Future Club Crest & Brand Identity

fightoffyour

1 hour ago, OutByEaster? said:

i think maybe we're at crossed purposes - i was asking the question who was it that decided we wanted something cool, innovative and edgy?

Designers need rules, a brief - fans are as good a place as any for those things - they also need the freedom to design within that brief - but cool, innovative and edgy are words that in my opinion will get you an abomination of a badge.

If I recall the wording from Heck's summary of the responses to the survey what stood out was "traditional".  So I'd be surprised if we go for something cool, "modern" and edgy.  I think what we will get is more innovation around how to use components of the brand in the badge, kit and other formats - something that I know you and I have discussed at length 🙂 several times in the past.  I think we'll end up with a "fresh" design but I think it will definitely have several nods to our history / tradition.

It sounds like the designers have been given a good "brief" that will allow them room to explore some interesting ideas but a general direction to follow.  Which I think is great.  Now it's over to them to nail it.  Fingers crossed. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Captain_Townsend said:

Top left, beautiful

Lovely but flawed as you'd have to change the date every year. Can't be doing that on every piece of branding around VP...if the 1874 could be incorporated without the current date I thin it would be more practical

I like mid left as a modern clean design too, and I like the bottom right but not sure about how they've put the 1874 and we're back to the lion looking a bit like he's swatting a fly

1 hour ago, Jas10 said:

I love all of these except top left and centre. They have real class and look a cut above the sleek modern designs in the style of Manchester City, Brentford, West Ham and Everton, or the two designs from last year's vote. They ooze our tradition and heritage without looking dated.

1 hour ago, Jas10 said:

Somewhere between 4 & 6 could look lovely. None of them quite right as they are. Too many look like a West Ham badge

He's done another one in the replies that is somewhere between 4 & 6 but still not quite right. Has a good idea going there though, just needs a Pro to make it a viable badge as execution is just off

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jas10 said:

Bottom centre for me. I don't mind what the badge looks like around the ground, on sky sports and FIFA. Just give me that lion on the shirt, without the star and 1874 underneath next season. 

9 minutes ago, villaglint said:

Tbh I was filling in the survey and I realised I really don’t give a …. about the badge. It’s like choosing cushions. Who cares. Hope everyone who does care gets something they want. 

I'm in a similar state of mind. I can't help but think that asking the supporters for a badge they like is akin to asking Homer to design a car.

The badge is something to rally behind, not something that needs to please every fan.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, HalfTimePost said:

Somewhere between 4 & 6 could look lovely. None of them quite right as they are. Too many look like a West Ham badge

He's done another one in the replies that is somewhere between 4 & 6 but still not quite right. Has a good idea going there though, just needs a Pro to make it a viable badge as execution is just off

He adjusted the design, something like this I could get behind, still needs some work but as a concept I could get behind it.

- Remove 1874

- Lion in the same Gold tone as the text

- Bit more of a professional tweak to the spacing of the different elements

spacer.png

• Like 1

From a manufacturing point of view, I'm not sure the badge with the star above works - it's a two piece object - you'd need to find a way to either have the badge sewn onto a shirt and then the star sewn on separately, or put both on a larger patch, so that you've got a shield shaped patch with a star and shield on it - it'd be awkward.

Timescales will be interesting - kits for next season can't be more than a month or so away from being finalised in terms of design so the design teams that are doing this badge are probably already working - I wonder if we'll see it as soon as it's finalised or whether they'll hold onto it until the end of the season for a big reveal.

7 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

From a manufacturing point of view, I'm not sure the badge with the star above works - it's a two piece object - you'd need to find a way to either have the badge sewn onto a shirt and then the star sewn on separately, or put both on a larger patch, so that you've got a shield shaped patch with a star and shield on it - it'd be awkward.

Timescales will be interesting - kits for next season can't be more than a month or so away from being finalised in terms of design so the design teams that are doing this badge are probably already working - I wonder if we'll see it as soon as it's finalised or whether they'll hold onto it until the end of the season for a big reveal.

True! But that's how most clubs with stars do it, so must be a fairly robust process for it, but sure it adds cost in.

Inter manage if every year and Bayern have 5. To be honest I'm happy to bin the star off entirely until we're actually in the Champions League again. But if they want it in there you'd think it would be technically possible 

8 hours ago, HalfTimePost said:

He adjusted the design, something like this I could get behind, still needs some work but as a concept I could get behind it.

- Remove 1874

- Lion in the same Gold tone as the text

- Bit more of a professional tweak to the spacing of the different elements

spacer.png

Love this one

Although not a big fan of the font

When the star was initially mooted (back in 2007, pre Lerner badge) the feeling was we'd be going circular again. And the star would sit atop, like Celtic and a few others. 

I'd still be happy to see that on our traditional round badge, say if we did a third all-white European away strip. And kept it for a few years. 

But included within the badge itself - whatever the shape - it looks like the lion is swatting summat away. 

Weren't we told by the Premier League that the star can't sit outside the badge? Some stupid rule?

Putting it above the shield, but also being part of the badge to circumvent their weird rule just makes it look wrong, so I think that's why it had to be inside.

On @OutByEaster? question about the reveal....I'm really not sure. Would we want yet another badge floating around for this season? The would give us 4 basically. I think they'd prefer to reveal at the end of the year.

But leaks happen so do you let the leaks happen, knowing that people will know what it is and undermine the big reveal?

47 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

Weren't we told by the Premier League that the star can't sit outside the badge? Some stupid rule?

Putting it above the shield, but also being part of the badge to circumvent their weird rule just makes it look wrong, so I think that's why it had to be inside.

On @OutByEaster? question about the reveal....I'm really not sure. Would we want yet another badge floating around for this season? The would give us 4 basically. I think they'd prefer to reveal at the end of the year.

But leaks happen so do you let the leaks happen, knowing that people will know what it is and undermine the big reveal?

Forest have theirs above their badge, so we must be allowed to as well?

image.thumb.png.861feda7c7e3d42e41087334d1977a31.png

Â