Youri Tielemans

thejoker

30 minutes ago, TRO said:

And thats the essence of the whole scenario.....what he has done with Leicester, is in a different team to us, and subsequently he was subjected to their ills.

We took a chance on Emi Martinez, and look at how that turned out......players respond to their surroundings, some more than others....some get motivated by a move away.

We as Villa fans don't know, which Youri Tielemans we will get, but he is 26 and potentially in his prime, on a free transfer......what is there not to like from our point of view.This 

I understand the disappointment the Leicester fans feel, after relegation, but it wasn't a last minute thing, it was coming.......but my advice is not to blame other clubs for doing their job, for their clubs......Blame your club for not doing their job, for you.

Ps If Youri plays poor, he won't get in the team, its not complicated.

This is the most overlooked and perhaps shocking thing in this transfer.  Rare to get a player of this quality at this age on a free.  Plenty of over-30 types run down contracts and always a good number of academy "rejects" but to get a proven international with (potentially) his best years still to come is real coup in my mind... 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

Assuming Donck, Naka and Morgan leave that leaves us very short on quality in the midfield if McGinn, Luiz or Bouba pick up injuries. I imagine Tim is due another loan next season too.

I'd be surprised if we sold Dendoncker to be honest.  He's a very versatile player with experience and has not let us down (except arguably the single mistake against Stevenage).  Great option off the bench and/or to cover injuries in midfield and in defence. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, FLVillan said:

I'd be surprised if we sold Dendoncker to be honest.  He's a very versatile player with experience and has not let us down (except arguably the single mistake against Stevenage).  Great option off the bench and/or to cover injuries in midfield and in defence. 

Oh, totally. I'd rather keep him around, but if a decent offer comes in and we can't guarantee the minutes, I'm not against selling.

If you had to pay a “free transfer” their entire predicted transfer fee as a bonus there would be literally no point in signing them. Also how would this predicted value be calculated? If they’re out of contract they have no ‘value’ as there is no fee to pay to a club…

11 hours ago, HolteExile said:

Loads of supporters from other clubs were happy to see us drop. 

Prob for the novelty of it, as much as anything else. And the fact that we stank the league out for about five years before we did go. 

Don't actually mind Lesta. A league title and FA Cup bagged in the last seven years.  And none of this 'mind the gap' nonsense we get from some of our other neighbours. Their fans give us a bit of stick when we play (as it should be). But don't have the obsessive tendencies of the other lot. 

It's because it's funny to see a big club fail. We (along with everyone else) laughed at Newcastle, everyone laughed at us, we'd all find it hilarious if spurs found themselves in the bottom 3 even if it was only 5 games into a season, it's just what happens.

There's no real bad feeling when a small team goes down, a Leicester or Norwich or Bournemouth etc, if that teams had some success most people quite like that and will remember them fondly.

If next season we're in the bottom 3 with Brighton they'll have loads of support and we'll have loads of memes and everyone reveling in it, even though they finished above us the season before

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PaulC said:

I have faith that Emery will make him consistently good. We have good choices in midfield, hes going to have to be consistently very good to get in the team.

That’s what he needs, he coasted here without proper competition.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, allani said:

IF we can get Tielemans back "in the groove" then this could be an excellent signing.  I'm slightly worried about alleged commitment issues - but in Emery I trust.

He could be our Lucky Star. 

1 hour ago, TRO said:

And thats the essence of the whole scenario.....what he has done with Leicester, is in a different team to us, and subsequently he was subjected to their ills.

We took a chance on Emi Martinez, and look at how that turned out......players respond to their surroundings, some more than others....some get motivated by a move away.

We as Villa fans don't know, which Youri Tielemans we will get, but he is 26 and potentially in his prime, on a free transfer......what is there not to like from our point of view.

I understand the disappointment the Leicester fans feel, after relegation, but it wasn't a last minute thing, it was coming.......but my advice is not to blame other clubs for doing their job, for their clubs......Blame your club for not doing their job, for you.

Ps If Youri plays poor, he won't get in the team, its not complicated.

I don’t think anyone but a couple of idiots bares villa any bad will in this scenario. 

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

Assuming Donck, Naka and Morgan leave that leaves us very short on quality in the midfield if McGinn, Luiz or Bouba pick up injuries. I imagine Tim is due another loan next season too.

I doubt dendoncker leaves. He's played with tielemans at club level before and together in their national team. I have to assume they will likely be the duo we play if we get through to the conference league group stages against the weaker teams. Plus dendoncker himself is a very useful player aside from his already existing chemistry with our new signing. 

He can play as a cdm or CB and a couple of times emery used him as such. Where he came on and acted as a CB in our defensive third but played higher upfield as a ball winner in the midfield or attacking thirds. 

2 hours ago, av1 said:

This comment did make my laugh. The bloke looks like he’s soiled himself. 

nt: contains swearing. 

It looks bad, but what's he even done wrong in this clip? Does Twitter not realise that professional footballers typically don't just aimlessly run towards the ball if there's absolutely no way they're getting to it? Even if he starts dashing at Rice literally nothing changes, and I reckon you could pull up a bunch of similar clips for almost every midfielder.

Edited by wishywashy
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, tomsky_11 said:

How much is his change in perceived performance at Leicester down to tactical changes impacting him and his role? And the performance of the rest of the team?

There's a pretty noticable difference in his areas of operation at Leicester between his earlier and later seasons. Far more touches and tackles in the defensive and middle 3rds in the last two seasons, far more in the attacking 3rd in the seasons before that. Alongside this, other indicators of a switch to a less attacking, more defensive role - in the last two seasons, far more shots blocked, more tackles (and noticably better success in them), fewer progressive passes received (but more possession), fewer miscontrols and being dispossessed, more fouls, but also less fouled himself despite more possession, improved short and medium range passing but worse long range, fewer shots and on average further from goal, with npxG per shot halved from his first to last season.

Even seeming to play this deeper role, he's still been putting up decent shot creation numbers and getting the ball into dangerous areas through passing far more often than any of our current midfield. And his assist numbers dropped off far more at Leicester than the volume and quality of his chance creation did, so is this impacted more by the players he had around him?

It seems to me like he'll come into our side most likely in the current McGinn role on the advanced right side of our midfield 4, and therefore operate in areas more like I suspect he was utilised early on at Leicester, in a team performing towards the higher end of the table. If indeed his ability in possession and as a goal threat hasn't changed and we can utilise him higher up the field, I don't see why we can't get goal and assist numbers from him similar to his most productive periods at Leicester.

To potential add that to our squad while saving potenitally £5-10M a season on paying a fee for an equivalent player is great business for us.

He has had poor seasons even in a more attacking position. But his and our best football was played with him and Maddison as 8’s with Ndidi holding. Later on when Rodgers shit the bed, it was more Maddison as a 10 and Ndidi and Tielemans behind. 

Seems like after Maddison he was one of their best players last season (going by FotMob and whoscored.com rather than a lot of Leicester fans).

The common theme is that although he is talented his fitness has been a big problem for him.

We've seen the miracles Emery has worked with our current squad and even McGinn looks a 90 minute player now where as under previous managers he often looked knacked after an hour.

If anyone can get the best out of Tielemans then it will be Unai. Also, given the quality we have in midfield already Tielemans will have to be playing well to get in the team. UTV!

6 minutes ago, babyblue said:

He has had poor seasons even in a more attacking position. But his and our best football was played with him and Maddison as 8’s with Ndidi holding. Later on when Rodgers shit the bed, it was more Maddison as a 10 and Ndidi and Tielemans behind. 

Two 8’s you say. Stephen Gerrard approves :trollface:

Â