Saudi Pro League

tomav84

Mendy (Chelsea gk) allegedly close to going to Saudi.

This whole thing is corrupt.

Chelsea need the book throwing at them, so do manu other clubs also tbh.

The game is f*****.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Keyblade said:

That's just the current guise of their league (like the PL), league football existed before then too. 

Even if it was 1976, what's the cutoff point for the football to be considered historical? Seems arbitrary. PSG was founded around that time and they're a big club with history, even before the Qatari owners.

Even that is almost 50 years, there's 2 or 3 generations there. The people there are absolutely football mad. It's the national sport etc.

The Saudi national team is among the best performing teams in Asia on the world stage, at least in my lifetime. They have the second most AFC Cups in history and a Saudi club is the most successful club in AFC Champions League history.

They have no less right than anyone to be able to enjoy high level football imo 

1. There's no cut-off - I'm saying the UK has a longer history of football than Saudi Arabia.

2. Two or three generations is great, but again it's not the same.

3. Lots of countries are football mad.

I'm not talking about the rights of the Saudi people to enjoy elite level football.  The original tweet was referencing how the Premier League "hoovered up all the big players in Europe, splashing cash", and my point is that if any league is going to do that in the modern age where money has taken over everything, I'd prefer that it was one with historical stadiums and a rich history on the world footballing stage. UK, Spain, Italy, Germany, Brazil, Argentina, etc - take your pick. Fwiw I live in none of those countries. 

Personally I think the tweet is overblown anyway - I don't think the Saudi league will be in a position to compete with the Premier League for a long time.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

The game is f*****.

Problem is they already own the book, the library, the publishing rights and the printers. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

16 hours ago, MaVilla said:

The game is f*****.

But if the Premier League lures a top player from Africa with money they could never dream of earning back home that’s all fine. If Saudi Arabia then lures him to the Middle East suddenly it’s outrageous?

1 minute ago, LondonLax said:

But if the Premier League lures a top player from Africa with money they could never dream of earning back home that’s all fine. If Saudi Arabia then lures him to the Middle East suddenly it’s outrageous?

the problem isnt money changing hands, this isnt a we can/they cant thing.

The problem is you have UEFA clubs beholden to FFP, going out and going nuts spending money and putting themselves in a risky financial situation in relation to FFP, but its no problem because the same people who have a link in to these clubs, also have links in to foreign clubs who do not adhere to FFP and have a whole states finances backing them, being able to artificially move players around for inflated fees to benefit the FFP adherent club in terms of FFP, but the other foreign one could literally spend trillions buying players and it wouldnt matter in any shape or form.

what is going on literally breaks the whole system.

Granted FFP is/was a joke regardless, but this is also a joke and threatens to undermine the entire game.

Imagine if Sawaris was the head of a nation, owned ZED FC (who arent required to follow FFP), then decided to finance ZED FC to buy Keinan Davis for 25m, Nakamba for 25m, Sanson for 50m, Hause for 15m, Dendoncker for 40m, then goes back to Villa and says "they you go fella's, keep spending, if you need another 100m just let me know and i will instruct ZED FC to buy some more of your fringe players for stupidly inflated prices.....also my cub in Egypt isnt restricted by FFP, so if you need a billion over 3 years, i can make that happen to".

I get your initial point to a degree, but if you cant see why this scenario is an issue for the wider game, i dont know what to say to you.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, LondonLax said:

The problem there is the belief that he comes to the PL for money and nothing other than money

• Like 1

7 hours ago, villa4europe said:

The problem there is the belief that he comes to the PL for money and nothing other than money

Plenty of players move to the Premier League just for money. South American players also move away from their home town clubs and families to make money in the PL. If they could get the same money back home I have no doubt most would stay.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LondonLax said:

Plenty of players move to the Premier League just for money. South American players also move away from their home town clubs and families to make money in the PL. If they could get the same money back home I have no doubt most would stay.

Alexis MacAllister and Caicedo were huge Brighton fans growing up

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Zatman said:

Alexis MacAllister and Caicedo were huge Brighton fans growing up

That's a bad example because you can argue that they're exactly why players move to the PL...

Both have seen that the PL is a huge market watched by a lot of people and as such not only does it help elevate them to the national team it helps get them moves to the biggest clubs in the world

The level of exposure in the PL is greater than anywhere else even if it's through playing for a "lower" team

11 hours ago, mikeyp102 said:

Looks like it’s not just players, Allegri has supposedly been offered a huge contract to manage out there. Big Sam must be on the phone to his agent 

Saw the other day one of the clubs were trying to get David Moyes, now he's a European cup winning manager 😆

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, gwi1890 said:

Champions League is an European competition

Champions League is a Money competition. The group phase is just about generating income and what better way than a few away trips to Riyadh. 

Â