Future Club Crest & Brand Identity

fightoffyour

8 minutes ago, Shay said:

i think this design would be perfect. both the lamp shield and round badge part of the crest with the lion facing the right way! And i agree with everyone that said we should have more claret and less blue as part of our official colours. 

E91ECB33-FE1D-4873-A8B9-8549155BC8EF.jpeg

The badge in a circle looks as messy as when we used to have a badge in a badge back in the 90s/00s. I think Man City's looks so sloppy for this reason. The badge alone is enough.

1 hour ago, Shay said:

i think this design would be perfect. both the lamp shield and round badge part of the crest with the lion facing the right way! And i agree with everyone that said we should have more claret and less blue as part of our official colours. 

Not bad. I still prefer the new badge though.

2 hours ago, Shay said:

I like this. Maybe two colours is the way to go.

I don’t quite love it, but I feel something in this vein would be very good. Something about the inner circle and shield meeting I’m not quite sure of but am not sure how you could have them any other way.

The lion looks good and while I’m not a fan of having the star, I think it looks ok there.

9 hours ago, CarryOnVilla said:

It’s not just a trend, in most cases it’s a necessity to have a scalable logo. Particularly to be viewed on small spaces like phone screens or viewed at distance. More detailed a logo is, more messy it looks small, but the common solution is to have a flat silhouette version, but that has issues too, the smaller it gets, the more basic of shape it becomes. So, this lion is far too simple in silhouette… and becomes a rampant blob, when scaled down. could be a lion, could be a bear, or griffin. A blob in the way of the 80s badge lion looks, where it’s hard to tell it’s a lion 😂

the new one has a scalable silhouette, because it retains enough detail to say lion at every size. It’s a well thought out lion, in the sense of practicality.

FotoJet__41_.jpg

However it’s just using cut outs to creat the detail, and the current/old badge could have that tweak. 

As my favourite lion, the current/old one probably is my favourite, but there’s a lot of familiarity in that decision.

but as a advertiser/graphic designer by trade, I’d love to play with some of the old lions and see what could look good with contemporary design ethos attached. In particular, this one.

Aston-Villa-Logo-1880.png
used real early in the clubs history and the flipped (correct) version used in the 60s/70s

Seeing them side by side makes me rue the fact that we snubbed the gaslight badge even more.

• Like 1

On 02/07/2023 at 00:41, Jas10 said:

Previous lion is way better, much more classy and prominent.

All we really need?

spacer.png

Ive been banging this drum for a while. Don’t need a shield, boring round crap, etc.

Cool lion. At a stretch, put “Aston Villa”. Boom. That’s it. Never needs to be changed from that. Works on kits, works on branding, works on social media. Stop pissing around. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Spoony said:

Ive been banging this drum for a while. Don’t need a shield, boring round crap, etc.

Cool lion. At a stretch, put “Aston Villa”. Boom. That’s it. Never needs to be changed from that. Works on kits, works on branding, works on social media. Stop pissing around. 

One of the weird things about the new lion that I don’t like is… he’s a bit flat on top, maybe balding 🤣

The mane is much more prominent and the accents are better on the “classic” lion. It looks more “powerful” or imposing in general.

It’s just way more classy and iconic imo. It’s the Villa logo, the Villa brand etc. etc.

It’s the Villa lion, instantly recognisable and not confused with anything else.

AND IT’S FACING THE RIGHT WAY 🤣

Own it.

13 minutes ago, Spoony said:

I mean, if you put that lion (on it’s own it will be larger and more bold) against all the (mostly generic) PL badges… I think it’s really going to stand out.

No other team has a lion that looks even half as good, let’s own it. Chelsea have a weird lizard, serpent type one - body facing one way, head the other, weird tongue - it’s shit.

No need to have much more, it makes a statement on its own. You look at it and instantly know, that’s Aston Villa Football Club and we mean business… 😆

No messing. Nuff said.

Edited by Jas10

9 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

This is a nice lion but it won't scale down well mate.

Agreed, just put it there as an alternative. I prefer the old one mate. Less hassle and work involved in alterations too.

E.g. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

My only real issue with the old badge, was the yellow on blue. Especially when viewed from a distance or on smaller images.

Always loved the lion. Hated the one before it, this was a vast improvement.

To me, it’s so iconic and classy.

