Pau Torres

Delphinho123

6 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

In the Premier League that 95.5% Aerials dual won is priceless. 

Mings really only won 15% of defensive duals? I find that hard to believe. 

I think stats for centre backs are often flawed when viewed in isolation, even more so than other positions. They're largely indicative of the style of play/quality of the team that they play in.

• Like 2

So if this happens Emery brings in a trusted lieutenant who requires no adaptation to his tactics. We can also pick two or three from Mings, Konsa, Carlos or Torres depending on if we want to play three at the back, a CB at RB in every single league and cup game for the entire season giving us excellent cover for suspensions, injuries and specific team match ups.

That’s still plenty of game time for all and fierce competition to play in the meaningful games.

Reserve keeper, RB (unless that is Konsa) winger and second striker to go. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Two people quoted have only a handful of followers.

Also this feels lime the standard make noise he's going to Villa to get the other bids in.

Don’t you be backtracking now CV. He’s chosen Munich as we all expected, right?

• Haha 1

47 minutes ago, El-Reacho said:

This suggests that he's unable to challenge for headers - which is a bit of a blinspot for an elite level centre-half. Am I reading this wrong??

It could be that there's a lot more of the game played on the ground over there? I'm sure he could be coached to win more headers and Mings could help him along with that. 

22 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Don’t you be backtracking now CV. He’s chosen Munich as we all expected, right?

Yes, make noises about Villa to make Bayern bid. Remember Asensio was going to us and it got PSG to get their proposal together. 

This smacks of, if I don't hear anything from Bayern by the end of the week I'll join Villa. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Yes, make noises about Villa to make Bayern bid. Remember Asensio was going to us and it got PSG to get their proposal together. 

This smacks of, if I don't hear anything from Bayern by the end of the week I'll join Villa. 

I agree unfortunately.

2 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Which is a massive leap up from if I don't hear anything from Spurs / Wolves / Leicester / West Ham - I'll join Villa.  (Which I know isn't really what you were saying but it does show that we are fishing in a different pond these days.)

53 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

In the Premier League that 95.5% Aerials dual won is priceless. 

Mings really only won 15% of defensive duals? I find that hard to believe. 

Its percentile amongst CB, not the underlying statistic

I.e. Torres has more progressive carries than 99.8% of CB's

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Pretty certain Villa were linked with Pau Torres in January...

If he was going to sign I'd imagine it would be done by now.

Why? With holidays, internationals and then agents, contracts and so forth it may have not started until now.  Some players agree before the end of the season I agree but sometimes that also doesn’t happen.  I don’t see the timeframe being an issue so early in the window, we are still very very early in the window and a few days after internationals.

1 hour ago, El-Reacho said:

This suggests that he's unable to challenge for headers - which is a bit of a blinspot for an elite level centre-half. Am I reading this wrong??

Bit like the stats showing Mings only winning 15% of defensive duels on the deck.  It depends a lot on how teams play (both the team they play for and the opposition) and what is classed as a "duel".  If we are interested then Emery will know all about Torres' strengths and weaknesses and will have thought about how to deal with both.  For example Mings might not win many duels but he probably does make a lot of blocks - suggesting that his style of defending is more about standing his man up and trying to stop them passing / shooting rather than diving in to win a tackle.  I've not watched Torres enough to know whether he is losing those aerial duels and conceding goals / chances or if he's "losing" the duel in order to win the second ball / mop up.

Edited by allani

16 minutes ago, WallisFrizz said:

I agree unfortunately.

It's just how the window works. Let's say Torres is top of our list and 2nd on Bayerns. They say they need to move a player on first and then recruit a replacement. We put our case to Torres and he's interested but wants to wait to make up his mind. He needs Bayern to either move for him or say they won't. 

So it's this kind of decision. How long does he want to wait. We probably have a 2nd target too we won't wait all window for Torres.

These are the types of things that are going on

Â