Race for Champions League - 2023/2024

Don_Simon

10 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

Did European football take a toll on our performances this year? Maybe. 

But that's not to say we will struggle at all, it will likely work out as less games than this season!

It's not the fact the games exist, it's the quality of the opposition. The group stages saw us field a lot of players we wouldn't start in the PL and we only had 6 group games and skipped the knock out phase. In the same period we would be playing 10 CL level opponents, means more required from our best players and 4 more games. 

20 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

I know it's crazy but hear me out. 

There is a case to be made for us going into the Europa League on sporting terms (not financial).

1) The Format has changed to be the same as the Champions League, ie 2 extra games in group stages and a 2 leg knockout for those in 9th to 24th. This essentially removes some of the jeopardy for the top teams and increases the prize pool. 

2) No Champions League teams will drop into the Europa League in the new format, plus the 5th best Italian and German sides will also not be in it s they will go into CL. So the 2 teams from the PL who qualify will surely be the top 2 favourites for the competition

3) Having weaker European games for a club at the stage we are (when a European Championship was on in summer) will be a benefit to our Premier League performance and potentially our ability to make a go at the domestic cups.

4) Progression to Semi final or final stage in Europa League would bring good prize money and be close enough to the level we would get from going out in the playoff phase of the Champions League

5) Winning it is the biggest prize we can realistically win under Emery. We can't win the PL or CL and this is the 3rd best title available.

Why can’t we win them?

We would have been well and truly in the title mix this season if not for our horrendous injury list. Underestimate this manager and this team at your peril. 

7 minutes ago, villa82 said:

It is like saying that Birmingham City want league one because they can fight for promotion there. Or a better comparison, that Leeds will be in the Championship rather than the PL.

They aren't trophies. The only trophies English teams can win EFL Cup, FA Cup, Premier League or one of the 3 European Competitions. 

Finishing positions in the Leagues are qualifiers for competitions. Like winning Championship allows you to compete in Premier League and a chance to win it. 

Same way finishing in the top 4 allows teams to compete in the Champions League and win it.

I actually get where @CVByrne is coming from. Our league form will be impacted next season, no doubt about that. I don’t care.  I just want to hear that Champions League music once in my life time.  I can’t wait ! 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

Don't understand any "I'm not sure if we're ready for the CL" posts. It's small time, loser mentality. 

"I'm not sure we're ready for the Battle of Britain." - Churchill 

I am going to assume the same people were saying Villa weren't ready for Europe last season too! 

Don't think Villa are ever going to be in a position where they can pick and choose what year to qualify for the Champions League. Just got to make the most of it. 

• Like 1

On 19/04/2024 at 08:30, fightoffyour said:

Current Totals: England 17.375. Germany 17.928

But, Villa win both legs in the SFs, go through and win the final => (2 + 2 + 1 + 2) = 0.875 points.

Leverkusen draw both legs, ending the season technically unbeaten, but go out on penalties; Bayern lose both legs; Dortmund also lose both legs => (1 + 1)/7 = 0.286 points.

Final Totals: England 18.250. Germany 18.241

OR

Villa win one leg in the SFs, draw the other, go through and win the final => (2 + 1 + 1 + 2) = 0.75 points.

Leverkusen draw one leg, lose the other; Bayern lose both legs; Dortmund also lose both legs => 1/7 = 0.143 points.

Final Totals: England 18.125. Germany 18.071

CoFC goes marching on!

8nar22.jpg

Not that's it's relevant to use anymore, but Coefficient FC goes marching on tonight and tomorrow. Any more than one win or two draws between the two German teams over both legs would finally knock out CoFC though.

11 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I actually get where @CVByrne is coming from. Our league form will be impacted next season, no doubt about that. I don’t care.  I just want to hear that Champions League music once in my life time.  I can’t wait ! 

I want Champions League too, but my point is the difference between last years CL and EL was bigger in terms of pros/cons than the new format is. 

