Pau Torres

Delphinho123

3 minutes ago, AndyM3000 said:

He did play a few sloppy passes today but he's the one that's been given the task of playing the more aggressive passes forward where as Konsa keeps it more simple.

He has and he's pretty good at them. Wonderful ball for Digne in the first half.

There's less of a need to be firing it sideways across the pitch to the opponent though. Some of them were awful. Bertrand Traore stuff.

Plus he gets done far too easily when the ball is on the deck IMO.

If Mings was playing exactly like this and Torres was on the bench (as I think would have happened a lot if Mings hadn't got injured), there would be a lot of noise around dropping Ty.

I hope Torres improves. He's certainly got a manager who won't stand for dangerous, risky passes if there's no need.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

He has and he's pretty good at them. Wonderful ball for Digne in the first half.

There's less of a need to be firing it sideways across the pitch to the opponent though. Some of them were awful. Bertrand Traore stuff.

Plus he gets done far too easily when the ball is on the deck IMO.

If Mings was playing exactly like this and Torres was on the bench (as I think would have happened a lot if Mings hadn't got injured), there would be a lot of noise around dropping Ty.

I hope Torres improves. He's certainly got a manager who won't stand for dangerous, risky passes if there's no need.

That pass for Digne was a beauty. If only it was Moreno running onto it, I think he would be more direct in on goal.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Ok. Nothing special tbh. People praising simple passes and ignoring the risky ones that will be punished.

Mings played much better and received less praise. 

Don't understand what your point is? Mings has been praised loads for this?

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Ok. Nothing special tbh. People praising simple passes and ignoring the risky ones that will be punished.

Whilst I agree that Mings doesn't get the praise he deserves, Torres is a different style of player.

It's illogical to compare the physicality and leadership skills (and leadership takes time and shared experiences to build) of Mings with Torres, who is in his fourth or fifth month here, and is an on-the-ball expert and possession-based player. But whilst I find this comparison a bit of a nonstarter, tbh, I guess it's natural, too. 😉

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Delphinho123 said:

Not sure I agree with this, there was a period where Mingsy was making a helluva lot of mistakes and costing us a fair few points in the process, at this time he was getting criticized (probably far too much criticism and I was guilty of this as well) but when he was playing well he was getting a helluva lot of praise from the overwhelming majority, hell, he even managed to win my old man over by the end and that takes some doing.

• Like 2

This is nonsense? Mings is indeed a very decent player who has improved under Emery and is the best stopper, but Torres has more range and given we aim to control games rather having to rely on stoppers, him being here totally makes sense. He has already scored and had assists. His range of passing gives us depth and its like having another midfielder on the pitch. For me Konsa has improved this season, whether that’s due to the new dynamic who knows?

• Like 3

Mings is nowhere near as good on the ball is as Torres. Miles apart. 

Mings is an excellent player, but that’s what Torres is getting praise for more than anything. 

It’s a different way to play football, but what we lose in old fashioned defensive ability with Torres, we gain back in his ability to start attacks with his range of passing. 

It’s his job to make risky passes. Some of them will get punished over the course of the season, but the benefits outweigh that

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

1 hour ago, thunderball said:

This is nonsense? Mings is indeed a very decent player who has improved under Emery and is the best stopper, but Torres has more range and given we aim to control games rather having to rely on stoppers, him being here totally makes sense. He has already scored and had assists. His range of passing gives us depth and its like having another midfielder on the pitch. For me Konsa has improved this season, whether that’s due to the new dynamic who knows?

:lol:

He must have given the ball away 3 or 4 times today under minimal pressure in our half.

Did the same against Wolves.

If the ball was being lost attempting a good pass it would be more forgivable. These are Bertie T mental lashes/scuffs to no one. Not sure if he's with it fully yet.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

That's a baffling view. His passing creates so many positive situations for us. He not only spots passes that others wouldn't but also executes them. Mings was fine on the ball, Pau is a completely different level though.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

Not sure about this at all. He probably encourages the risky passes and has a well enough structured side to have a good chance of recovering the ball if/when they don't come off. He knew all about what his game's about from Villarreal.

Edited by Tom13
  • Like 1

Easily bullied off the ball. Lacking any real pace. Turning over a lot of easy possession.

That said, I see improvements. He knew he stood no chance against the likes of Bowen for pace today, but I though his positioning throughout was excellent.

If he cuts out the lazy turnovers (something both Digne, Zaniolo and Luiz were also guilty of at times yesterday) there's not a lot left to criticise.

• Like 3

Â