Youri Tielemans

thejoker

31 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

Austria’s first goal came as a result of Doku getting turned over in midfield. The as you say Onana got sent off. Second came from a penalty given  for a handball by Theate.

So obvs Tielemans would take the blame for all that.

I wasnt saying he'd take the blame, but doubt he's come out of it better than he went in. 

At a wholistic level, the manager made some changes and the team wilted. He was part of the team that lost the portion of the game he was on for 2-0.

Obviously, if their manager is better than Southgate, they won't look at things so high level, but he was on the pitch when the rest of the team started failing. Is he likely to be entirely blameless?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, MrBlack said:

I wasnt saying he'd take the blame, but doubt he's come out of it better than he went in. 

At a wholistic level, the manager made some changes and the team wilted. He was part of the team that lost the portion of the game he was on for 2-0.

Obviously, if their manager is better than Southgate, they won't look at things so high level, but he was on the pitch when the rest of the team started failing. Is he likely to be entirely blameless?

He nearly scored a couple of minutes after coming on, combining nicely with Lukaku, so it wasn’t all negative for him.

Just now, briny_ear said:

He nearly scored a couple of minutes after coming on, combining nicely with Lukaku, so it wasn’t all negative for him.

Was that the blocked effort? It was decent build up play, but as has been the case all season got us,  the end product lacked.

Enough negativity from me though...

The fact he is still getting selected does mean he's still in their eye line, and hopefully he can take some comfort from the fact he's still getting minutes for them despite not getting many for us. I'd love that to give him some confidence and start showing some of what he's capable of for us. 

39 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Is already been criticised for his performance so far tonight

Where are you seeing this?

He had another blocked shot,  but can't find anywhere showing it to see if it was another example of making the wrong choice or a genuine decent block. Won a free kick. Hasn't done a great deal else according to the limited live text I've got access to. 

4 hours ago, MrBlack said:

I mean, I'm not especially impressed with his performances for us either yet, but man aren't you reaching a little bit here?

13 hours ago, osmark86 said:

I mean, I'm not especially impressed with his performances for us either yet, but man aren't you reaching a little bit here?

Yes, I was reaching a bit there.  With what limited information I can get from highlights of the match and reviews of his performance online, it was a loose conclusion.

But as I mentioned with my following post it was enough negativity from me and I was instead moving on to hoping he'd use the confidence of still being picked by the international team to instil some confidence in his club form. It really does seem he's not assured of his abilities, even though they're definitely there.

That the match last night then got abandoned for incredibly sad reasons puts the whole thing in perspective though. Sad day for Belgium,  Sweden and all concerned.

• Like 1

On 17/10/2023 at 11:55, MrBlack said:

Yes, I was reaching a bit there.  With what limited information I can get from highlights of the match and reviews of his performance online, it was a loose conclusion.

But as I mentioned with my following post it was enough negativity from me and I was instead moving on to hoping he'd use the confidence of still being picked by the international team to instil some confidence in his club form. It really does seem he's not assured of his abilities, even though they're definitely there.

That the match last night then got abandoned for incredibly sad reasons puts the whole thing in perspective though. Sad day for Belgium,  Sweden and all concerned.

I get that and no worries :)

As for the final bit, it's all really sad and turbulent. I wouldn't want to be a muslim in Sweden right now with some of the things I'm hearing from non-muslims either.

Â