Race for Champions League - 2023/2024

Don_Simon

28 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

I reckon he’d do about the same as he did at Arsenal. 

Emery is better when he has a squad of humble players who are patient enough and willing to buy into his methods and meticulous level of detail. 

He seems to struggle managing a squad of big egos. All his success in his career has come with sides that finish around 4-8th. 

Fair point but even that was 5th place and a Europa league final.  I guess Ten Hag’s first season wasn’t too bad either though.

11 hours ago, useless said:

Newcastle are no threat whatsoever, they're ten points behind with only eighteen points to play for, if it was the other way around and we were ten points behind them with six games left, not one person would be suggesting that we could catch them. The only team that are a threat to us are Spurs

Funny you mention about it being the other way round. I remember people on here on the equivalent thread last year being adamant Villa could still finish top 4 after we beat Newcastle. 

Edited by RichW

I don't remember that at all, but when we beat Newcastle last season, we had seven games left to play and were only six points behind them

16 minutes ago, RichW said:

Funny you mention about it being the other way round. I remember people on here on the equivalent thread last year being adamant Villa could still finish top 4 after we beat Newcastle. 

Adamant that villa can do something positive but other teams can't do the same? 

Sound like my kind of villa fan 😉

As shit as Utd were, Bournemouth looked really good and we have to be at the top of our game to get 3 points next week.  I wouldn't mind Iraola being our next manager, hopefully we've still got a other 15 years of Unai first though.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, useless said:

I don't remember that at all, but when we beat Newcastle last season, we had seven games left to play and were only six points behind them

They were one or two games less though. 

1 hour ago, sharkyvilla said:

As shit as Utd were, Bournemouth looked really good and we have to be at the top of our game to get 3 points next week.  I wouldn't mind Iraola being our next manager, hopefully we've still got a other 15 years of Unai first though.

Bournemouth are a very good team, it was always going to be a tough game. Brentford and Bournemouth are always tricky despite their form. However, especially for these games I guess us being at home is on our side, the main issue is we’re playing them without Luiz. 
Anyway I’m glad with results of this week, let’s see what happens with Arsenal then my whole focus will be on Lille. Results gave us chance to worry about the league again next week. 

7 hours ago, ben1505 said:

What’s the most points that Leverkusen can get from the semi final onwards?

I did it in one of my previous posts but it wouldn’t be enough as Arsenal and City would play each other 

17 hours ago, Tayls said:

Whilst we are seemingly going to finish top 5… I do think there is a small, legitimate concern with Newcastle now. Because they are in decent form and seem to be steam rolling over sides again like they were doing last season. They are facing all bottom half sides for the remainder of their games. Cast your mind back to how embarrassing we were against Tottenham at home and look what Newcastle have managed to do to them today. 

I officially concede regarding Man U. They aren’t catching us. 

Why are we all talking about united and Newcastle and no longer mentioning spurs, THEY are our only concern at this stage until the end of the season.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, RicRic said:

Why are we all talking about united and Newcastle and no longer mentioning spurs, THEY are our only concern at this stage until the end of the season.

Unless Arsenal and City win in the week, in which case Spurs become of no real concern to us whatsoever.

• Like 3

Newcastle are definitely a bigger threat than United now. They have good form and good fixtures. Really not inconceivable they win six out of six (unlike United who are not performing near that level.) Two wins and a draw from us though means they’ll have to do that to go above us. A point today would be massive!

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, villan95 said:

I just hope 4th doesn't come down to those 2 late goals Spurs got at VP as they were completely unnecessary.

Was thinking exactly this yesterday. It would likely have been 2 nil or 2 -1 to Tottenham without the red card. That's up to a six goal difference swing. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, jayEm said:

Newcastle are definitely a bigger threat than United now. They have good form and good fixtures. Really not inconceivable they win six out of six (unlike United who are not performing near that level.) Two wins and a draw from us though means they’ll have to do that to go above us. A point today would be massive!

If Newcastle win 10 out of 12 to end the season. And we win 4 or 5 out of 12. I don't think we could have any complaints.

2 minutes ago, turvontour said:

If Newcastle win 10 out of 12 to end the season. And we win 4 or 5 out of 12. I don't think we could have any complaints.

I agree it’s not exactly CL form. But looking at the players we have available and how exhausted the squad is as a result of injuries I don’t really care how we get there.

45 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Unless Arsenal and City win in the week, in which case Spurs become of no real concern to us whatsoever.

Well, it'd still be quite nice to finish 4th but yeah, if that happened then you can all but close this thread down and relax as far as the league's concerned.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, LondonLax said:

I reckon he’d do about the same as he did at Arsenal. 

Emery is better when he has a squad of humble players who are patient enough and willing to buy into his methods and meticulous level of detail. 

He seems to struggle managing a squad of big egos. All his success in his career has come with sides that finish around 4-8th. 

I don’t totally disagree but I think he would be way better at Arsenal today than last time out, and also think it’s generally overlooked that he’s PSG’s most successful ever manager. But yes I think he’s more suited to the ‘challenger’ bracket.

I think another 7 points could give us 4th and I know Newcastle would prefer to be in our position rather than their own. You can never write off that Manchester lot, but they won't win all of their remaining games, which they would have to do, if we can somehow get those 7 points. I think that Spurs could well lose their next 3 games and Newcastle will hopefully be sobbing on the Tyne again. We just need to find it in us, to get those 7 points and the sooner the better, but I suspect that it may go to the last game. 

Just now, John said:

I think another 7 points could give us 4th and I know Newcastle would prefer to be in our position rather than their own. You can never write off that Manchester lot, but they won't win all of their remaining games, which they would have to do, if we can somehow get those 7 points. I think that Spurs could well lose their next 3 games and Newcastle will hopefully be sobbing on the Tyne again. We just need to find it in us, to get those 7 points and the sooner the better, but I suspect that it may go to the last game. 

Lol you don't say

• Haha 1