Fixtures 23/24

Demitri_C

25 minutes ago, John said:

Those first 4 away fixtures are a real test. Away again first up and they will be looking for some revenge. 

Not fussed with early hard fixtures...get em out of the way

• Like 1

Of the top teams to play away first, I'd rather it was Newcastle than any of the others. 

Their players simply aren't as good as the rest of the top 4, and I back Emery to have us at least as well drilled as Howe, but more importantly to be able to adapt mid game better than Howe.

Obviously there's a full transfer window to go, but arguably the more change Newcastle go through, the harder it will be for Howe to get them working effectively. 

Doesn't mean we'll win, but I'm optimistic that the first game is a better time to play then than any other time of the season, after Howe has got any new signings integrated and fully up to speed.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, MrBlack said:

Of the top teams to play away first, I'd rather it was Newcastle than any of the others. 

Their players simply aren't as good as the rest of the top 4, and I back Emery to have us at least as well drilled as Howe, but more importantly to be able to adapt mid game better than Howe.

Obviously there's a full transfer window to go, but arguably the more change Newcastle go through, the harder it will be for Howe to get them working effectively. 

Doesn't mean we'll win, but I'm optimistic that the first game is a better time to play then than any other time of the season, after Howe has got any new signings integrated and fully up to speed.

I kinda agree. We could have started with an easier opponent on paper but play them before they find any rhythm/form. 

35 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Do we play Burnley and then Liverpool 2 days after each of our ECL playoff games? Surely that's not right you get 3 days between games

They've not moved them to the Sunday yet.

5 hours ago, jayEm said:

Why do we have more fixtures in December than January and February combined? What am I missing?

Fa cup in January, plus its a good idea to finish top of the ECL group to avoid 2 play off games against a side dropping from the EL in February

43 minutes ago, GlobalVillan said:

I wouldn't say "never"....

And who knows how the season may "kick off".:)

download (7).jpeg

I have fond memories of that day. I was at a Geordie wedding, bedecked in a Villa tie. 

The father of the bride particularly gave me a load of stick pre-match but was extremely grumpy post match, which nicely coincided when everyone entered the dinner area and had to shake hands with the wedding party 🤣

Edited by theboyangel

9 hours ago, tomav84 said:

games that will be moved if we get to group stage of UECL:

palace home, wolves away, luton home, fulham home, bournemouth away, brentford away

Those are all winnable fixtures but shows the complication of europa especially if say we have an away game somewhere in Turkey or Bulgaria the Thursday before a high intensity match at Wolves or Brentford.

If we qualify we really need to be in a strong position after first 3 games (7-9 points) so we can afford to then mix and match the team more and rest key players.

5 hours ago, CVByrne said:

Ah ok cheers. All Thursday European games means we play Sunday 

I think we'll see a couple of those moved to Monday night. Arsenal certainly played at least once on a Monday when they were in europa under UE. Pretty sure years back under MON we played Newcastle away on a Monday and then had europa on the Thursday.

4 hours ago, Pinebro said:

We never win at St James Park do we

We've won twice at Old Trafford since our last win up there!

Bizarre when you think in same timeframe how good our record has been at Sunderland and Boro and Newcastle have had loads of average teams in that period aswell.

But then they've had that grudge v us for those banners we unfurled so imagine that message gets across to the players in the build up.