Black Mirror, season six

Follyfoot

I thought this is worth a thread on its own due to the brilliance and randomness of all the black mirrors that have preceded it.

So many brilliant episodes in the past, and one hopes that they keep up the high level with this series.

Maybe a chance to reminisce about previous favourite episodes,

Metalhead is the one that sticks out for me.

Your thoughts please 

• Like 2

Love this series. Hope the new episodes will be as good as the old ones.

So many good ones from previous seasons, can’t remember which one I liked best though.

Might rewatch a few before the new season airs.

Really like the series. Hopeful that having had a bit of a break, Charlie will come back with a few belters.

To be honest even the supposedly bad/weaker episodes I’ve found something to like about them. Don’t recall ever being bored.

My standouts from the Channel 4 run -

The National Anthem; The Complete History of You; Be Right Back; White Bear; White Christmas 

From the Netflix run - 

Shut Up and Dance; San Junipero; Hated in the Nation; Hang the DJ

The ratio there suggests I prefer the original run. I’m not sure that’s totally the case, basically I think there’s quite a lot of episodes from the Netflix run that are kinda level with each other and would be difficult to put just one in the top tier batch without more going in (Playtest, Men Against Fire, Crocodile, Metal Head, Striking Vipers being among the ones that are on the next tier down).

Having looked back at the episode titles to put that best of together, the only episode I’m struggling to recall in reasonable detail is Arkangel. Reading the synopsis again it rings a bell but I can’t recall any specific scenes like I can with basically every other episode.

Edited by Mark Albrighton

been watching them in the last couple weeks. they're very re-watchable. i started typing my favourites but there's just so many i'd probably list the entire lot...san junipero probably my favourite though

excited about the new ones but the previous ones are going to be very difficult to top

The ending of Shut up and Dance was filmed in Didcot just down the road from me (Whittenham Clumps).  I've walked through that little gated circle of trees where the final showdown took place many a time.

Brooker is from just up the road in Brightwell cum Sotwell which is where Alexander De Pfeffel Boris Johnson has just moved to.

13 hours ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Having looked back at the episode titles to put that best of together, the only episode I’m struggling to recall in reasonable detail is Arkangel. Reading the synopsis again it rings a bell but I can’t recall any specific scenes like I can with basically every other episode.

Probably the most bleak one of the lot.

Ah no I was mixing it up with Crocodile.

Arkangel was kinda meh

Edited by StefanAVFC
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Wainy316 said:

The ending of Shut up and Dance was filmed in Didcot just down the road from me (Whittenham Clumps).  I've walked through that little gated circle of trees where the final showdown took place many a time.

Brooker is from just up the road in Brightwell cum Sotwell which is where Alexander De Pfeffel Boris Johnson has just moved to.

The Prime Minister/Pig episode was largely filmed on my old university campus at Newlands Park (Bucks) just before the demolished it. It was so odd seeing the place I’d not been to in years. 

I've always enjoyed Black Mirror, I started watching the first episode without having a clue what it was about, next thing I know I'm watching the prime minister wank off a pig, brilliant stuff.

Like everyone else has said it is difficult to nail down just a few favourite episodes because there is always another one that pops into your head.

Joan is Awful was decent and was very much true Black Mirror style.

Loch Henry was ok but I agree not to the usual style. The ending was pretty obvious for me as someone who doesn't usually see things too clearly. 

Mazey Day was a mess of writing and acting, easily the worst Black Mirror I have seen by some distance. Not sure what they were thinking. 

22 hours ago, VillaAlex said:

Mazey Day was a mess of writing and acting, easily the worst Black Mirror I have seen by some distance. Not sure what they were thinking. 

It was like some student amateur horror film. Someone needs to be fired for that one 

7 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

Though this season of Black Mirror was pretty poor considering its usual high standards. Joan is Awful being the best of the bunch imo.

i think it was just different. ok mazey day was poor but the others were largely fine...i really enjoyed demon 79 once you just decide to forget that it's black mirror you're watching - it might even have been my favourite of the new series

there's only so many distopian/futuristic technologies/scenarios one can invent and to be honest after a while they become a bit too far fetched.

beyond the sea for example was much more black mirror and that was my 2nd to least favourite. at least other episodes of other series kinda have you sat there thinking "yeah if this happened in real life this is exactly how things would go down" (the national anthem for example) but beyond the sea i just found a bit weird

Â