Race for Champions League - 2023/2024

Don_Simon

Excellent in the second half today. 4 points needed and it's champions league football next season.

If Spurs did manage to finish 4th on over 70 points you will have to take your hat of to them, that would be some effort from them. But I think they won't, Villa are in the driving seat now 

• Like 2

Incredible that at this stage of the season we're only 8 points off the top. Obviously we've not even been outsiders for the title for quite a while now, but it just goes to show what an amazing season this is.

By this point in 2008/09 we were 5th and 22 points off top, and had 11 less points than we have now with a much inferior GD.

Edited by Mantis
  • Like 3

18 minutes ago, DevonIsAPlaceOnEarth said:

Huge win today. If Arsenal do their job next week, and we get something against Chelsea…

Need to beat Chelsea or Brighton

17 minutes ago, DevonIsAPlaceOnEarth said:

Huge win today. If Arsenal do their job next week, and we get something against Chelsea…

We beat Chelsea and they lose to Arsenal and Chelsea at the Bridge and we can basically wrap up 4th at Brighton. Would have us 12 ahead and they'd then have to beat Liverpool and Man. City to have any chance (and even then we'd just need a point).

Was a tough opening 40 minutes but the performance after was sensational really.

This team has the hunger and bottle to secure CL before the end of the season and win our first trophy for nearly 30 years don't worry about that given what we've seen in the last week.

22 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Two wins from last 4 games and we'll end 4th. 

Chelsea next will be tough as they're chasing European football as 6th will likely be Europa League and 7th is Conference, but they are away to Arsenal mid week while we can have a rest and Luiz is back. 

Surely it will be even tougher for Spurs playing them away. A draw is fine v Chelsea if Spurs then lose to Chelsea as they now need to make up three games on us.

We're in a very good position.  Another game ticked off. Beat Chelsea go 9 pounts ahead of Spurs before they play 

Edited by PaulC
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, Mantis said:

Yeah but that's because they have an unbreakable psychological curse over us, not because they're any good.

We played both games without Pau and Konsa was out for the VP match.

Have those two at CB in both games next season and we'll take 4 points at worse.

• Like 1

Just need to approach every game like a cup final now. One game at a time. 

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, PaulC said:

We're in a very good position.  Another game ticked off. Beat Chelsea go 9 pounts ahead of Spurs before they play 

If we beat Chelsea then I think 4th place is ours. Tottenham will have to win their next the games against Arsenal, Chelsea and Liverpool just to be level. Fair play to them if they do, but I can't see that happening.  

55 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Two wins from last 4 games and we'll end 4th. 

Chelsea next will be tough as they're chasing European football as 6th will likely be Europa League and 7th is Conference, but they are away to Arsenal mid week while we can have a rest and Luiz is back. 

tbf our best performances in 2 of the last 3 games was without Luiz.

5 points from the next 4 games should be enough. That would put us on 71 points. If we manage even 1.5 pts a game though that would be 6 points and finishing on 72. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Made In Aston said:

If we beat Chelsea then I think 4th place is ours. Tottenham will have to win their next the games against Arsenal, Chelsea and Liverpool just to be level. Fair play to them if they do, but I can't see that happening.  

Obviously I think we'll go for the win but even a draw wouldn't be that bad with these last two wins we've banked. 7 points from Arsenal away, Bournemouth home and Chelsea home is the upper end of what most would've expected. Indeed I think most would've been happy with 6 from those fixtures 8 days ago.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mantis said:

Obviously I think we'll go for the win but even a draw wouldn't be that bad with these last two wins we've banked. 7 points from Arsenal away, Bournemouth home and Chelsea home is the upper end of what most would've expected. Indeed I think most would've been happy with 6 from those fixtures 8 days ago.

I agree. I think a draw is a good result, but I also feels like that puts pressure on a Brighton game sandwiched between the semifinal legs. This is the most rest this team will have until the Palace game, need to take advantage. Hoping Zaniolo is back, and maybe how about a favor for once from the injury gods to bring Moreno back into contention?

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, romavillan said:

5 points from the next 4 games should be enough. That would put us on 71 points. If we manage even 1.5 pts a game though that would be 6 points and finishing on 72. 

When I did the numbers. I thought Spurs would win 3 of the remaining 6 games, draw one and lose 2. Which gives them 10 points and end on 70. So we needed 70 points and a better goal difference (which is risky as they play Sheffield United last game of season) or we need 71+ 

• Like 2

Great win and performance, the team has character, especially coming from behind.

Now a needed rest for the team, Luiz getting back would be huge, Chelsea will be a tough team to play. 

Arsenal will be tired playing Spurs, we can’t fully rely on them, although hopefully Arsenal could win that. 

Last game against Chelsea was bad, let’s hope Emery can read them better this time. A win with Spurs losing could give alus a breathing space to focus on Europe.

28 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

tbf our best performances in 2 of the last 3 games was without Luiz.

Blasphemy I know, but, is there scope for the team that played today be the First XI moving forward? Who would you take out for Chelsea to allow Luiz in?