Saudi Pro League

tomav84

1 minute ago, Zatman said:

Matt Doherty now in talks with a Saudi team, unsurprisingly another Mendes client

Mendes using them to make a fortune, Chelsea using it to get rid of deadwood and inflate FFP.

On 18/06/2023 at 21:06, WallisFrizz said:

I’d like to think the PL can get its act together within the next 12 months and  close any loopholes around this. 

Chelsea, Newcastle, City (City Group), United (once Qatari owned) will all vote against rules that block it.

Believe they'd need to swing two more clubs to keep the rules they wanted.

Interesting to see how we would fall post-Purslow. I'm sure he was the mouthpiece of NSWE in his time arguing alongside Brighton for common sense and being on the 'right' side of history over the last few years (covid, ESL etc)

..but depending on the rules they try to implement it could impact V Sports' future plans and we could fall on the side of voting against rule changes

1 hour ago, VillaJ100 said:

It won't be in our lifetimes but one day we'll stop using oil, these cretins being used to unlimited money and no such thing as a bad investment will eventually lose it all. 

They know that, which is why PIF exists, to buy up influence, power and cultural cornerstones. Allowing them to get our own citizens to be on the side of the Saudis to prolong their Oil monopoly for decades to come.

And if it does come falling down, own major infrastructure that can't (or won't) be simply taken away, securing their power for the 'post-oil' world.

8 hours ago, villa4europe said:

I dunno, it's so subjective

We can say mendy is merely OK and that he's worth let's say £30m but they sell him for £50m and we cry foul... He was voted the best goalkeeper in world football 2 years ago and he's better than the £80m keeper Chelsea have already skewed the market with

I'm theory he has to be worth less than Onana

If man City signed neves for £50m we'd all probably agree it's a bit rich but there wouldn't be the calls of it being outrageous and a crime against football

The outrageous thing will be how and when these guys come back to European football

Neves is also Wolves' best player. Why would they sell him for £20m? They bought him for 16 when they were in the Championship. They'd have sold him for 50m to any club willing to pay it, as that's their valuation. People are losing their minds because the already broken football hegemony is being upset by another big player. The real outrage should be how teams like Chelsea are using this money to circumvent FFP (if true), not that the big bad Saudis are buying good players for their league.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Keyblade said:

Neves is also Wolves' best player. Why would they sell him for £20m? They bought him for 16 when they were in the Championship. They'd have sold him for 50m to any club willing to pay it, as that's their valuation. People are losing their minds because the already broken football hegemony is being upset by another big player. The real outrage should be how teams like Chelsea are using this money to circumvent FFP (if true), not that the big bad Saudis are buying good players for their league.

Sort of how I see it. I am enjoying some of the squirming from Premier League etc.

Premier League financial power has pretty much ruined leagues like Netherlands, Portugal and Framce to be feeder leagues. Man City buying 20 clubs and hoovering up elite youth talents worldwide is worse for the game than a bunch of Dads Army players chasing a last payday

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Sort of how I see it. I am enjoying some of the squirming from Premier League etc.

Premier League financial power has pretty much ruined leagues like Netherlands, Portugal and Framce to be feeder leagues. Man City buying 20 clubs and hoovering up elite youth talents worldwide is worse for the game than a bunch of Dads Army players chasing a last payday

As an example, the was no problem when we, the team who had just finished 14th in our league, offered crazy wages to bring in one of the best young talents in Ligue 1 from a team that was regularly competing in Europe. If he didn't sign for us, it would have been another PL club. We own those leagues, almost literally. Get a tiny dose of our own medicine and we can't handle it :lol: . It's not even any good players moving there either. So far it's mostly rejects from the team that finished 12th.

I hope all the best players in europe and worldwide decide to start going there so then thw authorities start actually doing somwthing to stop the saudia ruining this sport 

Eventually it will happen when saudi league gets more popular

19 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I hope all the best players in europe and worldwide decide to start going there so then thw authorities start actually doing somwthing to stop the saudia ruining this sport 

They won't do shit

Same as the FA and UEFA all FIFA will do is look to see how they can get themselves a slice of the pie, those that run football are the biggest pigs at the trough

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Keyblade said:

i can't speak for everyone, but i'm not 'losing my mind' about some saudi team buying neves for 50m. i personally have genuine concerns that they want to take over football the way they've basically taken over golf and i have zero faith in FIFA, UEFA, or the various countries' football associations stopping it if the right sized brown envelope is put under their noses.

and yes, the chelsea stuff is well dodgy too

• Like 4

I actually think this could be a positive, create a saudi super league and make the Premier league fall a bit closer to reality, whilst not losing most of the top teams. 