We still have those old ones, in silver,  in the stadium… just imagine if it were this lion instead and how much better they would look.

spacer.png

It’s a bit of a mess really 🤣 we have all sorts of mixed up signage everywhere and multiple badges or designs 🤣

Sort it out! Once and for all! 🤣

Edited by Jas10
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Teale's 'tache said:

Okay, I've gone back to my diamond design and refined it a little more.

I've added the new lion, and made a few alterations to it to make it more 'rampant', and set it facing in the traditional direction. I don't mind the whole facing forward concept stuff, but to me personally, the lion facing left is just more 'Villa'.

I've also removed the star, for the reasons @NurembergVillan has mentioned frequently, and eloquently.

I've streamlined further by removing '1874', as it wasn't really needed and would have been unreadable at smaller sizes anyway.

Anyway, on with the show...

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

One more, just to show that this design at least is different from the rest of the crests in the Premier League

spacer.png

Feel free to tell me I've got the colours wrong, you only like round badges, it doesn't say 'Aston Villa' in full, not adding a star somehow means I've degraded our entire history, it looks like a stonemasons symbol and it's crap.

I'll not be listening anyway as I really need to get some work done!

Love it. 

And we're free to drop the AV whenever we want and just use the lion.

Looks so good on the kit and alongside the other PL badges.

• Like 1

First time in this thread, not my thing really. A lot of old badges have appeared there. Not really worth clearing up as its not really that interesting, but for clarity, the 1956 version was basically our badge from the start if the football league in 1888 until the late 1960s boardroom revolution. It was on the clubs letterheads, in the programmes, and of course the old Trinity Road Stand. Its wasn’t until 1956 that we had, as a standard, the badge on the shirts.

Anyway, nobody remember the very short lived 98 badge used in some club literature, so its not the first time this has happened:

1998-99.jpg

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Unused Sub said:

First time in this thread, not my thing really. A lot of old badges have appeared there. Not really worth clearing up as its not really that interesting, but for clarity, the 1956 version was basically our badge from the start if the football league in 1888 until the late 1960s boardroom revolution. It was on the clubs letterheads, in the programmes, and of course the old Trinity Road Stand. Its wasn’t until 1956 that we had, as a standard, the badge on the shirts.

Anyway, nobody remember the very short lived 98 badge used in some club literature, so its not the first time this has happened:

1998-99.jpg

Maybe I am missing something but wasn't that not our standard 1992-1999 badge?

15 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

This is a nice lion but it won't scale down well mate.

This is said a lot but to be fair nothing really scales down to Twitter/instagram icon size, which is what I imagine most people are thinking about when they say this. I’d much rather have something slightly more complex and accept that it doesn’t scale down well to tiny tiny scales. Feels like a lot of badges have been badly compromised in recent times so they look good at small scales to the detriment of the overall badge: see the new Everton badge that was abandoned. I’d rather have the best badge possible and then accept that a simplified version may need to be used for tiny scales. Heck used multiple badge versions for the 76ers so maybe this is something they will consider.

26 minutes ago, Captain_Townsend said:

Maybe I am missing something but wasn't that not our standard 1992-1999 badge?

No, they changed the lion in some literature and in the programme.  It looked more serpent-like.  Then the scroll-less shield appeared with yet another lion in the summer of 1999.

3 hours ago, Teale's 'tache said:

Okay, I've gone back to my diamond design and refined it a little more.

I've added the new lion, and made a few alterations to it to make it more 'rampant', and set it facing in the traditional direction. I don't mind the whole facing forward concept stuff, but to me personally, the lion facing left is just more 'Villa'.

I've also removed the star, for the reasons @NurembergVillan has mentioned frequently, and eloquently.

I've streamlined further by removing '1874', as it wasn't really needed and would have been unreadable at smaller sizes anyway.

Anyway, on with the show...

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

One more, just to show that this design at least is different from the rest of the crests in the Premier League

spacer.png

Feel free to tell me I've got the colours wrong, you only like round badges, it doesn't say 'Aston Villa' in full, not adding a star somehow means I've degraded our entire history, it looks like a stonemasons symbol and it's crap.

I'll not be listening anyway as I really need to get some work done!

Look at how the gold lion pops on the C&B kit. Really hope we get a new badge similar to this. So good.

• Like 1

Â