F: Valencia a: Sat Aug 5 20:00

Not great.

Kamara our best player.

Pau and Bailey both pretty poor.

Lots of sloppy passes, we seem to want too much time on the ball.

Great finish by Ollie, but they are the posing the greater threat, in every sense.

Dirty bastards.

Edited by Lerner's Driver
  • Like 3

Interesting that we have mostly stuck with a 4222 or 424 build up. Training for Newcastle I think.

Diaby shifted to the left and Bailey on the right after the water break. Bailey can’t stop the urge to come inside when he was on the left but it’s on his weaker foot. 

Kamara’s positioning is so good. Although a little lackadaisical on the ball a couple of times. 

Torres is no lb.

Martnez looked a little rusty, came for a cross once and got nowhere near it.

Ollie took his goal well.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

thats the prob with watkins, does many good things, but technically he is like an elephant.

An unusually techincally-gifted elephant. Has he not improved technically? I mean when  we consider his amazing goalscoring run last season with accurate shots... then the one v Lazio... and then tonight's was a perfectly accurate shot rifled right into the bottom corner. And I think his little touches to make space for a shot are often very good too.

If this was a European conference game we would be happy with the way we're playing in an away fixture. We're frustrating the opposition and have a comfortable 1-0 lead against a team who are losing their discipline. This is practice for the season ahead.

• Like 2

Villa TV vision has had me check my beer strength a few times.

We need to up the tempo, we are playing their game. Haven’t really seen the slick interplay in their half we have shown earlier in preseason. Diaby not looking as dangerous on the LHS? Bailey looks a bit rusty still. Maybe swap the balance and impetus with Digne on for Cash and Buendia or more likely Tielemans on for Bailey?

Watkins scored with a confident finish which is great to see. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Â