Pau Torres

Delphinho123

39 minutes ago, DJBOB said:

Showed his best and worst today. Class ball to mcginn under pressure leading to the 3rd goal. 

And too easily outmuscled for Burnleys. 

Definitely not a great 1v1 defender. Won't be the last time he gets easily moved for a goal. Passing and progressive play makes up for any defensive frailties for me. 

We attack as a team and defend as a team now, his extra ability helps the team far more than the odd occasion he has a one on one. To have intelligent footballers with range is that extra % advantage we are looking for all over the pitch. 

You can tell there's a top player there. I think his strength is something that we can improve, and I'm sure that he'll look a lot more solid once he gets more PL games and becomes more accustomed to the speed and strength of the forward players he's up against. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, JoshVilla said:

You can tell there's a top player there. I think his strength is something that we can improve, and I'm sure that he'll look a lot more solid once he gets more PL games and becomes more accustomed to the speed and strength of the forward players he's up against. 

He can only go on to improve in his strength and will develop more defensive nous as he adapts to the premiership. Class on the ball is something much more difficult to teach and he is a natural. We have a top top player!

• Like 1

He can improve his strength a little bit but I think he’ll always have this frame so we just have to learn to deal with it. 

I can see why Unai is targeting a more aggressive LB like Acuna. Crosses in Digne and Pau’s area will be tough watching. 

Edited by DJBOB

I am sure the defence tactics team,or whatever they are called (the ones that Cash spoke about. coaches that only trains,and "take care" of the defence) will give him the tools he needs to sort out the 1v1 weakness,and then he will be even more amazing.

22 minutes ago, villarule123 said:

I wonder if we'll be going with 3 CBs more often to help protect Torres at the back, especially in the away games. 

I think so & I think that's why Emery is doing it, probably till he adjust to the physicality of the league 👍

I didn't think he was anywhere as bad as some are suggesting for the Burnley goal, it just fell perfectly for the Burnely attacker to do what he did and he did it perfectly, not sure there was much Pau could have done without risking giving away a penalty, was just good player from Foster to turn his back to Pau to block him and stop him from getting it and then turning and shooting,

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tom13 said:

His passing out from the back is another level to what we've been used to.

He is also one of them players like Grealish who is faster with the ball than without it

He eats up ground when he brings it forward

His passing his sublime. Yes he's physically not the best of defenders but he's got Carlos next to him so does he necessarily need to be? If he was a complete player we wouldn't have been able to sign him in the first place.

4 hours ago, Cizzler said:

Still?

Yes. Despite a hiccup was very impressed -  not sure what was expecting from him when we signed him but he looked really classy, and a calming presence for the entire team. 

Â