Pau Torres

Delphinho123

He wasn't done any favors with Bailey in front of him.  Might as well had Casper on his kit instead of Bailey.  Bailey was atrocious tonight and frequently left him 2v1- which contributed to Pau looking poor on D.  Not to mention Bailey was rarely an outlet when Pau was isolated on the sideline.  There was a reason why Diaby and Bailey switched sides before halftime.  If Pau is going to play LCB in a 3 with Cash- he needs JJ or Buendia in front of him to do the dirty work and track back and help.  That will make his life  alot easier.  

Thats not to say the Pau didn't struggle today.  But I lay alot of the blame at Bailey's feet as well.  Its a team game and he left Pau out to dry often.  Bailey was just very poor in nearly every aspect tonight.

2 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I don’t think Pau has looked great in pre season at both centre back or left back but it’s kid of expected in a new team. Will take time to fully settle and find his feet. 

Will definitely take time to settle. Needs to get on the training plan with Ollie, Ty, and Diego.

But I think Pau will be very useful against a lot of teams that sit in low blocks against us. 

I wouldn't judge him by what we have seen in pre season, which in fairness has been fine anyway. He has played probably no more than 3 hours of football over 5 pre season games and given the amount of travelling we have done since he has been been here would have had very few training sessions with his new team mates. It'll take time for him to build understandings with others and get up to full speed in the role he is likely to be asked to play but he is clearly a quality player and I'm confident he will be flying within a couple of months. 

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Mazrim said:

The quick judgement over this guy is a bit of a joke to be honest. He's going to be class for us.

Nope, it's not all all. Haven't seen anyone saying he's not good enough for us. Haven't seen anyone say he will do badly for us. 

Fact is, he has been caught out more than our other defenders and misplaced more passes too. That's a fact and just because he is new, highly rated and an Emery priority signing doesn't shield him from those facts.

Before anyone starts having a go at me, I think he will do well for us. But he has not been good in these games.

• Like 2

If the plan was to play him at LB long term then it's is a poor purchase. That's not the plan thou. Especially not once Moreno comes back. He's a CB with a great passing foot. He's been filling in at LB due to Digne not appearing to be in the long term plan and Emery trying out the stay at home 3 defenders on the left instead of right due to injuries.

Guy is a CB not LB.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Mazrim said:

The quick judgement over this guy is a bit of a joke to be honest. He's going to be class for us.

There was caution before he signed to be honest.

I don't think people are writing him off. He hasn't been great though, that's all.

I don't think Diaby has looked great either, no dramas.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, sne said:

If the plan was to play him at LB long term then it's is a poor purchase. That's not the plan thou. Especially not once Moreno comes back. He's a CB with a great passing foot. He's been filling in at LB due to Digne not appearing to be in the long term plan and Emery trying out the stay at home 3 defenders on the left instead of right due to injuries.

Guy is a CB not LB.

Agree.

And time will tell whether it was a good purchase. There's certainly plenty of other CBs around much better suited to the league who have moved. Hopefully his technique on the ball means he's better for us than any of them would be.

3 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Agree.

And time will tell whether it was a good purchase. There's certainly plenty of other CBs around much better suited to the league who have moved. Hopefully his technique on the ball means he's better for us than any of them would be.

I'm delighted with this signing and once everything is settled later in the season I think he will play alongside Mings at CB even thou Konsa looks good and dare I say a bit stronger this pre season than he was last year.

Edited by sne
  • Like 1

Pre-season is notoriously shaky when it comes to making judgements on new players, tbh. Just off the top of my head, Jota and Guilbert down the right-hand-side looked like the 2nd comings of Messi and Cafu during their debut preseasons.

Emery is very familiar with him, once he's integrated into the team he'll very quicky become a mainstay.

Edited by wishywashy

Â