Let's face it we will be playing in EL League at some point in next few years with Emery here. Hopefully we get one or two visits to CL too. I just want us competing for the top 7/8 positions for the forseeable future

Edited by CVByrne
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

I know it's crazy but hear me out. 

There is a case to be made for us going into the Europa League on sporting terms (not financial).

1) The Format has changed to be the same as the Champions League, ie 2 extra games in group stages and a 2 leg knockout for those in 9th to 24th. This essentially removes some of the jeopardy for the top teams and increases the prize pool. 

2) No Champions League teams will drop into the Europa League in the new format, plus the 5th best Italian and German sides will also not be in it s they will go into CL. So the 2 teams from the PL who qualify will surely be the top 2 favourites for the competition

3) Having weaker European games for a club at the stage we are (when a European Championship was on in summer) will be a benefit to our Premier League performance and potentially our ability to make a go at the domestic cups.

4) Progression to Semi final or final stage in Europa League would bring good prize money and be close enough to the level we would get from going out in the playoff phase of the Champions League

5) Winning it is the biggest prize we can realistically win under Emery. We can't win the PL or CL and this is the 3rd best title available.

That is exactly what Spurs fans are saying. They are desperate for a trophy of any sort. We've never had CL and I want it and the team want it. Test ourselves against the very best and see what might happen. 

5 minutes ago, rubberman said:

That is exactly what Spurs fans are saying. They are desperate for a trophy of any sort. We've never had CL and I want it and the team want it. Test ourselves against the very best and see what might happen. 

They are right to say it, they know they have massive financial clout now to rival the top clubs especially after the new pegging of spending. They have also been in CL many many times and really just want to win a final and start accruing some Trophies.

I think we are in a different position, CL for us will be a big profile raise and will massively help Heck with getting commercial partners and revenue growth

• Like 1

I dunno, this season we've had Europe to contend with on top of what feels like about 6 first team players missing per game on average through injury and it hasn't prevented what has thus far been an excellent season from occurring. The CL format is more hectic but if it were balanced out with better luck with injuries and a potentially improved squad after the summer window then it could definitely be manageable. 

There's also an element of be careful what you wish for, Villa are doing phenomenally well this season, but at the same time all of Newcastle, United, Chelsea will consider their seasons to be disappointing ones that they can improve on next time around, Spurs have the financial scope to improve etc. Through no fault of Villa's this chance to qualify for the CL again might not arise in the short term simply due to how tough this league can be.

And anyway, let's say they qualify for the Champions League, the format takes a bit of a toll on league form and we end up finishing in the Europa League spots next season as a result, I don't really think that's the end of the world on balance.

14 hours ago, TRO said:

Are we ready for Champions league?.....missing out on the Europa, is a huge step up.

Don't get me wrong, I want to achieve it, but I wonder, if we are actually ready for it.

If we secure top 4 in the premier league we are ready for the champions league.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CVByrne said:

It's not the fact the games exist, it's the quality of the opposition. The group stages saw us field a lot of players we wouldn't start in the PL and we only had 6 group games and skipped the knock out phase. In the same period we would be playing 10 CL level opponents, means more required from our best players and 4 more games. 

But we might play Sturm Graz, Monaco Fenerbhace and Stuttgard. Bring in another 3 players ready for first team, and we could have a week of playing say Spurs Saturday, Monaco Tuesday and Palace or Sunday. 

With a midfield of Kamara, Luiz, Rogers, McGinn, Tielemans, Ramsey, Buendia and one more senior player, we could very realistically rotate to always have a competitive side. 

I think there is no such thing as being 'ready' for CL football. What does that even mean? Having a CL worthy team for 3 years before you qualify for it?

I think there is a strong argument to say Watkins playing in Madrid on Tuesday will be even more fired up to score goals against Wolves at the weekend. 

I say bring it on. 

• Like 1

Isn't the new synching of European competitions next season in order that all rounds of euro games in all comps are played on the same dates? If I haven't imagined that then the only difference between being in conference or UCL will be level of opposition - europe will take its toll on the schedule whichever comp you are in. Therefore,  deffo UCL please for lots of reasons.