Race for Champions League - 2023/2024

Don_Simon

1 minute ago, bobzy said:

God bless the sport of football. 

(Edit: I actually think you have it wrong anyway. What’s best for Aston Villa is winning a trophy. What’s best for Aston Villa fans is winning a trophy. What’s best for our owners is cash dolla.)

No, you have it the wrong way around.

Let’s get relegated so we can enter the FA Vase which gives us the best chance of winning a trophy.  Utter nonsense 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Thug said:

No, you have it the wrong way around.

Let’s get relegated so we can enter the FA Vase which gives us the best chance of winning a trophy.  Utter nonsense 

Ridiculous point, but you know that.

a] Aston Villa have a fantastic 23/24 season, finishing 4th in the league and playing CL football in 24/25. Sadly, Villa missed out on a trophy. Even worse, the team wildly backfire and get relegated in 24/25, knocked out of the CL at the group stage.

b] Aston Villa have a fantastic 23/24 season, narrowly missing out on CL football for the 24/25 season but winning the ECL to win their first trophy since 1996. Sadly, the team wildly backfire and get relegated in 24/25.

b] there has a bigger legacy, something to add to the clubs’ honours and is remembered more fondly by fans. a] is a footnote similar to “remember when we were doing well under MON?”.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Now you see what I meant by the SHA mentality?  
Where we differ is that I’m an optimist.  I believe we are on the cusps of something greater than the Euro Conference League.

You, you think this is as good as it gets.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Thug said:

Now you see what I meant by the SHA mentality?  
Where we differ is that I’m an optimist.  I believe we are on the cusps of something greater than the Euro Conference League.

You, you think this is as good as it gets.

I think we’re on the cusp of something greater with absolutely zero guarantee that it occurs. Thats why winning something is so huge - it simply doesn’t happen often at all.

It’s happened twice for Villa in my lifetime (a 3rd rate trophy on both counts, too!) and those moments were amazing. I remember the goals so vividly compared to basically anything else that I’ve watched (some exclusions; the 3-2 win at Goodison is etched in my memory as is beating Ajax at Villa Park with Laursen scoring for some reason). That’s the absolute joy in watching football - the chance to win something.

I think there’s every chance we finish top 4 this season and don’t next season. There’s no guarantee it continually happens - just look at Newcastle.

But then I’m also pretty old school and would have low ticket prices and improved staffing at the ground so the whole experience is far more affordable - particularly in the current economic climate. I understand this is SHA mentality rather than accounting 101, but football should be about the fans; not the money. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, nick76 said:

I look at it more

a] Aston Villa have a fantastic 23/24 season, finishing 4th in the league and playing CL football in 24/25. Sadly, Villa missed out on a trophy. Villa fend off bids for many key players and a number sign new long term contracts.  Villa also add a  few CL quality players who are looking forward to playing CL football with Aston Villa.  They achieve another fourth place finish in 24/25 season with another fabulous goal scoring season from Ollie Watkins with supply by Nico Williams in his first season.

b] Aston Villa have a fantastic 23/24 season, narrowly missing out on CL football for the 24/25 season but winning the ECL to win their first trophy since 1996. Sadly, Aston Villa have to sell a key player and Arsenal take Ollie Watkins for a huge bid, which partly is used to invest in new players and part to cover FFP/PSR.  Villa end up 8th in 24/25 season outside of European football.  Martinez then moves abroad and Torres forces a move to Madrid.

Not hard to see I prefer a)

c) Aston Villa finish 4th, win the ECL and then win everything available to them for ever more.

Not hard to see I prefer c).

• Like 1

there seems to have been endless pages on people arguing whether its better to finish 4th or win the conference league - I really don't understand why it can't be both?  I'm sure everyone would like to win a trophy, and everyone would also love to see the likes of Real Madrid getting beat at villa park.

Yes the lads are tired and they've almost given absolutely everything they could this amazing season, but they might not have to even get another point in the league this season to qualify for the champions league.  Go out Thursday give it their absolute best once again and try to reach the final and then re-evaluate after that.  It really is just about taking each of the last 3 or 4 games at a time from here and going with whichever team is the team and has the most energy for that next fixture.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Thug said:

Nonsense.

whats best for Aston Villa is generating cash.

Whats best for YOU is us winning a trophy.

Villa could generate more cash out of fans and alienate many by pricing them out.   

Money helps the club grow but to what end it's all about producing a team to win a trophy.

Winning is everything that's the sport we are in.

Winning makes money.

So what is best for fans in my personal opinion is Winning whatever competition we enter.   

Sure qualifying for for Champions League will be an amazing achievement but it does not bring the glory The Conference League Trophy would.

Each to their own I guess.

• Thanks 2

Posted (edited)

We were stuck in the 90s long enough until Emery came in. The game moved on and we got left behind. Arguably we we were the last of the big clubs to move on into the idea that you need a squad! Brian Little, John Gregory and MON all stumbled as managers compared to their peers in this regard (Little acknowledged this in a podcast a couple of years ago).

Getting into the champions league, and seeing, clearly that this is where its at if we want to grow and become a club that wins honours, keeps its best players and attracts the best players is the next phase of our revolution. 

Even if we only qualify once this decade, we will be able to attract players on the basis 'Villa are a club capable of top 4 and have recently done it'. Nobody playing football today remembers when we won the league cup in 1996 even though we treasure it and it is my best ever moment as a villa fan. 

Edited by Captain_Townsend
  • Like 2

Winning a trophy would be the icing on the cake. However the funds brought in by qualifying for CL will help the club grow more over the next few years.

Just look across the city at our neighbours and see what happened to them. They went all in on winning the League cup , took their eye off the relegation battle and are now in the third tier of English football.Didn’t turn out to well for them did it?

So qualify for CL and let the best manager we’ve had build us an Empire built on rock. UTV

Even if we don't try on Thursday we could still lose both remaining games. Imo we should try our best to win these remaining games. We'll know by the palace game whether we need a win or not too. 

Nothing to suggest we will down tools and play like we did against Brighton. The likes of McGinn have played 50 games across competitions so fatigue will factor in. They will continue to give it their all.

I'm trying to remember that we've already achieved something which I would have considered a very good season before a ball was kicked. Furthermore, we've done it without Mings and Buendia (and Kamara for a decent stretch).

It's a shame we couldn't put the race to bed against Brighton - part of me thinks if the Olympiacos game had gone differently we would have - but Spurs are running out of games to close the gap and Man City are chasing down the title.

In terms of how important a Top 4 finish would be compared to winning a trophy, for me the main thing about the Conference League was that it gave us another potential route to the Europa League. Now we've achieved that objective at the least then I think that makes the league finish more of a priority, but I understand why others think otherwise.

I was 6 when we last won the League Cup, although winning the playoffs kind of felt like a trophy win to me in its own way. At the end of the day we don't get to choose, but I find myself thinking about Champions League qualification more than potentially winning the Conference League.

• Like 1