Fixtures 23/24

Demitri_C

Happy that we have a home game against Sheffield United on 23rd December, followed by an away game on boxing day. I usually have to miss that fixture as im down south with family, this way i can go to the game on 23rd and then go to my family. West Ham at home, 2 days before my birthday, hopefully we win that one as i live in a west ham area in london now and it will be good to beat them at VP, we have struggled to do that in recent seasons, even though we seem to have overcome our bad luck against better teams who we historically struggled with.

Dosen't seem to be a nightmare run anywhere, but with Emery, we will often have a good chance against the "top" teams anyway. I'm still miffed that we dont seem to ever get a home game as our first of the season! Thats pretty crazy how many times this has happened

Six teams, 30% of the league, are away on all 3 of game 1, game 19 & game 38.

Villa, Forest, West Ham, Fulham, Spurs & Wolves. That just smacks of poor planning to me unless there were a hell of a lot of mitigating factors.

Fixture difficulty by month based on last season's finishing positions.

Most difficult month first

# MONTH AVE GAMES
1 May 7.33 3
2 April 7.80 5
3 September 8.50 4
4 December 9.57 7
5 January 10.50 2
6 November 11.33 3
7 February 12.00 4
8 August 13.00 3
9 March 13.75 4
10 October 15.67 3

• Thanks 3

14 minutes ago, BOF said:

Six teams, 30% of the league, are away on all 3 of game 1, game 19 & game 38.

Villa, Forest, West Ham, Fulham, Spurs & Wolves. That just smacks of poor planning to me unless there were a hell of a lot of mitigating factors.

I'm guessing the disgruntlement is for attending games on those days, rather than anything else?

It just happens.  In 2020/21 we had all three games at home.  Last season we had 2 of them at home.  I'm guessing it's fairly rotational?

FWIW, I think that's a fairly decent fixture list for us.  Newcastle away first game is about as hard as it gets (good home support on first day, rather than more average home support elsewhere), but 3 of the assumed tougher away trips in the league ticked off in the first 6 games where the squad will be (likely) at it's freshest.

Feb and March look really good if we're in the hunt for something, too.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, UpTheVilla26 said:

We will win that. 

Nice easy October & November as well, besides Wolves Champions League, World Cup, FA Cup, Ryder Cup, Wimbledon, Moon Landing home game against us. 

I want to understand this comment

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

no real spells of tough games - it's a decent fixture list. arsenal and city back to back but both at home is as tough as it gets.

It is a decent fixture list. Those 2 games back to back are tough ones, however, if we want to reach the top 4 this season then we need to also be up to these tough challenges.

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

But then why are we away final game of season? We should be at home like last season

Probably because the draw is made first...then the alterations made individually. Ie we could have originally drawn to play Newcastle at home in the first draft.

Here is a visual representation of the start of our season from an all-competitions point of view.  Really gives a sense of the huge extra load on the squad this season and you can see why we'll need to strengthen significantly.

We join the league cup at the 3rd round stage (another benefit of making Europe). The table below assumes we make it to the 4th round, in which case only 11 of our first 19 games this season are in the Premier League.

37314daf5b979ced9c355c603897bad2.png

• Like 1
  • Shocked 1

Apparently we requested first game to be away from home due to the rebranding of the stadium and having concerts through the summer, so to give us more time. Also why the Lazio friendly is at Walsall and not VP.