Introduce stricter financial rules here and europe and let the Saudi league be where all the money is. I struggle to believe that it will be able to steal must premier league fans whatever they do (for example, they could easily have created a super league with 20 new teams, majority of fans have a tiny bit of loyalty and will stay with their teams imo)

• Like 1

£50m wouldn't have been Wolves valuation for Neves, it's questionable if he's worth that at the best of times or if in normal circumstances any team would be willing to pay that, Wolves been trying to sell him the last few transfer windows before his contract completey runs down and he leaves on a free, but no team made a move for him, he's a very good player, but perhaps not elite level. His value was closer to £25m because he was in the last year of his contract and it's a well known fact that Wolves need to sell to buy, this is something they've admitted themselves on officials statment released last week on their website, so they were in no position to be demanding big fees for their Portugese captain, even Wolves fans themselves conceded that they would only get around £25m for him, if say Luiz was in his last year with us around £25m is the most we could expect for him, maybe even a little less. But I think the strangeness of the Saudi team over paying for Neves is more Mendes related than Saudi related, in the sense that Mendes has done this kind of thing before, see also Wolves paying £45m for Fabio Silva when he had barely played for Porto, I suspect that was a favor to Mendes for previous deals he had sorted for them where it could be argued they under paid for players, and there's probably something similar going on with him sending Neves to Saudi, maybe Saudi team agreed to over pay for Neves in exchange for more Mendes players in the future. On people saying that shouldn't be surprised at Neves going there as he left Porto to go to Wolves, I think that might be a little unfair on him, because he wasn't actually a regular in the Porto team, he only played 623 minutes in the league for Porto the season before he joined Wolves, that's like seven games worth, and I think he played about one games worth of football in the Champions League, so wasn't like he was some established superstar at Porto like some seem to think, and also I don't think he was actually on massive money at Wolves, I read recently that even now he's 'only' on around sixty thousand a week, he probably could have left them long before now and easily got more than that. But going to Saudi looks a bad decision, football wise as I'm guessing the quality of that league is nowhere near top European league standards, and when you consider that there are sixteen teams in the league, presumably all wiill have squads of around twenty-five players, which would make roughly three hundred players in the league, then signing an handful of players from Europe isn't going to make much of a differene to the overall quality of the league at all, people saying Neves can go there for a couple of years then stroll into Barcelona or Newcastle, but not sure if it's that simple, after a couple of years playing in such a low quality league he and other players might not be good enough to just go back to playing at higher level as they won't have had the practice.

Edited by useless
I made font smaller and removed paragraph spaces to take up less space

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

Wont happen. FIFA are loving this, they are being mainly bankrolled by the Saudis and this will help take away the power from the European clubs

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Keyblade said:

100%.  I couldn't care less what players want to go there for a pay day, let them.  The only thing that we should be worried about is European clubs using this as a way to circumvent FFP rules.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

What's the difference in Man City or Madrid buying up all the best young talent in world football and Saudi Arabia doing it?

Saudi League isn't going to become a top league just by signing a bunch of players, it's not as easy as that, to become an established top league, you need a proper grassroots and academy system in place, that could happen eventually but by the nature of what's required for it to happen it would taken years and years to set up, probably decades at least, it's not something that can be bought in an instance.

People trying to compare Saudi league now to how top division in England was before it became the Premier League, but that doesn't make sense, even before it became the Premier League and all the money came in, England's uppermost division was already one of the top leagues in Europe with some of the best players in Europe, and producing European champions, it had been in existence for 100 years to get to that point.

Saudi league wil remain low quality for a good while yet, at best each summer it will attract a bunch of players with star quality and that will mean people watch it, but in terms of quaity it's not going to be a threat to the top leagues in Europe.

10 minutes ago, duke313 said:

What's the difference in Man City or Madrid buying up all the best young talent in world football and Saudi Arabia doing it?

The money being spent look at the wages

And i bet the two clubs who benwfit the most will be newcastle and chelsea whether thata buying back players eg neves for cheaper or selling unwanted players to theie saudi clubs for over inflated fees to keep with FFP

Edited by Demitri_C

Â