Race for Champions League - 2023/2024

Don_Simon

2 minutes ago, Czarnikjak said:

How far back in time do you go though? Huddersfield are 11th in terms of league titles...are they 11th biggest team in the country? Preston were very good before the wars, are they still big club?

Truth is, we've done and won **** all of note since the 80s, and were left behind the current elite. We're not entitled to anything because of history, if we want to be the 4th biggest club we need to prove it on the pitch and build our image season over season (not just one of top 4 finish, that won't be enough to convince anybody).

Are you sure re Huddersfield ? They’ve won the league three times (in a row, never before and never since, amazing and yes, I looked that up of course) and the FA cup once (sorry to detract from the point you’re trying to make) 

I reckon Spurs will get a win at Chelsea tomorrow. Chelsea now missing Silva and Desai meaning Gilchrist will have to start in defence. Spurs have to go for it now.

• Like 1

Just now, VillaJ100 said:

Chelsea have had their day out vs. us and revert to being completely hopeless I'm guessing 

Their fans think they’re going to get turned over since their 2 extra injuries were announced. Would be typical.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Galway Lion said:

I reckon Spurs will get a win at Chelsea tomorrow. Chelsea now missing Silva and Desai meaning Gilchrist will have to start in defence. Spurs have to go for it now.

Can't they just move Cucerella back to RB if Colwill is fit as he's very often played at LB this season. Or could stick Chalobah at RB.

It will be a 3-2 either way tomorrow I suspect.

Edit: If Spurs lose tomorrow then whisper it quietly but we might already then have enough points for 4th as you'd then expect them with little recovery time to get anything at Anfield. And then losing at home to Man. City wouldn't be a shock at all.

Edited by VillaChris

6 hours ago, RicRic said:

Couldn’t agree more sadly many wont view it that way and of course the limelight teams as you mention will get more global recognition and merit but we are a gigantic club we probably may need to remind some of our younger fanbase but they may laugh, im pretty sure we won the most trophies up until the 80’s aside United and Liverpool… time to claw it all back and get those glory days back, we’ve suffered the last 20 years despite some top 6 challenges. 

Cannot believe im on the verge of seeing us potentially qualify for Champions League… Emery gets a statue from me for that alone 🤝

We are by definition a huge football club, but we’d still get labelled in the media a much smaller club to Man Utd or Liverpool, just the way it is. We’re certainly no smaller than Spurs, Chelsea or Man City based on historical importance but the media would tell you they’re bigger because they are part of the Big Six apparently.

Ultimately though we won’t get taken seriously until we prove we’re big. Top 4 multiple times, winning trophies, signing top players, big revenues. That’s the only way we’ll be recognised as being a big club so hopefully over the years that will happen.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Juju said:

Hey, even if we dont get another point, finish 5th, and get dumped out the cup, its still been the most amazing season in ooh, about 30 years!

Because we competed.

Because games against the big clubs were no longer forgone conclusions.

Becasue some of the football we played was a pleasure. 

Because mostly, the players were loving it, and enjoying it. 

Because the fans in the ground were louder, longer than I can remember - to the point it was mentioned in almost every game tv commentary.

Because peope begane once again, to care.

Because we were talked about again.

That’s good Juju.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Czarnikjak said:

How far back in time do you go though? Huddersfield are 11th in terms of league titles...are they 11th biggest team in the country? Preston were very good before the wars, are they still big club?

Truth is, we've done and won **** all of note since the 80s, and were left behind the current elite. We're not entitled to anything because of history, if we want to be the 4th biggest club we need to prove it on the pitch and build our image season over season (not just one of top 4 finish, that won't be enough to convince anybody).

Still done more than Top 6 Spurs

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Juju said:

Hey, even if we dont get another point, finish 5th, and get dumped out the cup, its still been the most amazing season in ooh, about 30 years!

Because we competed.

Because games against the big clubs were no longer forgone conclusions.

Becasue some of the football we played was a pleasure. 

Because mostly, the players were loving it, and enjoying it. 

Because the fans in the ground were louder, longer than I can remember - to the point it was mentioned in almost every game tv commentary.

Because peope begane once again, to care.

Because we were talked about again.

All true but if we don’t achieve 4th or the cup win, it will take me a while to really appreciate all of that, but I will.

44 minutes ago, Juju said:

Because the fans in the ground were louder, longer than I can remember - to the point it was mentioned in almost every game

Seriously! No Kenneth here!?

4 hours ago, Galway Lion said:

Spurs like to leak goals if Chelsea feel up for it they will score. 

3 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

Spurs like to leak goals if Chelsea feel up for it they will score. 

On paper, they're two teams who both have strong attacks but very leaky defences, so it promises to be a high scoring game.

It'll finish 0-0.

• Haha 1