Pau Torres

Delphinho123

2 hours ago, CarryOnVilla said:

Is John Townley the latest regeneration of Ashley Preece?

He is a relative " junior " who's been handed the reigns.

He seems a genuine bloke who wouldn't BS just for BS sake though and is building his career.

Having said that, Preece was a great bloke as well

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

We play 343 when Moreno bombs forward and RB tucks and play 622 on defence. I don't see Emery playing 3 CBs and I wouldn't want it 

When people think of 3 CBs, they mean it as a back 5. 3 CBs and 2 wing backs. So when defending in a block of 5 3 2 or 5 4 1

We will defend in a 4 4 2 so not a 3 CBs type defence as people think of it

In possession is totally different. 3 box 3 and then into a 2 3 5. The question is what players perform what roles in the different parts of the system. Out of possession ball in opponents final 1/3rd our our final 1/3rd. In possession build up etc..

For me Torres can do multiple roles he can play as a CB or as a FB who moves into midfield to be a CDM (ie inverts). 

13 minutes ago, Enda said:

You’ve also said Coutinho would struggle in a 5-a-side though 😅

Emery has played with 3 CBs before, eg here, so it’d be nothing unusual. 

When those are the CBs playing I'm not surprised he went for three :D

6 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

He is a relative " junior " who's been handed the reigns.

He seems a genuine bloke who wouldn't BS just for BS sake though and is building his career.

Having said that, Preece was a great bloke as well

Agreed. I do feel Townley is trying to do better on the transfers than Preece did. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

Kamara started out as CB and has played +60 there for Marseille. Dendoncker +60 at CB and just played CB for Belgium. I'd wager they'd be shifted to CB more than Chambers

Can have what if player X got injured for every team in the PL

Chambers will get some run there imo even if we sign a new CB. Simply because he's good enough against lower prem teams which means he's perfectly serviceable against a lot of the opponents in the conference league we will face. 

1 minute ago, duke313 said:

Seems to be some fans want Torres and some don't because we have Mings.  

For what it's worth, If Emery thinks we need Torres then we need Torres.

A fair point, given how much emphasis he placed on playing out from the back it’s no surprise he wants what the kids call a “baller” in there. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, villaglint said:

A fair point, given how much emphasis he placed on playing out from the back it’s no surprise he wants what the kids call a “baller” in there. 

Mings and Konsa did a fine job last season defensively, didn't concede many goals bar a couple games under Emery.

But the fact we are even in for Torres despite having two good defenders means Emery wants more than just CBs who defend well.  He wants them to have the passing ability to start attacks. Mings and Konsa simply don't have that in their locker, Konsa especially, Mings has to a degree, but nowhere near the level of Torres.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, duke313 said:

Mings and Konsa did a fine job last season defensively, didn't concede many goals bar a couple games under Emery.

But the fact we are even in for Torres despite having two good defenders means Emery wants more than just CBs who defend well.  He wants them to have the passing ability to start attacks. Mings and Konsa simply don't have that in their locker, Konsa especially, Mings has to a degree, but nowhere near the level of Torres.

Can he defend like both of them through  ?.

6 minutes ago, ozvilla28 said:

Can he defend like both of them through  ?.

I guess we'll find out if we sign him.  He could be the Spanish Titus Bramble, but I doubt Emery would be after him if he was.

Apparently, Kim Min Jae has a release clause that's only active in July, will find out next week if he's off to Bayern.  If he is, then likelihood we'll see some movement on Torres next week.  

1 hour ago, duke313 said:

Seems to be some fans want Torres and some don't because we have Mings.  

For what it's worth, If Emery thinks we need Torres then we need Torres.

Remember when we signed Matty Cash and we all wondered why we signed him because we said we had 2 good right backs already? Cash played one game and we all said "THATS why we signed him, bloody hell - what a difference"

That'll happen with this transfer if it goes through

• Like 1

The only thing for sure if we sign Torres is that he will be our first choice CB under all circumstances. The rest, is unsure, Emery might not like a certain part of Ming's game. Carlos might be fully fit and the same player as he was before his injury and Emery might prefer him to Mings. We might play three at the back. 

This is the first real chance Emery has had to make this his own team, so anything could happen. 

Edited by villarule123

Yes were paying £55m when Villareal themselves have reported to only expect 30 - 40m for him due to him being in the last year of his deal.

Another Talkshite special.

Edited by AshVilla

Â