Future Club Crest & Brand Identity

fightoffyour

1 hour ago, Captain_Townsend said:

That's why, by ditching the round, Heck set the bar very high for what he had to deliver as its replacement and what he seems to have delivered is dismal.

Correct.

Whether it was his intention or not, the impression given was "that round badge isn't good enough, we need somoething even better"

Even though I don't think how good the badge looked had anything to do with it in reality

• Like 2

Having just posted the arsenal kit in the kit thread, I noticed that their current shirt is a red badge on a red shirt. And it looks absolutely fine

FxChmjZWwAE2G_l?format=jpg&name=4096x409

For those worried about what a claret badge on a claret shirt would look like

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Having just posted the arsenal kit in the kit thread, I noticed that their current shirt is a red badge on a red shirt. And it looks absolutely fine

The gold makes all the difference 

• Like 1

I’m not a fan of the crest, for the many reasons that everyone has stated in here. 

However, I don’t think any other fan of any other club will give it a seconds thought. I don’t view West Ham any differently for their monstrosity of a crest, and I doubt many others do either. Unless you really bring yourself to think about it. 

I would love a great Villa crest, but only for us fans, not what others think. And the vast majority of other fans will be indifferent to it. 

I understand that branding is important, but I think we’re overplaying the severity of this. 

59 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

You have to remember that this example is normally covered in mud, from all the falling over

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Rich192 said:

I’m not a fan of the crest, for the many reasons that everyone has stated in here. 

However, I don’t think any other fan of any other club will give it a seconds thought. I don’t view West Ham any differently for their monstrosity of a crest, and I doubt many others do either. Unless you really bring yourself to think about it. 

I would love a great Villa crest, but only for us fans, not what others think. And the vast majority of other fans will be indifferent to it. 

I understand that branding is important, but I think we’re overplaying the severity of this. 

Well I'm not hugely bothered by the fact that Burnley are in the bottom three, but I guess their fans probably are. Fans of a team being more interested in their own club's going on shocker!

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Rich192 said:

So why change it from the round badge?  It’s the badge the Villa fans picked and even though it’s not the best quality, it’s still ours and now we have going a really good season it will be remembered with it.  Yes some Villa fans don’t like it but the majority do like it.

If it doesn’t matter to non-Villa fans then let us have our badge and not design a crap one for some corporate smuck in Outer Mongolia who we are trying to get to be our fan but couldn’t name one Villa player, couldn’t pin Villa Park on a map and who used to support Man Utd when they were good.  

After all it’s just a badge!  

Yes it’s our bloody badge, the fans badge!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, withes_shin said:

When did the badge become a crest?

What am I missing!

The UK language has become americanised. 

Nobody at school calls Secondary school that any more. It's high school.

12 minutes ago, nick76 said:

So why change it from the round badge?  It’s the badge the Villa fans picked and even though it’s not the best quality, it’s still ours and now we have going a really good season it will be remembered with it.  Yes some Villa fans don’t like it but the majority do like it.

If it doesn’t matter to non-Villa fans then let us have our badge and not design a crap one for some corporate smuck in Outer Mongolia who we are trying to get to be our fan but couldn’t name one Villa player, couldn’t pin Villa Park on a map and who used to support Man Utd when they were good.  

After all it’s just a badge!  

Yes it’s our bloody badge, the fans badge!

I agree. I’d rather keep the round badge, too. My point was more about people’s comments about how this badge will change our standing in the global game. My point is that it won’t, even though it’s an eyesore. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Rich192 said:

I agree. I’d rather keep the round badge, too. My point was more about people’s comments about how this badge will change our standing in the global game. My point is that it won’t, even though it’s an eyesore. 

You’re right, it won’t affect our standing (whatever that may be). Maybe I’m wrong but I’m not sure how big of a story/passing thought this really is outside of Villa.

It does though feel like a missed opportunity to significantly improve the badge or just kicking the can down the road to doing it later.

It’s going so well on the pitch, people are just frustrated that it’s appears a bit muddled off the pitch.

I’m mainly annoyed because I strongly believe given its similarity to the fairly unpopular Lerner badge, the new design will prove to be a short stop gap and we’ll be back here in 18 months discussing what we’d like to do with the badge. And I don’t want to do that, but I know I will.

Edited by Mark Albrighton

On 02/10/2023 at 11:18, allani said:

I don't think that you need every component of the brand to appear on the badge in order for it to be part of the brand.  I quite like "Prepared" but I also like "Part of the Pride".  I'd be very happy to have one of those and include it within our branding (for example as a design feature within the shirt rather than included in the badge - i.e. on the hem around the bottom of the sleeve or the neck or at the bottom of the shirt).  Another component that you can use in isolation around the ground, on SM, clothing, etc - that all ties stuff back to Villa without having to use our name, badge, etc all the time.

I think getting rid of "Prepared" motto was unfortunate. The thing that's interesting is that Emery often talks about the Villa "family" with great warmth, and heraldic mottos definitely connect to the idea of a powerful family. I would love to see a modern updated take on our original heraldic motto -- FORWARD.

2 hours ago, Hank Scorpio said:

So you're telling me the school years are no longer - infant school, junior school, big school?

I need to get with it more, whatever it is.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, withes_shin said:

When did the badge become a crest?

What am I missing!

1 hour ago, Hank Scorpio said:

The UK language has become americanised. 

What are you guys on about, we've been calling them crests for decades :D 

This is still so funny to me. I can't believe this is real. The drop shadow, the double outline of the shield, the swapping of the lion and name. The 1874 being white for some reason. Like why does the shield need piping  :crylaugh:

GC72JKwWwAAuyGk.png

• Haha 1

Â