brand beyond a mere drink, or football club, in our case. Even if the brand is relatively new, I like to see its stake in history when it was born. I don't see this information as trivial or unnecessary in any way, and graphically it can really work as a part of the whole story on offer.

It can, but we've shoehorned it in in the most meagre, 4:45pm on a friday way possible. If we're going to do it like we have, what's the point?

Crests need to be scalable and don't have a lot of real estate. If something isn't worth putting on the badge in a prominent way that specifically works with the design, is it worth putting on the badge at all? The star has the same problem for me.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, AvonVillain said:

I care deeply about Aston Villa (as I've no doubt you do) and I couldn't care any less about what the teams you mentioned above do with their branding.

Well all of those teams brand their club better than we do so maybe you should care.

6 minutes ago, ThunderPower_14 said:

If something isn't worth putting on the badge in a prominent way that specifically works with the design, is it worth putting on the badge at all? The star has the same problem for me.

No doubt. The star shouldn't be there. It's cringey and small time. The stars above badges for international sides that have won the World Cup look great. It shouldn't be used for European Cup wins from club teams.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, ThunderPower_14 said:

It can, but we've shoehorned it in in the most meagre, 4:45pm on a friday way possible. If we're going to do it like we have, what's the point?

Crests need to be scalable and don't have a lot of real estate. If something isn't worth putting on the badge in a prominent way that specifically works with the design, is it worth putting on the badge at all? The star has the same problem for me.

Yeah my problem with the star isn't as much having it, as it is how awkwardly it's been shoehorned in.

3 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

Fanatics are an online retailer by design - the shop at Villa Park is a compromise.

The tragedy being that their online offering is an embarrassing **** shambles. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, May-Z said:

All of those teams have had a name change since their original formation (bar Chelsea who were set up much later in 1905) and every one has changed their original colours as well.

We started in claret and blue (well, scarlet and blue originally) and we've been called Aston Villa since the moment we were conceived. 

We are original, we have been influential for flipping ages, and we are important because of it.

With respect, only Villa fans care about that stuff. 99.9% of other fans wouldn't know or care that our name and colours have remained the same. This is a backwards, almost self important way of thinking.

This is modern football. We are a business like any other and need to run the club from the profitability and marketing to the badge and branding, like a business. Notts County are the oldest professional club in the world. Who, really, gives a shit about that today? The only reason anyone outside of the UK has heard of them is because Juventus copied their colours and kit.

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

13 minutes ago, R.Bear said:

With respect, only Villa fans care about that stuff. 99.9% of other fans wouldn't know or care that our name and colours have remained the same. This is a backwards, almost self important way of thinking.

This is modern football. We are a business like any other and need to run the club from the profitability and marketing to the badge and branding, like a business. Notts County are the oldest professional club in the world. Who, really, gives a shit about that today? The only reason anyone outside of the UK has heard of them is because Juventus copied their colours and kit.

I really don't think that including 1874 on the badge is going to decrease the opportunity to be profitable or affect marketing. 

You know Notts County are the oldest club, you are talking about them because of it, not because of their branding. It's a discussion point, there's no negative to that...and what's wrong with a club being proud of it? 

I also wouldn't say it's 'backwards' to be proud of being an historic football club...or being self-important about it. Who else is going to big us up or build our stature? Certainly not the media.

• Like 1

Genuine ennui setting in now. The 5-0 win made me realise I don't really care about the badge, I just want villa to win.

spacer.png

(Fyi Hungry hungry hippps also sucks these days. Definitely not made like it used to be)

1 hour ago, May-Z said:

I really don't think that including 1874 on the badge is going to decrease the opportunity to be profitable or affect marketing. 

You know Notts County are the oldest club, you are talking about them because of it, not because of their branding. It's a discussion point, there's no negative to that...and what's wrong with a club being proud of it? 

I also wouldn't say it's 'backwards' to be proud of being an historic football club...or being self-important about it. Who else is going to big us up or build our stature? Certainly not the media.

No but it's again adding a detail that won't carry over on to a modern badge and this whole avatar thing of shrinking it down 

And I agree with the original statement, it's something of significance to us already existing villa fans, what are we doing this whole brand identity and modernisation exercise for? It's not for us... 

The mention of West ham was interesting as they did something on their latest badge - added "London" - again, they didn't do that because they were targeting ST holders and die hard fans who posted on their forums 

A big part of this new badge is to attract new fans, I don't think 1874 on it does that, no one cares about it 

17 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

No but it's again adding a detail that won't carry over on to a modern badge and this whole avatar thing of shrinking it down 

And I agree with the original statement, it's something of significance to us already existing villa fans, what are we doing this whole brand identity and modernisation exercise for? It's not for us... 

The mention of West ham was interesting as they did something on their latest badge - added "London" - again, they didn't do that because they were targeting ST holders and die hard fans who posted on their forums 

A big part of this new badge is to attract new fans, I don't think 1874 on it does that, no one cares about it.

I'm pretty apathetic towards 1874 being included or not to be honest. It's not a hill I'd choose to die on.

But...I can see why it may be a selling point as part of our 'brand' over other teams.

Unless we went for a Juve style badge or a very specific shape like Forest/Spurs, I don't think a lot of stuff reduces well on digital media. It's only because we're so familiar with the PL teams that we recognise any them. Liverpool and Man United certainly don't reduce well.

So, if we've not going to be drastic with the shape, it doesn't really matter about the smaller details.

Â